Yesterday i was playing when my strap suddenly got off my guitar so it hit the ground ..badly (should've got goddamn strap loks)
It's a v guitar so the point got damaged
I want to cover the damaged part with black duct tape
So it covers parts of visible wood and cover the finish edges so it doesn't come off when rubbed or anything
So .. If i ever decide to take off the duct tape will it ruin the finish ?
Thank you

(Invalid img)
Black spot in the white bevel is wood but i coloured it black using a sharpie ._.
Last edited by DeathmoniC at Nov 24, 2014,
I'm not sure. As a rule, I just wouldn't put duct tape on a guitar to begin with. Have the spot filled in by a tech with some finish. It won't look new again, but it'll keep the damage from getting any worse, and look far better than duct tape.
I currently live in kuwait so professional isn't an option at all :/
Any suggestion ?
The tape won’t ruin the finish, but it will be a PITA to clean off after the tape comes off.

Just leave the mark there. Shit happens. And if you keep a guitar it just keeps getting more dings.
It's going to be hard as hell to get the adhesive part of the duct tape off of the paint, especially a non-smooth damaged part like that... IF you leave the tape on for a long time. After time duct tape deteriorates in a way and starts to bond to what it is stuck to. I'm sure you've seen this. When something like this happens it's best to fix it, have it fixed, or just show off the battle wounds.
Hmmm guess I'll look for a whitw sharpie to make the white bevel look less weird and that's it
Thanks guys
Quote by DeathmoniC
Hmmm guess I'll look for a whitw sharpie to make the white bevel look less weird and that's it
Thanks guys

I don't know if you want to spend much time or money on your solution but I would even try white and black acrylic paint and an artist brush from the crafts section of Walmart. You'll be able to fill in some of those cracks better with that stuff than with a marker.
Quote by Explorer91
I don't know if you want to spend much time or money on your solution but I would even try white and black acrylic paint and an artist brush from the crafts section of Walmart. You'll be able to fill in some of those cracks better with that stuff than with a marker.

If i can get separate colours so i don't have to buy unnecessary paint bottles that would be a much better idea
Quote by DeathmoniC
Hmmm guess I'll look for a whitw sharpie

good luck with that!

just look on youtube for some tips on how to make a basic repair. You should be able to find suitably sized supplies in a model shop, won't cost the earth and will be better than duct tape! then again, anything is probably better than duct tape...

I had a similar incident recently, my guitar was dropped about a metre from the ground (alcohol was involved) and after checking to make sure there was no internal damage I just filled in the exposed wood with a black marker, it looks fine, especially at a distance.
After you remove the duct tape, you can easily clean off any residue using WD40. Then, clean the area with alcohol. After it's completely clean and dry, you can use nail polish to fill in the colored area, let that dry, then dab some super glue over the top to act as a clear coat & protect the nail polish. If you're careful enough, it will blend in nicely.