Over the last week I have been playing around with EZdrummer 2 and Addictive Drums 2. I decided that I prefer EZdrummer 2. I think the key factors in this was having a full demo to play with and the interface.

So that now leaves me with my next question – Is it worth spending the extra $ on getting Superior Drummer 2 ? The cost difference between the two is not huge (~$70-80). I know that Superior Drummer 2 is a more powerful programme, but a different interface layout, and the EZX paks are playable in SD2. There is no demo for SD2 for me to try out

I’m considering SD2 as I understand that it gives more control over your drums. Since I’m new to all this I wonder if SD2 might be overwhelming at first in trying to get a reasonable sound ? Would I be better off keeping it simple with EZ2 and if ever needed use the multi output in EZ2 to tweak in the DAW (currently REAPER).
SD2 is considered basically the best drum VST on the market in a general way. You've got people who prefer things like Steven Slate (including myself, but that's only because I already own Steven Slate) but most people will admit that SD2 is pretty awesome.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I have EZD EZD2 and SD. EZdrummer is cool and easy to use...the clue is in the name. lol. EZD2 is a pain. If you try to drag the midi sequences into a sequencer it will crash on the second attempt. Every time. EZkeys is exactly the same. Poor Code me thinks. EZX packs have different mixes to chose from which is handy in EZD2 but those aren't available if you choose to use SD with the drum sequences. For writing quick tracks and dragging midi files around use EZD and once it's done just change the VST to SD for much better sounds. Ignore EZD2. It's a bit pants IMHO. I also find if triggering midi, SD is the least CPU hogging.
Quote by crackerjack123
I have EZD EZD2 and SD. EZdrummer is cool and easy to use...the clue is in the name. lol. EZD2 is a pain. If you try to drag the midi sequences into a sequencer it will crash on the second attempt. Every time. EZkeys is exactly the same. Poor Code me thinks.

Well, I don't know what's happening on your computer, but it works fine for me...
Every time I drag midi into an FL channel from EZD2 it crashes with the second midi file I drag. Happens on all 4 of my machines. Nothing else does it. So problem has to be with EZD2 and FL.
Yeah, EZD2 and FL aren't getting along.

Because FL is a piece of crap.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by crackerjack123
Studio one, ableton and Cubase must all be crap too. because it does it with those as well.

I hate to say this but are all the DAWs you are testing it with legally bought and installed? I doubt thats the case but if it is the case it could be that
Quote by djsdabest
I hate to say this but are all the DAWs you are testing it with legally bought and installed? I doubt thats the case but if it is the case it could be that

What? You don't spend thousands of dollars to have four different programs on your computer that all do the exact same thing? I thought everyone did...
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
What? You don't spend thousands of dollars to have four different programs on your computer that all do the exact same thing? I thought everyone did...

Haha fair enough, but still if all of the DAWs he is using are cracked then that could be what is causing the problem. Some sort of conflict between the plugin and software. Like I said though I highly doubt thats the case.

I just use SSD4, never had any problems with that but SD2 is pretty damn tasty too
Quote by djsdabest
Haha fair enough, but still if all of the DAWs he is using are cracked then that could be what is causing the problem. Some sort of conflict between the plugin and software. Like I said though I highly doubt thats the case.

I just use SSD4, never had any problems with that but SD2 is pretty damn tasty too

Oh I'm 100% on your side, that was sarcasm above (hence the awful winky face).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Maybe he should try that with Reaper since it won't be cracked?

I think that SD is the better product but you'd rarely need those features. I'm doing a lot of work with the metal pack on EZD v1 (till haven't seen need to upgrade). The snare sounds like a pin-prick and there's no way around that, well there is, firing up my old drum machine and re-triggering it on a new channel, or layering second snare sound with another sampler...
Anyway, in SD you should be able to control some of these parameters, like the length of the ringing, etc...
In EZDrummer you can assign different output channels to your drums, in my case I have these showing up in separate mix windows:
Kick
Snare
HH
OH (stereo)
Room (stereo)
Comp. Room (stereo)

so I can eq these differently when needed. You have some control over bleed in EZD's mixer window too, so it is not without options, but for just getting started you can bus everything to one channel and call it a day. In SD you can't, you'd sweat out quite a bit until you get the hang of it

Here's my latest one done in EZDrummer:
https://soundcloud.com/egregoreband/egregore-new-world-lunacy

so I can eq these differently when needed. You have some control over bleed in EZD's mixer window too, so it is not without options, but for just getting started you can bus everything to one channel and call it a day. In SD you can't, you'd sweat out quite a bit until you get the hang of it

Thanks for the input. Think I will head down the EZD2 path. Think I would rather spend my time writing and playing rather than trying to tweak drums. As you say, I can output the EZD2 kit pieces to a different track in the DAW and if needed add any extra effects. For now I think this the way to go and at some point down the road if I feel I need more control over drums, the I can re-consider options. Maybe get experience on something "easy" to use first and then evolve.

Not sure what the issues one of the earlier posters in having with EZD2 - but I had n problems with the Demo.

PS - thanks for your link to your EZD track. Nice to hear a track recorded with EZD gives me a lot more confidence of using it and getting something from it. Oh a couple of quick questions - in your post above you mention Comp. Room - is compression and the stereo tracks you talk about are they output as stereo or do you copy the mono track and pan left/right ?
Last edited by Tiger17 at Nov 26, 2014,
Originally Posted by Sid McCall

What? You don't spend thousands of dollars to have four different programs on your computer that all do the exact same thing?

Why not spend that? Would you spend 3 grand on a fly/les paul/ esp??? HK tri amp and cab??? people do because it's their hobby and they have the funds. Do people spend £50.000 on a car that does exactly the same as one that costs 300. yes they do. Different software has different workflow. Why not have them all? £3000 quid is minimum to spend an a decent pc workstation but most on here stuck with windows vista x86 pc and wonder why they get shit results. But Bleat on about other peoples opinions when they only trying to help. Like posting a track of 'By Numbers Metal" that my dog could play. Sorry about the rant but way too much snobbery and preconceived opinions about people you don't know.

Mark
Quote by crackerjack123
Originally Posted by Sid McCall

What? You don't spend thousands of dollars to have four different programs on your computer that all do the exact same thing?

Why not spend that? Would you spend 3 grand on a fly/les paul/ esp??? HK tri amp and cab??? people do because it's their hobby and they have the funds. Do people spend £50.000 on a car that does exactly the same as one that costs 300. yes they do. Different software has different workflow. Why not have them all? £3000 quid is minimum to spend an a decent pc workstation but most on here stuck with windows vista x86 pc and wonder why they get shit results. But Bleat on about other peoples opinions when they only trying to help. Like posting a track of 'By Numbers Metal" that my dog could play. Sorry about the rant but way too much snobbery and preconceived opinions about people you don't know.

Mark

yeah but

did you actually buy all those programs?
Yes. Also the fly, les paul. Komplete 9 ultimate + + + +. I don't buy cars...I buy gear. I like it.