Hey guys.
I'm having a problem switching from the high e to be doing legato licks. When I lift my 1st finger off e the b rings out, creating a very unwelcome noise.

How do I mute this? With my picking hand?

Thanks for helping.
What i do when muting is 2 things.

Left hand: the tip of the index finger mute the string above the one you are currently playing. So if you are playing the high e string, the tip of your index should mute the b string. And then the bottom half of my index mutes the strings below the one i am currently playing. So if i am playing D on the fifth fret of the A string and hit all strings, the index should mute the D, G, B and high E string.

Right hand: I mute the string above the one i am playing legato on with my pick, so if i am doing legato on the b string, my pick is resting on the G string. and my middle finger is resting on the string below the one i am doing legato on, so if i am doing legato on the b string my middle finger is resting on the high e string.

All that together pretty much covers most of my muting. Also resting my hand on the bridge and using the palm of my hand to mute the strings.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
As Sickz says. You can also curl your little finger of your picking hand, and rest that lighly on the strings above where you're playing (so, play b string, rest on e string). This, combined with your palm edge, create a small tunnel that only allows one string to ring out.

cheers, Jerry