A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about me constantly breaking the high E string on bends. I'd broken seven E strings in seven days.

Those replying thought it would be burrs or rough spots on the frets, as the strings break right at the 7th or 8th frets where I'm making these bends repeatedly. The bends are only two steps (one whole note) or maybe a little more.

I spent a few hours going over all of the frets with a 10X magnifier, and sanding each one. I started with 400 grit and went 600, 1000, 1500 and then 2000. The frets were nice and shiny and there wasn't a mark anywhere.

I'm still breaking strings. I've noticed that after playing songs with these bends, I can feel a bump in the string right where the fret is. It seems as though the string is getting bent around the curve of the fret, and that becomes the weak spot.

Previously my multi-step bends were up around the 12th or 15th frets and never caused a problem.

Any suggestions as to what to look for?
How are the saddles? Have a look for rough spots on them. Sharp grooves etc.

It's common for strings to break because the saddles can get sharp spots from being worn against for a long time.

I don't know if that could cause a string to break where it is for you, but it's worth looking at.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

If it was the saddle, it would break at the saddle. Ditto for the nut.

It's breaking right at the 7th and 8th frets, which is where I've been doing the bends the last couple of weeks. I'm doing bends on other frets on songs I play, but not over and over again as I'm doing rehearsing these licks.
Have you tried heavier gauge strings? If there are dents in the strings you are really bearing down on them. Loosen up your hand.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I'm using .011 on the E, .013 on the B, .018 on the G, .026 on the D, .038 on the A and .050 on the low E.

I've raised the action on the E, B, and G strings so that I don't have to push down as much as I have to push up. I still need to get a good grip on them, though. I wonder if the strings are too heavy.

Still, I can't figure out why I'm breaking strings on the 7th and 8th frets when I've been doing bends on the others for over 2 1/2 years without problems.
post pictures of your frets if you can

how deep are the grooves?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
That's a very bizarre problem.

Frets are too smooth to break a string. I honestly think its your technique or the strings being too light (or old), because there's no other explanation.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Frets are too smooth to break a string. I honestly think its your technique or the strings being too light (or old), because there's no other explanation.

I'm changing high E strings pretty much every other night, so they're not old. I jut put a new set of all 6 strings on this guitar two nights ago.

Is .011 too light? I always thought that .009 was more or less standard. I've used .012, but that really requires a lot of strength to bend.
10's should be fine for E standard.

I really don't know how else to help you dude. sorry.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.