Get a Duncan Custom
3 14%
Get a Duncan JB
7 33%
Get a Duncan Invader
2 10%
Voters: 21.
Page 1 of 2
Hello there guys, I need your advice as I'm not sure what to do. I was gifted a Mexican SSS Strat about 2 years ago (20 months to be precise) by my parents. I've loved the guitar since then, the way it looks and feels. The thing I'm not satisfied about is the fact that I can't play heavier stuff with it. I have always been a metalhead, and as most of you guys probably already know, it just doesn't sound good enough when you try to do metal with single coils (at least not for me). Another thing that has me concerned is the fact that my Strat has an alder body and a maple neck+fretboard, the combo which sounds "too bright for metal" (at least that's what some people say) and 21 frets.

So my question is this: should I sell my beloved Strat and get a new guitar (with a mahogany body+neck and 22 or 24 frets) or should I get a humbucker installed on it and keep rocking on with it (or metaling on for that cause ).

My current amp is a Roland Micro Cube GX. I don't plan on changing it as I'm quite satisfied with it as a bedroom practice amp. I use a better Marshall tube amp at my school when I'm jamming with my friends anyway.

The sound I'm looking for is mainly the sound of 80s' heavy and thrash metal, but it would be great if it could handle some modern stuff too. The pickups I have in mind are the Seymour Duncan JB, Seymour Duncan Custom and Seymour Duncan Invader.

Any help is appreciated
although I think part of your problem is the amp which isn't going to give you the best metal tone for what you want a pup change would help. the single coil size JB would work as would a DiMarzio Hot Rails. I'd also consider a Red Lace Sensor. any of those would work with no mods needed to the pick guard. if you mostly play metal though I guess I'd seriously consider a new axe that woold be better suited to that style (and this is coming form a strat guy that does play metal on his)
A new guitar or a new humbucker won't give you the uber br00tz you are looking for.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'd get a new bridge pickup. The Hot Rails is a good suggestion and so is the JB Jr. The JB Jr can do most harder types of music except extreme metal genres
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For me the answer is nearly always 'Get a new guitar!'
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

New guitar. It's the option that lets you keep the strat(and everything you like about it), while also being able to achieve a different sound.

It will broaden your palette, rather than alter it.
- You have 2 amps, one for home, one for away.
- You have a Strat you like.

While it is possible to get good singlecoil-sized HBs & P90s delivering more aggressive tones, given your gear and desires, I'd opt for a new guitar.

What is your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Get a new guitar, but don't sell the Strat if you love it! There's no problem with having more than one guitar if you want to play diverse music.
Quote by nathan:-)
There's no problem with having more than one guitar if you want to play diverse music.

Even more fun if you play perverse music.
If you love the guitar then keep it. If you put a new pickup in it that might destroy your like for it, especially since you don't really see people putting Duncans in a Strat. I don't think that they go too well together. Yeah, you'll eliminate some noise and have a hotter pickup, but it's likely to still sound a little thin.

Try something with a set neck and that is made of mahogany. Even with stock pickups you'll be able to play metal. In the future I would upgrade your amp to a small, cheap tube combo and maybe drive it with a good distortion pedal. I use a Peavey Valveking 2x12 that doesn't sound great by itself, but I have a little piece of gold called a Digitech Metal Master that makes it.
Quote by Explorer91
If you love the guitar then keep it. If you put a new pickup in it that might destroy your like for it, especially since you don't really see people putting Duncans in a Strat. I don't think that they go too well together. Yeah, you'll eliminate some noise and have a hotter pickup, but it's likely to still sound a little thin.

Try something with a set neck and that is made of mahogany. Even with stock pickups you'll be able to play metal. In the future I would upgrade your amp to a small, cheap tube combo and maybe drive it with a good distortion pedal. I use a Peavey Valveking 2x12 that doesn't sound great by itself, but I have a little piece of gold called a Digitech Metal Master that makes it.

Since when do people not put Seymour Duncan pickups in a strat?

Your obviously clueless
And a metal master pedal...................that is just horrible
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorer91

I'm sorry but this post is wrong in pretty much every way.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Explorer91

wait no one told yngwie. dude have you never heard of a super strat? rumor has it that they were used for a lot of metal albums. a "metal master" really . trade it in for a Bad Monkey or better yet a Hardwire CM-2 (if you want to stay with digitech) and come back and talk.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
- You have 2 amps, one for home, one for away.
- You have a Strat you like.

While it is possible to get good singlecoil-sized HBs & P90s delivering more aggressive tones, given your gear and desires, I'd opt for a new guitar.

What is your budget?

My budget would probably be something around 600 USD.

Quote by nathan:-)
Get a new guitar, but don't sell the Strat if you love it! There's no problem with having more than one guitar if you want to play diverse music.

I would love to do that, but I'm saving up for a saxophone, so there's no way I'm going to get a new guitar without selling my current one .
Also try the YJM fury pickups. Maybe they will kick more metal ass in SSS format for you.

I have had Fender '69 pickups in my homebuild Strat since 1998 and heavy gain sounds pretty good!

You can also get EMG's in single coil. Kirk Hammett did this in the '80s to a Fernandes Stratocaster.

For brightness you can change the wiring to include the bridge pickup. I have this done to my Strat and its useful. I also play with a maple neck on it. I can turn down the treble! I also have the treble bleed mood for the volume. This makes the highs stay clear when I turn down the volume but adjusting the tone controls can ad the darker tones and it sounds pretty cool.

You can mod a Strat to your liking and it does not have to cost a fortune.

You can find pre loaded pickguards for strats to try and see how they sound and feel. They are not the best in MIM models. A pickup upgrade can do wonders.

Or make one to your liking. Not that expensive either and you can always keep it stock as it is an easy change on a Strat.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Nov 24, 2014,
Quote by dawishmaster9
My budget would probably be something around 600 USD..

Consider:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinredlinehbp.htm
www.fernandesguitarshop.com/32-revolver
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/28-dragonfly

I would love to do that, but I'm saving up for a saxophone, so there's no way I'm going to get a new guitar without selling my current one

Honestly, I wouldn't do this if you really like your Strat and enjoy playing the stuff you play on it.

Save up for the sax- there will ALWAYS be good deals to be had on good guitars, especially if you're willing to shop for used ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm sorry but this post is wrong in pretty much every way.

I'm sorry but I don't really care what you have to say at this point. A bolt on neck Alder body Strat is not ideal for metal. It works, but it will always be inferior. Maybe you need to learn a thing or two about tone chasing.
Last edited by Explorer91 at Nov 24, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo
wait no one told yngwie. dude have you never heard of a super strat? rumor has it that they were used for a lot of metal albums. a "metal master" really . trade it in for a Bad Monkey or better yet a Hardwire CM-2 (if you want to stay with digitech) and come back and talk.

If you heard my tone you would second guess yourself big time. A super strat will never sound like a Les Paul or any other set neck guitar if you're trying to play metal. I don't care what anyone says and Yngwie doesn't even have nice tone, his playing still sounds thin and twangy. The fact is you can pick up a typical decent set neck guitar straight out of a box and play anything from jazz, fusion, to metal. A super strat requires hot pickups to compensate.

Or maybe I'm just biased because I hate super strats. Only exception I can make is for EVH.
Last edited by Explorer91 at Nov 24, 2014,
Quote by Explorer91
I'm sorry but I don't really care what you have to say at this point. A bolt on neck Alder body Strat is not ideal for metal. It works, but it will always be inferior. Maybe you need to learn a thing or two about tone chasing.

Please, keep going... I'm intrigued to know more about this...

Also, there's tons of things that are called Metal these days, you'll always find something that combination will work for.

Malmsteen, Maiden, Sabaton... Have at least one member who use an alder bodied strat...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Nov 24, 2014,
Quote by Explorer91

Clearly you don't care enough to not reply to my post.

You should care. Because if you did, you might actually learn something. I'm not even going to bother naming how many guitars with alder bodies and bolt-on necks are excellent for that style of music. Considering them 'inferior' is entirely your opinion. It is not factual at all.

Some guitars will do certain sounds more practically than others, but virtually all guitars (except perhaps hollowbodies and guitars with microphonic pickups because of feedback issues) will do that sort of sound reasonably well if the amp is able to facilitate that style well.
If you heard my tone you would second guess yourself big time.

With a Digitech Metal Master?

Please upload a video to youtube with that 'little piece of gold' and your Valveking to prove me wrong. You'll become pit famous, I promise.
A super strat will never sound like a Les Paul or any other set neck guitar if you're trying to play metal.

I don't care what anyone says and Yngwie doesn't even have nice tone, his playing still sounds thin and twangy. The fact is you can pick up a typical decent set neck guitar straight out of a box and play anything from jazz, fusion, to metal. A super strat requires hot pickups to compensate.

You've missed the point. With any style of music there are many ways to skin a cat. There is no well-defined 'metal' tone like so many beginners tend to believe. And because of that, you don't really need any particular type of guitar to play that style. Having preferences towards certain types of guitars is fine, but just because you don't happen to like other kinds for that style doesn't make them suck. Don't be so arrogant.

Or maybe I'm just biased because I hate super strats.

Understatement of the decade right here.

But seriously, thank you. I needed the laughs.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 25, 2014,
I had a Digitech Metal Master. Yea.....

NOW I have some REAL gear.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I tried a Metal Master when I was younger and really liked it...

I feel ashamed and dirty now guise
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Explorer91
If you heard my tone you would second guess yourself big time. A super strat will never sound like a Les Paul or any other set neck guitar if you're trying to play metal. I don't care what anyone says and Yngwie doesn't even have nice tone, his playing still sounds thin and twangy. The fact is you can pick up a typical decent set neck guitar straight out of a box and play anything from jazz, fusion, to metal. A super strat requires hot pickups to compensate.

Or maybe I'm just biased because I hate super strats. Only exception I can make is for EVH.

So who would have thought that all those metal guys I listened to growing up had it completely wrong. Pretty much any guitarist you have ever heard has used maple bolt-on neck guitars and they sound just fine.

Your final sentence says the correct answer for you, you don't like them. Not they are bad guitars.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Explorer91

well break out dude and i'll be more than happy to 2nd guess myself. I'm not even going to bother listing the tons of metal players that use super strats that are A- not set neck and B-not mahogany as it would be way to long. your premise is just plain stupid.

hot pickups really? once again back to school for you. most Les Paul's stock pickups are far from hot so either someone must be able to play metal with them or just like the super strats you seem to hate have to put in "hot" pickups. make up your mind.

clearly you don't care what anyone says as then you'd have to admit that you are mostly wrong. big shock. now i'll freely admit that a stock SSS strat isn't the best for modern metal. keep in mind though that with out guys like Jimi Hendrix and Ritchie Blackmore we might not have modern metal. oh wait they both played strats. i'll take my strat to play jazz, fusion, rock, blues and yes even some metal any time (and do).

been playing metal longer than you've been alive so I'm guessing that I might know a thing or two about it.
Quote by Fisheth24
I tried a Metal Master when I was younger and really liked it...

I feel ashamed and dirty now guise

the shame will pass. we all have made gear and tone mistakes. I've tried to play metal with alder bolt on neck guitars (with single coil pick ups - oh the horror). live and learn
I don't know how everyone's answer isn't a used 6505+ in this thread. Even a Strat has the chugga chuggas through that amp dialed in right. You're not going to be going to that school forever.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I don't know how everyone's answer isn't a used 6505+ in this thread. Even a Strat has the chugga chuggas through that amp dialed in right. You're not going to be going to that school forever.

but dude you can't play metal with a strat. I mean really now that's just crazy talk. I did suggest that the issue had more to do with his amp. yeah I play my strats through my Peavey Ultra can can get an acceptable metal sound single coils and all (and that amp only has 4 preamp tubes instead of 5 like the 6505 combo and 6 like the head)
Quote by monwobobbo
but dude you can't play metal with a strat. I mean really now that's just crazy talk. I did suggest that the issue had more to do with his amp. yeah I play my strats through my Peavey Ultra can can get an acceptable metal sound single coils and all (and that amp only has 4 preamp tubes instead of 5 like the 6505 combo and 6 like the head)

Iron Maiden did just fine.
I have a Single coil Humbucker in my strat and it is fantastic. It is my favorite strat over my Strat ultra plus with red lace sensors in the bridge position. Can't remember if it is a Screamin Demon or JB and don't care, it sounds fantastic. Go for the pickup change, if you don't like it you can always change back to the single coil and pick up a new guitar. Definitely keep the Strat.
Quote by grim1
I have a Single coil Humbucker in my strat and it is fantastic. It is my favorite strat over my Strat ultra plus with red lace sensors in the bridge position. Can't remember if it is a Screamin Demon or JB and don't care, it sounds fantastic. Go for the pickup change, if you don't like it you can always change back to the single coil and pick up a new guitar. Definitely keep the Strat.

What?
Quote by JustRooster
What?

Single coil sized HB is what he meant.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by JustRooster
Aw, my bad. Sorry mowobobbo!

you're good guess you just didn't realize I was kidding. pretty sure no one spends more time defending strats use in metal (we're talking single coils) than I do. yeah everyone mentions Maiden but don't really do their homework. Dave Murray has used single coils and so did Janick Gers but for the most part they both use humbuckers (in Fender guitars) I know that even some of the modern metal bands use them for guitar layering but of course you don't see them live (Opeth comes to mind)

think we can all agree (well except 1 lol) that you can play an alder strat style guitar for metal though

oh and the red Lace Sensor has the output of a hot humbucker but is still a single coil picjup, just a different design.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Nov 25, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
What?

Like the other guy said, Single coil sized humbucker. Love it and it looks great.
Quote by monwobobbo
pretty sure no one spends more time defending strats use in metal (we're talking single coils) than I do. yeah everyone mentions Maiden but don't really do their homework. Dave Murray has used single coils and so did Janick Gers but for the most part they both use humbuckers (in Fender guitars)

Yeah that's the problem. If I say a strat isn't a great guitar for metal, I mean a stock one with vintage low output pickups (and probably vintage neck profiles etc. as well).

whack humbuckers in there and the more modern USA standard/deluxe neck onto it and you basically have a superstrat in all but name. And like you defending strats for metal, there's no-one who likes superstrats more than I do (and I certainly think superstrats can be used for metal).

A lot of these arguments happen because people are talking at cross-purposes
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah that's the problem. If I say a strat isn't a great guitar for metal, I mean a stock one with vintage low output pickups (and probably vintage neck profiles etc. as well).

whack humbuckers in there and the more modern USA standard/deluxe neck onto it and you basically have a superstrat in all but name. And like you defending strats for metal, there's no-one who likes superstrats more than I do (and I certainly think superstrats can be used for metal).

A lot of these arguments happen because people are talking at cross-purposes

well you can use single coil low output pups and it will work. good amp, good overdrive and you can be good to go. is this the best choice well no but it can be done. I'd never say that a stock strat is an optimal choice for modern metal it isn't. if you had to make do there are ways that you can get by though. I love to push the boundries of what many think can be done with a strat. not much on sparkly clean tones or quack.
Page 1 of 2