Well here is my latest Metal song. Give me your opinions and tips and tricks!

I would love to add in some kind lead at the end as it fades out, but anything I tried sounded like crap because I'm awful at lead.

Prologue To My Doom

And as always, Crit For Crit!
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol
I like the vocals. The song has a pretty evil vibe. I dont hear much bass guitar though. I like the ending riff and how it fades out. A lot of people complain about fade outs, but I like them in certain occasions and this is one of them
cool! vocals are definitely the strongest point of the song, although i think they're verging on being a little too busy. leads are easier than you'd think, it's all about hitting the right notes. less is always more!!!
by the way, i stole this riff.
Pretty brutal stuff here. It's got a black metal feel to it, dimmu borgir-ish. I like the vocal content and the vocal style, i'm all about the dark evil lyrics. I dig the slower tempo it gives it a head bobbing mood and thats whats up. I think it would benefit from a lead in there somewhere maybe a insturmental break somewhere? I also like the fade out it lends itself well to mesh together with the next track on a EP or album or whatever, Maybe dick around with some synths or something to go over the fade out? Idk just bouncing ideas, feel free to tell me to **** off haha. Over all not a bad quality recording ethier, alot of people suffer from shitty recordings i would know i used to be one of them not that mine are that great at the moment but compared to some of my old stuff....lol....,, what are you guys using? Or is it all you? Are you on the face of book got a band page on there?

Keep it up.

\m/
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Hah, its all me. I program the drums, add bass and EQ with FL Studio. Wish I could be a vocalist in a band, but to be honest, I don't think I'd have time to be full-time in a band :\ Maybe I'll just find someone online that will can play the guitar better than I and I'll drop some drums and vocals into it. I'll try to add some kind of synth-y thing, but I don't know if I have anything that will mesh with it very well and usually I write my guitar around synth-y stuff if I'm going to use it. I've never tried the other way around, creature of habit and all that. I would love to add lead, but as I said, I'm terrible at it. I know its all about hitting the right notes, but anything I play over it sounds awful to me, lol. I'll try to bring the bass out, though its a VSTi bass seeing as how I don't have a real bass anymore. Hopefully I can play around with it to make it sound less fake.

Thanks for the replies, guys!
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

Quote by Bleak
Hah, its all me. I program the drums, add bass and EQ with FL Studio. Wish I could be a vocalist in a band, but to be honest, I don't think I'd have time to be full-time in a band :\ Maybe I'll just find someone online that will can play the guitar better than I and I'll drop some drums and vocals into it. I'll try to add some kind of synth-y thing, but I don't know if I have anything that will mesh with it very well and usually I write my guitar around synth-y stuff if I'm going to use it. I've never tried the other way around, creature of habit and all that. I would love to add lead, but as I said, I'm terrible at it. I know its all about hitting the right notes, but anything I play over it sounds awful to me, lol. I'll try to bring the bass out, though its a VSTi bass seeing as how I don't have a real bass anymore. Hopefully I can play around with it to make it sound less fake.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

PM me i might be able to help you out with some leads. the song you listened to of mine. Illusions, is one of the more simple songs we play, im always down to help another metalhead!
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Done and done, m'friend. Any help you're willing to give, I'm willing to accept!
Quote by mangablade

Love the vocals. Love the intro. The section around 2:03 is really heavy and my favorite part. The mix sounds good; I would love a bit more low end. Good track to jam out to!
I must say I like it more than most of whats out there. It is a good mix of Black and Death. The intro is short and sweet. Don't worry about it... To me the mix is a little thin, a la early Obituary. Or too many black metal records. If that is what youre going for here, it works. Fade out is fine for this song. Don't use it too much on an album, though. Vokills are great, but be sure not to overprocess. I really like it! Good luck to you!
I did a bit of EQing and all that. Let me know how it sounds, now m'friends!
Quote by mangablade

I really enjoyed the vocals, specially how you used the different screams together. I feel the kick gets a little lost in the song sometimes, maybe try using a sidechain compression in the bass or give the kick a little more click.

That intro bought the song very nicely.

Your guitar sounds a little more scooped than necessary, could try giving it a little more mids.

I felt the song lacked a more outstanding bridge, but that's really all I can complain about the composition. And yeah, a lead at the outro would really give the song a lot, but I'd do something very simple, a synth lead would also be an option I'd consider.

Great song man, keep up the great work!
Hah, that's why we post our songs here, right? No worries, m'friend. I'm unfortunately not a good enough guitarist to really bring out all the stops. I've always been more of a metal vocalist that could ind of play guitar well enough to make a song, hah. One of these days I'll find someone to play guitar for me on a track. I'll see what I can do about un-burying the guitars a bit.

Thanks again for your input, dude!
Quote by mangablade

good performance! i really don't listen to much metal but still i liked it. one thing i really liked about the overall performance is even with the programmed drums as someone's mentioned before, the track still sounds organic overall. they don't take away from anything really. personally i would love to hear that guitar turned up and maybe sounding a little more meaty or full, slightly boosting the mids might help in unburying them as you've mentioned above. the vocals sounded really cool, esp. the sort of ominous parts with the dissonant sort of harmonies. the only thing i could see for improvement is maybe writing an ending section? the fade out, in my opinion, came in at sort of an awkward spot, but you might have intended a reason fit for the fade out in the track that i might not be picking up on. overall, cool track, good mix
Thanks for the crit! I took the advice you and mp8 suggested and boosted the mids a bit for the guitar. I'm working on hopefully getting something added for the ending. It fades out around there so it didn't drone on forever while I was thinking of what to add to the ending section, hah.

The new sound should be up and such.

Thanks again, guys!
Quote by mangablade

Hey,

As I've appraised earlier, your vocals are great. Very nice, tidy vocal production and filthy, powerful singing.

Guitars sound good as well. If you feel like it, you could try out some little lead guitar to decorate the song a little bit. On the other hand, there might not be room for that because of the busy vocals. Also, technical lead playing doesn't fit the style very well, so if you are going to try something, I advice to keep it simple

I would love to hear a dirty, grinding bass guitar. That would bring the track to a whole new level.

Nevertheless, this might be my favorite track from you yet. Waiting for the next one

Cheers!
So I've decided to re-work pretty much all the guitar in the song. I'm working with another member to get some awesome lead added to the ending of it all as well. So the ending might seem pretty bland as of now. Let me know if the new guitar work is welcomed or not!
Quote by mangablade