I have a DD-3 as I like digital delay. I have it placed the last effect in the effects loop. Now I'm thinking about getting an analog delay. I was looking into the MXR carbon copy and the EHX memory toy. I tried both but at different stores so can't really compare the minor differences. What do you think. Also, do you place the analog delay in the effects loop or not (your personal preference)?
well, i personally love the modelling on my TC flashback. i A/B'ed it with a carbon copy and an aqua puss and if i tried for a min or so, could emulate their tones almost exactly. so, i bought it. i gave up the ghost on analog delay.

DONT get the memory toy. i dont think its a good pedal. i think if you bought it to save 50 bucks, you will quickly realize that you would have rather paid the 50 for the carbon copy. its so much better. SOOO much better.

the memory BOY is a different story. way different.

another solid option is the malekko 616 analog. good reputation and alternative to the MXR. i really like the aquapuss. classic analog tone, but it only goes to about 300 ms or so. if you get teh repeats right, 300 can go a long way, but for some people trying to get really spacey with it, or ambient etc 300 wont cut it. generally, in the old days technology would only really allow 300 MS. the aqua puss is a re-production type old style curcuit, so they did that on purpose.

earhtquacker devices disaster trasnport JR is nice, think its digital but known for pulling of a quality analog delay tone.

CMAT mods has an analog for about 150. i have no reference other than CMAT mods makes great stuff and i liked thier signa drive.

carl martin red repeat?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Nov 23, 2014,
either delay is fine. you can do it either way but in the loop is usually a little better sonically speaking.
that new seymour duncan one looks quite nice. haven't tried it, though.

some analogue delays might have a volume drop in the loop. certainly my tonerider did. so that might make your mind up for you when it comes to deciding where to put it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for replying. The malekko is hard to get here. The first time round I tried the memory toy and I did not like it, but the memory boy was out of stock. I also tried the CC it is a nice delay but I was looking for something brighter. The aquapuss at 300 ms is not enough generally I set my delay at about 400ms. when I got my DD-3 i tried the flashback and it was really the other one i really liked, but then i went for the dd3 as it is brighter and more clear on digital delays. so i decided now i should get an analog one to get the sound similar to the edge and david gilmour.

ill see if i can find a duncan delay locally. and if the memory boy is so much better than the memory toy, its good as they are the same price here.
and you get a volume drop in the effects loop on the wet signal only or also on the dry signal?
The CC is really dark. I use mine all the time to thicken up my tone which it does really well. I never turn it off. I personally think this is its best use.
I run it just before my DD-3 which I use as a long delay pedal.
Carbon copy works fine in most loops. I find it is best for slapback; a bit too dark sounding for gilmour-esque solos. You really cant go wrong with any of the boss delays, they just seem to sit nicely in a band mix. I currently have a dd-3 and dd-6 on my board.
Quote by Gab_Azz
and you get a volume drop in the effects loop on the wet signal only or also on the dry signal?

I can't remember actually. I think just when I turned the pedal on- but I can't remember if just the delayed notes were too soft then, or everything.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pro guitar shop sells modded TC variants. think one its called the alter ego? it is all analog / tape models. differes because the flashback does everything, the alter ego or whatever it is is only older tape and analog models specifically. so that could be a great option for you.

dude this is 100 bucks. thats your ticket.

http://proguitarshop.com/tc-electronic-alter-ego-2.html

i doubt your getting that much versatility for even close to 100.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)