Hello fellow guitar (and other instruments) enthusiasts!
I come to you today to ask for superior knowledge on choosing an interface that combines a few characteristics I need, and I haven't been able to find.

I'm looking an usb audio interface that allows me to plug in my guitar (so i can use GitarRig for example) or a mic (so i record my amp using Reaper for example). This is pretty easy to find, but i need one that can also act as a PC sound card, since I have really good speakers, and I keep my music collection in lossless, I don't want to use my laptop bad stereo out, I would like interface to also able to receive data (audio) through usb and then output it though its own stereo ports.

Do you know any interface capable of this?

Thanks in advance!
There are lots of them recommended in the stickies.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Pretty much EVERY interface will act as your computer's soundcard while it's plugged in, it won't be listed as a main feature on any website because it's so standard.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Pretty much EVERY interface will act as your computer's soundcard while it's plugged in, it won't be listed as a main feature on any website because it's so standard.

Oh, that explains a lot...
But if I dont have any external speaker connected, will they redirect to my laptop speakers?
Quote by amiguels
Oh, that explains a lot...
But if I dont have any external speaker connected, will they redirect to my laptop speakers?

As long as the interface is plugged in and you've set it as your i/o, then it shouldn't just default back without you unplugging or redirecting it. The interface probably won't know that it doesn't have speakers plugged in and automatically shut off, I've never had that happen to me.

When you plug in an interface you're essentially telling your computer that this is the new soundcard, and the computer doesn't give any priority to the one that's inside the laptop versus dangling out on your desk because it's a computer and doesn't know the difference
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by amiguels
Depends on the interface.

It may or it may not, though it's easy to make your computer do whatever you want with just a couple clicks in the audio settings window.

Though yeah sound cards ARE audio interfaces, hence they don't really need to state that the interface will "substitute" your current sound card.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Nov 24, 2014,
So would this do the job with decent quality? (using Windows 7)

I took a look at the suggested interfaces, but they are all really expensive or not that good :\
Quote by amiguels
So would this do the job with decent quality? (using Windows 7)

I took a look at the suggested interfaces, but they are all really expensive or not that good :\

Yes, that will do the job.

If that's the top of your budget, then grab it and go. If your budget can go higher (comfortably) then you can generally always do better, at least in the entry-level price point.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
Yes, that will do the job.

If that's the top of your budget, then grab it and go. If your budget can go higher (comfortably) then you can generally always do better, at least in the entry-level price point.

Well I can go up to 150€, but I dont really know how to compare past if it has enough enough inputs/outputs, phantom power and usb :p
^ you can try some.

If you can't you can go by the reviews and the spec's.
If you're unsure how to read the latters, the sticky about the introduction to recording has a section explaining how to do that in fairly simple terms.

Same thing Scott said, if you don't wanna spend anymore than that get the scarlett solo, though if it's not a problem to go higher I'd get a mackie onyx blackjack.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I use a presonus audiobox 22vsl, should do everything you require and more.

2 inputs which accept both xlr and 1/4 inch is a plus.

1/4 inch outs for monitors

also has midi in/out
Quote by amiguels
So, has anyone tried these two that cold provide a preference?

Honestly, at this level not much stands above the others. If nothing stands out to you, look online and see what bundled software comes with each unit and make your decision based on that. You can't go wrong with a focusrite, presonus, or mackie. Tascam is great as well at this price point.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass