I currently play in a pop-punk/rock band and use a Behringer BXL3000A bass amp with a Fender p-bass. I'm looking to switch up my sound a bit so I was just wondering what are the best settings I can use on this amp to get the best sound for that style of music?

Here's a photo off Google of the controls on the amp

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/behringer-ultrabass-bxl3000a-84887.jpg
I don't want to sound like "that guy" but just keep turning knobs until you find the sound you like. A lot of the time you'll setup a tone by yourself then find that it just doesn't sound right with the entire band. Personally, I push my mids to cut through the mix. But I also run through a DI & fuzz pedal. My distorted tone is similar to this, but more aggressive on the high end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi3KJQwuP4I

My clean tone is warmer, but I typically go with my distorted tone. Hope this helps.
Last edited by ronhoward at Nov 24, 2014,
I am guessing that the "Shape" knob is some sort of notch filter? If so, that can really vary your sound, so with your EQ not too bass-heavy, try playing with that one. You might also want to look into a compressor to even things out for your Pop-oriented tunes.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Tone shaping depends on your amp's "baked-in" tone. That's not going to be a full range or a flat response setup, so you'll be largely influenced by whatever's already emphasized. One of my great lessons was to NOT push up the bass control or the bottom end of a graphic equalizer. Often those controls will emphasize (and waste power on) frequencies you can't even hear. I now have an HPF (High Pass Filter) that cuts everything below a certain set of frequencies (say, 35 Hz). 300W may sound like sufficient power, but you may find it marginal. A lot of manufacturers will build in a spike in the 100hz-140Hz range to give the amp what sounds like more volume (but it's actually just a bit of boominess). You can use that to your advantage with a small amp, because it's likely that your bandmates won't be sophisticated enough to know the difference. Turn the bottom frequency slider down and push up the 100Hz to give yourself a bit more punch. When you get a bit more amp/cabinet behind you, you can shape your tone differently.
Personally, I think the "best" sound is the one that is most balanced among the frequencies in your rig setup and that complements the overall sound of your band. This will require some experimentation on your part to find that sweet spot (i.e. it's a subjective opinion). In my rig, I use a compressor along with the tone controls of the amp to get a punchy, but balanced tone so if I want to slap and thump, it doesn't overdrive the channel on the PA. On the bass, I usually have the tone settings somewhere in the middle so I can adjust either way when it is needed and on the amp, I have the mids accentuated a bit so the higher notes don't get washed out in the mix. It really all comes down to what sounds good to you and your bandmate's ears.