Hi guys, so I'm sure this same sort of thing has been posed time and again. I'll make it fairly quick.

So I have a 35 Watt orange solid state combo and a Peavey valveking 20 Watt head and cab. I am looking for a little bit bigger head. I don't use the orange much except for messing around at home. And the Peavey is just a little small for the size gigs I've been playing. Whatever head I get I will probably pair with a 2x12 cab. Somewhere close.
As for sound, the Peavey sounds awesome. My cleans tend to be kinda fuzzy, but I suspect I can fix that with a little tuning. However, I never use the distortion from the amp. I use pedals for everything. In fact I'm not sure I have even played with the amps distortion for more than 5 minutes.
So what I would like is a tube head. Maybe 40 or 50 watts? 100 is really just too big I think. I'd never use it all. I would like it to have a good smooth clear clean, I don't really need any other channels. As for overdrive and distortion use, it varies. I use everything from just an overdrive to work kinda like a little booster to a pretty heavy crunch. Almost like synth I guess. (I play mostly blues, punk, and thrash). The biggest thing to me is clarity. That's why I use pedals I guess. I like as little mud and fuzz as I can get away with.

Thank you very much for any input anyone might have
Budget and location will help ppl to help you.

ENGL Thunder is a nice sounding stripped back 50W head.
Vox NightTrain NT50 has nice cleans.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Oh. Sorry.
I live in Oklahoma. And my budget, well I'll likely be looking used. But I'd like to keep it under 6 or 700 used. Preferably closer to 4 or 500
My question would be: If you're really only using a clean channel, why are you NOT looking at solid state (you seem to be very much limiting yourself to tubes in the original post)? Lighter, less delicate, lower maintenance, and in clean modes, you're really not going to hear much difference between the two?

That said, see if you can find a used Carvin Vintage 50, Vintage 33, or an X100B (I'd look for the older '80's-90's model first, but there is a current reissue). All have gorgeous cleans, and used all will be well under the $500 mark (I'd anticipate $350 or so). The X100B is a 100W amp (EL34s or 6L6s), the Vintage series are EL84 and around 35-50W. Active controls and great EQ available on the X100B series.

I'm actually using Pods and power amps, and cleans are quite easy to come by with that combination, but I own both of the foregoing tube amps as well.
For the music you play Carvin tube amps are a good choice driven with pedals. Also a Fender HRD (just ignore the drive channel as the clean channel is Fender Blackface tone heaven), or a Peavey Classic 30 is within your budget. Both are combos but can easily push a 2x12 cab if desired. At smaller gigs just bring the combo.

Mesa 50Cal heads can also be found at a fair price with a bit of digging.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I say tube because of the sound quality difference between my Peavey and the many different solid state amps people I know play.
Thank you though. Personally I've found fender amps to be a little tinny sounding, but I will look into them again. And I will look around at some of the others mentioned. Thanks
Fender tinny? I'd say that is in the hands of the player. This is what pure Fender is supposed to sound like in the hands of a real player who gets it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmChpwQarVc

If you already like the sound of your Peavey Valve King, just mic it and wail. That's what the pros do these days.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 24, 2014,
Sorry, I meant twangy. Not tinny. And yeah, Stevie ray Vaughan sounds slightly twangy to me.
That isn't to say I don't like him however. I would actually say he is my favorite guitarist.
The fender amps I have played sound twangy to me. But I haven't really played any of their higher end ones either