Hey everyone,
First off, I feel like a thread like this has been made a bunch of times before, so I apologize for adding another one too a list. I am looking for a good distortion pedal that will give me a nice hard rock sound. I'm looking for something along the lines of Guns N' Roses, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin's hard rock songs, and maybe some AC/DC. I do NOT want it to be heavy enough to sound like Metallica or metal, just simply hard rock. My budget is around $100, but I will be willing to go over if it means I can get something better. If it helps, I use a Les Paul Standard for the most part. Thanks!
What amp/other effects are you using? Where are you located?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
It is a little pricier, but check out the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, which is a dual Dist/OD.

They also make the Son of Hyde- distortion only- which is $99.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by red.guitar
What amp/other effects are you using? Where are you located?

Currently using a Line 6 Spider IV 15 (it sucks I know) but I'm looking to upgrade to a Marshall DSL40C in the near future. Location is Connecticut.
Edit: forgot to add I am also using a Crybaby 535Q wah pedal.
Last edited by joe783 at Nov 23, 2014,
If that DSL is not too far out in the future, I'd personally save the $100, and put it towards getting the DSL sooner. That amp should do what your looking for.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
If that DSL is not too far out in the future, I'd personally save the $100, and put it towards getting the DSL sooner. That amp should do what your looking for.

I have enough money for the DSL, the problem is that I'm too lazy to buy it haha. However I just read that some come with a foot switch to go back and forth between channels, which if mine does, I won't need a pedal. However, if I end up getting one, which of the following do you reccomend?
MXR Distortion 3
MXR Distortion M104+
T-Rex Tonebug Distortion
Thanks for the help.
As far as I know, all of the DSL's are dual channel (clean & distorted), that is slectable via footswitch (reverb is as well I think). If you have the cash, then get off of your lazy a$$, and go get the damn thing . There's no point in wasting $100 on a pedal, only to buy a new amp and primarily use its distorted channel.

I don't have any experience with those pedals. Whenever I buy a pedal, I usually just buy it, regardless weather I think I'll really like it or not, and bring it home to throw in my set-up to play with. Long and Mcquade has great 30 day return policy, so I can always bring it back if it doesn't jive with my set-up. At the very least, if you have the option, go to a local store and try them out on an amp like yours or similar. I could tell you that I love one of those pedals, and you may hate it
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 23, 2014,
Yep if you will buy a pedal, what is so much harder about just buying the amp? your either going to the store or ordering online, so just get the amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by joe783
I have enough money for the DSL, the problem is that I'm too lazy to buy it haha. However I just read that some come with a foot switch to go back and forth between channels, which if mine does, I won't need a pedal. However, if I end up getting one, which of the following do you reccomend?
MXR Distortion 3
MXR Distortion M104+
T-Rex Tonebug Distortion
Thanks for the help.

dude get the amp and then get yourself an overdrive and you will be good to go. don't let lazy really mean stupid.