It's fun to do scales in groups of notes, and to start the next group a note above or below where the last group started.
For example, ascending the Gmajor scale in groups of 4. You could play G A B C, A B C D, B C D E, C D E F, G.
Going to need a bit more information than that, I could point you to literally thousands.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I really like runs in a Harmonic Minor. Compared to a regular minor, just sharpen the 7th so it's a major 7, and you have a full two fret gap between the 6 and 7. I like to play those scales and do lots of hovering around the back to back semitone intervals of the 2-3 and the 7-1. Real evil sounding.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Nov 22, 2014,
Quote by the_bi99man
I really like runs in a Melodic Minor. Compared to a regular minor, just sharpen the 7th so it's a major 7, and you have a full two fret gap between the 6 and 7. I like to play those scales and do lots of hovering around the back to back semitone intervals of the 2-3 and the 7-1. Real evil sounding.

The scale you're talking about there is the harmonic minor. Melodic minor is, I think, a natural 6 and 7 on the way up, but I also don't think many guitarists observe the differences between the ascending and descending versions of the scale anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I was trying scale runs on pentatonic scale fpr the first time, man it sure has some big stretches, how common are these?

and also I was tryig 4 note a string, its really hard for me as my fingers are small. Any advice for that?

and yes I like the harmonic minor. And yes I want thousands of scale runs ^^^^^ lol
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The scale you're talking about there is the harmonic minor. Melodic minor is, I think, a natural 6 and 7 on the way up, but I also don't think many guitarists observe the differences between the ascending and descending versions of the scale anyway.

Haha. You beat me to it as I was editing my post. Almost immediately after I wrote that I was like, "wait a minute...." And yeah, the melodic minor is, at least the way I've understood it, a natural 6 and 7 on the way up, then flat 6 and 7, so regular minor scale, when descending. It also sounds really cool. I'm a big fan in general of scales that use a minor third with a major seventh. Gives the whole 7-1-2-3 range a diminished feel, with the two separated one-semitone intervals.
Straight scale runs are actually pretty uncommon, mainly because they sound boring...you'll rarely get more than 3 or 4 sequential notes. Longer runs tend to be more arpeggio based, larger intervals but a more harmonically coherent sound.

However what I think are called "braid" runs are quite common, certainly far more common than straight scale sequences. I think they're referred to as braids brcause the patterns "loop back" on themselves as they ascend/descend, stuff like this.

e|--15-12-----12--------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------15----15-12--15-12-----12-------------------------------------------------
G|---------------------------14-----14-12----14-12-----12---------------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------14-----14-12---14-12----12-------
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------14----14-12-
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hey is that called a loop back? I have been doing those recently they are quite cool. Please explain those diminished scale and stuff.
Quote by inchindar
Hey is that called a loop back? I have been doing those recently they are quite cool. Please explain those diminished scale and stuff.

ahh the diminished scale .. a real treasure..just the basic info on it for now..its an 8 tone scale...C D Eb F Gb Ab A B..its a symmetrical scale. common name is Whoe/Half diminished..it repeats on every minor 3rd note..so the arpeggio is C Eb Gb A ..

Move it up to Db and then D..and you have all the diminished scales..

the C dim scale works well on dominate chords a half step lower..in this case B7..now you can start the scale on B.(this is commonly called a Half step/Whole step diminished) BUT it is still a C diminished scale .. no need in making it super complicated - you can name the scale any of the notes in the arpeggio..C Eb Gb A..but remember that the main scale name is C..same with Db and D dim

the scale is also know for producing 7b9 chords..in C dim they would be: B7b9 D7b9 F7b9 Ab7b9--all with no root tone!

now..find other chords that are within the scale (hint: D7 is one)..have fun

play well

wolf