Any Engl amp owners in here who have one of the original models (ie the Powerball v1, fireball, or savage) that used red painted incandescent light bulbs behind the tubes for the red glow? The lights in mine have faded and glow like regular lightbulbs. Do you guys have any specific products you could link to that could be used either to cover them up or paint them to obtain their red glow again? I have np idea what the wattage of the lights are, and they look impossible to remove.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I think there was a thread about it on the old lordriffenstein/engl forum. I dunno if that forum even exists any more, though.

I just put up with it. mine are yellow too (and have been for some time).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think there was a thread about it on the old lordriffenstein/engl forum. I dunno if that forum even exists any more, though.

I just put up with it. mine are yellow too (and have been for some time).

Ugh- it really bothers me. I love my Powerball; but I am big on aesthetics and would love to get creative and resolve this somehow. I dont see this as an "it adds character to the piece of gear" blah blah blah moment. I want my red glow damnit
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

http://bit.ly/1uugn3i

This should help. okay never mind it's blocked. well i tried to fix the link
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by amonamarthmetal at Nov 23, 2014,
Quote by Watterboy
Ugh- it really bothers me. I love my Powerball; but I am big on aesthetics and would love to get creative and resolve this somehow. I dont see this as an "it adds character to the piece of gear" blah blah blah moment. I want my red glow damnit

yeah i'd prefer red too, just i'm too lazy/incompetent to fix it

i dunno why they didn't use LEDs
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Idk- i tried recoloring the lights with a red sharpie marker, but the hue wasnt really red enough.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

yeah. i vaguely remember from that forum I mentioned I think the guy who did it painted them some way, but I can't remember how.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by amonamarthmetal
http://bit.ly/1uugn3i

This should help. okay never mind it's blocked. well i tried to fix the link

Lol gawd, you unhelpful worm. I already seatched google. I havent seen many sources that recommend a SPECIFIC product. A lot of them just say "paint it". I would have liked to speak with somebody who applied a solution that worked and had some longevity to it. And is a safe solution too. I dont want to put some paint on there that becomes odiforous once its heated. Those bulbs are pretty hot.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy at Jun 23, 2015,
Update: I know I am sort of reviving this thread, but I found a solution that I feel satisfied with. I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KX1PG2I?psc=1
I just put it inside of my amp and it has a battery pack that I assembled so I do not have to plug it into the wall. Its remote control-able, and there are lots of color options. I demonstrated the result in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOZNSbHjbfk&feature=youtu.be

I recorded it with my Iphone, so the colors arent as deep and vibrant looking in the video as they are in real life, but you get the idea.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

I was going to suggest Rosco Colorine Bulb dip. typically used for 40W or less, indoor use. Tends to burn off after awhile though. It's been around since like 1910.

But, you seemed to have found a solution anyway. I hate putting batteries in anything. The reason they may use incandescent lamps (if that's what it is, I didnt really research what ENGL uses, just quickly read the thread) is to avoid separate power supplies that would lead to EMI/RFI/noise.

Next time you play guitar, stand near a fluorescent light fixture. Plus, you could just come off of the incoming mains with a 120v socket for the bulb. Nice and easy.
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
I was going to suggest Rosco Colorine Bulb dip. typically used for 40W or less, indoor use. Tends to burn off after awhile though. It's been around since like 1910.

But, you seemed to have found a solution anyway. I hate putting batteries in anything. The reason they may use incandescent lamps (if that's what it is, I didnt really research what ENGL uses, just quickly read the thread) is to avoid separate power supplies that would lead to EMI/RFI/noise.

Next time you play guitar, stand near a fluorescent light fixture. Plus, you could just come off of the incoming mains with a 120v socket for the bulb. Nice and easy.

The newer engls (like the pb2 and fb 100) use leds. But the old ones use incandescent bulbs. I dont want a bulb that loses its color though
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69