Page 1 of 2
I've been asking some friends about how and when did they start listening to metal, and one of the most frequent responses was that they started at age of 10-15, played Guitar Hero and got hooked on stuff like Metallica, In Flames and Slipknot.

And then I think about it - Guitar Hero was part of my childhood, as well... I liked Monsters by Matchbook Romance most of all and I even started playing guitar to learn that song

So, what do you think, is Guitar Hero responsible for kids getting into metal and keeping the metal scene populated?
How and when did you start listening to metal?
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
>implying guitar hero is still relevant

come on, last guitar hero was more than 4 years ago, even activision realized guitar sucks and they went on with DJ hero and DJ hero 2.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The thing with Metal, at least in Europe it never really went away. It was just lying dormant. Especially in mainland Europe with the 90's second wave of Black Metal and the Power Metal scene having a thing.

Never thought Guitar Hero was really relevant myself, but if it got kids into music, great.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Lol guitar hero being relevant. Is it 2007 again?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Guitar hero was scrapped.

It's not even relevant anymore lol.

Metal lives through other means
ayy lmao
Quote by Jackintehbox
Metal isn't relevant, but that's okay.
qft
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
you wanna know how relevant Guitar Hero is?

Gamestop has a rack of used PS2 games. 90% of them are Guitar Hero and other music games.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by TheNameOfNoone

lmao the hell does that even mean??

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Banjocal
qft

I should clarify that I mean it's okay that it's not relevant because it's still being put out and is still great, not that it's okay because it sucks.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone

Quote by Xiaoxi

valid question

see most of us naturally listen to music via our ears

well, metalheads tend to listen to it through the ass

hence,

the purpose of the upright fingertips is to be inserted into others in order to listen to metal music as a group

in conclusion, guitar hero is no longer relevant

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by Spambot_2
>implying guitar hero is still relevant

come on, last guitar hero was more than 4 years ago, even activision realized guitar sucks and they went on with DJ hero and DJ hero 2.

That's just an attempt to get PC users to make the switch to a Mac and wubz.
Rockband was better until i tried playing their awful cover version of Holiday in Combodia and everything was wrong.

especially the backwards bass line.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Xiaoxi

I mean, by what means have you heard your first metal song that you liked?
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by TheNameOfNoone
I mean, by what means have you heard your first metal song that you liked?

With my ears.
I've only played Guitar Hero a couple of times and that was only playing classic rock

I got myself into metal by listening to metal

Nobody even plays Guitar Hero anymore, people still listen to metal. 'nuff said.
I have nothing important to say
I knew a bunch of people a few years ago that started playing guitar and listening to certain artists and bands because of Guitar Hero, so it certainly did something, but nobody plays Guitar Hero or Rock Band anymore, they're not relevant anymore.

I still feel dumb for buying all those peripherals, though I'll feel considerably less dumb if I can find a way to turn that drum peripheral into a MIDI drum controller
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I lived my childhood in a town where no one knew what metal was. If it was not for guitar hero I would probably never get in touch with metal at all.
my buddy's ex-wife makes $83 /hour on the laptop . She has been fired for six months but last month her pay check was $14346 just working on the laptop for a few
hours. visit the site....
=================
WWW.USA-REVIEW.COM
=================
Metal is relevant because it deals with issues that people experience in their day-to-day lives, such as with Gloryhammer's song, The Unicorn Invasion Of Dundee.
I hated all the metal songs on Guitar Hero and Rock Band
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Serious answer, somewhat relevant: I would probably not be a guitarist if I didn't play Guitar Hero. I didn't have any interest in guitars but my mum bought one for me because I was very good at Guitar Hero.
Guitar Hero definitely made a generation aware of bands they wouldn't normally be exposed to. I know that I wouldn't have even been aware of Herman Ri if it wasn't for this forum and Guitar Hero.

That and Buckethead having the hardest song in the second game
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by chrismendiola
Serious answer, somewhat relevant: I would probably not be a guitarist if I didn't play Guitar Hero. I didn't have any interest in guitars but my mum bought one for me because I was very good at Guitar Hero.

Yep same here, it made me finally want to go out and buy a cheap guitar after putting it off for a few years.

This thread seems like it was bumped straight from '09 though.
Quote by MeTallIcA313

if only ;_;
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
It's the reason I picked up guitar and helped me find a lot of new bands I never would have considered listening to otherwise.
the last time i remember having fun with a Guitar Hero / Rock Band game was playing Sabotage and No Sleep Til Brooklyn over and over until i realized how easy the Sabotage bassline is.

and i was playing sucking at guitar way before Guitar Hero got popular.
Quote by MeTallIcA313

thought for sure
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Guitar Hero keeping metal relevant? Guitar Hero isn't even relevant these days, so, no. The last one I remember being 'relevant' was the one with Slash in it. Even when Guitar Hero 4 came out, nobody really seemed to care anymore.

I see loads of younger kids walking around wearing shirts with metal bands on the front and it's quite likely they missed out on the Guitar Hero fad.

People get into metal usually the same way as they've always done, through either friends or parents.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Guitar Hero hasn't been relevant since 2009. Way to be late to the party.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Both Guitar Hero and Rock Band were influential to some (including myself) at the height of their popularity. As of today, they've been pretty forgotten. So yes, the inclusion of metal songs in these games brought in a new fan base of younger kids, but today those games are pretty irrelevant. Why pick up a big piece of plastic with 5 colored buttons when you could play a real 6-string?
Quote by sophiaanderson7
my buddy's ex-wife makes $83 /hour on the laptop . She has been fired for six months but last month her pay check was $14346 just working on the laptop for a few
hours. visit the site....
=================
WWW.USA-REVIEW.COM
=================

buddy none of those numbers add up
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
I thought this was a bump. I'm ashamed in UG at the moment.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Page 1 of 2