Hi,

So I've been playing the guitar for a couple of years now and my pinky is horrible. I've tried a lot of exercises and although it is a little better now than when I started but there is absolutely no speed and no strength in the pinky. Needless to say, I can't use it to barre the strings while playing power chords or barre chords as well. I'm attaching a couple of pics because I realized that my pinky is really really weird and it might have to do with the fact that I had a fractured and broken left arm (on two different occasions) when I was very young. I'm not too sure. I mean it completely comes over my ring and middle fingers when I try to curl it towards my palm. I'm hoping you guys could help me. I've tried to use as many different angles as possible in the pics and on some occasions I've just tried to curl the pinky towards my palm, at others I've tried to keep it straight.

Thanks!
Attachments:
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG
You really don't need the pinky to be able to barre. It's a skill that comes in useful in the most rare situations, so I really wouldn't worry about that; for power chords and such just learn to do it with your third finger instead.

For almost everything else I'd start looking at the playing of a guy called Chris Poland. He has some picking hand injury as well that also means he basically never uses his pinky at all. Definitely worth looking in to, if only to know that really it might slow you down a bit... but it needn't hold you back!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steinbeckyolo97
Hi,

So I've been playing the guitar for a couple of years now and my pinky is horrible. I've tried a lot of exercises and although it is a little better now than when I started but there is absolutely no speed and no strength in the pinky. Needless to say, I can't use it to barre the strings while playing power chords or barre chords as well. I'm attaching a couple of pics because I realized that my pinky is really really weird and it might have to do with the fact that I had a fractured and broken left arm (on two different occasions) when I was very young. I'm not too sure. I mean it completely comes over my ring and middle fingers when I try to curl it towards my palm. I'm hoping you guys could help me. I've tried to use as many different angles as possible in the pics and on some occasions I've just tried to curl the pinky towards my palm, at others I've tried to keep it straight.

Thanks!

I've fractured my left hand wrist two times, i have tendonitis on the same wrist... still i can play relatively fast legato. I think is only a matter of practice...focus on being relaxed, warm up, do stretching exercise...i think you are ok