I need suggestions for a solid combo amp to work towards buying. My price range will be around $350 USD.

I've noticed through the Roland Cube I have, and also through the amplification system at my Church building, my tone has a tendency to clip from those speakers. Clean or distorted tone, excess clipping that does not come from my set up happens. I'm not sure if this is a wattage issue with the stage monitors/the house system or something else. Maybe it is some sort of "overload" pushing those speakers to "overdrive" like guitar amps of old when I'm pushing the sound really hard. Either way, it's not very good. Not too noticeable, but enough to crowd my playing a bit.

The reason why I call it "overload" is because I play super post-rock and progressive-like stuff. Moderately heavy delay and reverb are almost always present, along with distortion from the RAT and (soon) the Soul Food. Especially with higher-gain (although I don't push past moderately heavy overdrive with my tone), mid-range punchy, chime-like parts, I can hear the excess clipping. If I switch to a delay and reverb-dominate tone meant to emulate a pad, I can hear terrible excess clipping if I push that pad setting too hard through playing or with distortion.

My setup is like this: Washburn X-30, Micro POG, Soul-Food (placed somewhere, buffer active), RAT, RP-155, The Analogizer, Out to System.

I need suggestions on a combo amp with enough headroom to not clip with my effects-heavy tone. I'm thinking that such an amp will allow the signal to be sent to the mixing board without overloading the house speakers. I'd rather the amp to have an output port, as I've had issues with micing amps (the gain on the board has to be near-maxed to pick up the amp, even with the amp at high volume) and would probably have to buy a new mic that is powered in some way. Or maybe I'm micing it wrong.

I'm also not looking for an amp to shape my tone very much, I just need something to cleanly produce my sound to go out to a mixing board/house system with no excess clipping.

Thanks for your suggestions of any sort, whether it is about tone shaping, micing/phantom power, amplification, or my ignorance in general.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 24, 2014,
Look for an used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or an Ampeg GVT52-112.

Both do amazing cleans (their drive channels are pretty mediocre, but you're relying on pedal dirt anyway), have loads of headroom, and you probably won't have any issues mic'ing one of those amps up.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
sounds like you are running the amp to loud . do you have this issue when practicing at bedroom volumes? the other thing is that sometimes modeling amps like yours don't play nice with pedals. the other thing is that when you exceed your headroom on a solid state based amp they tend to clip as you describe which isn't a pleasant sound.
Quote by Will Lane
I play super post-rock

what's that? is that a genre? I don't even know what post-rock is yet. don't tell me it's been superseded
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Post post rock, huh? Well that didn't last long.
And meanwhile, rock is still going strong.

And Dave, post rock is basically Pink Floyd without the talent.

Flame shield raised.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 24, 2014,
i've invented super post rock myself, and if you're any sort of musician you'd join me in the movement

No, I added "super" to emphasize my post-rockness I guess. To be honest I don't even know what it means exactly, but it seems to work.

Quote by monwobobbo
sounds like you are running the amp to loud . do you have this issue when practicing at bedroom volumes? the other thing is that sometimes modeling amps like yours don't play nice with pedals. the other thing is that when you exceed your headroom on a solid state based amp they tend to clip as you describe which isn't a pleasant sound.

No, it doesn't usually matter what volume the speakers are putting out. It's almost like my signal will always make the speaker clip.

The reason why I made this thread was because I'm hoping that a solid amp will solve that problem.
Quote by Will Lane
i've invented super post rock myself, and if you're any sort of musician you'd join me in the movement

No, I added "super" to emphasize my post-rockness I guess. To be honest I don't even know what it means exactly, but it seems to work.

No, it doesn't usually matter what volume the speakers are putting out. It's almost like my signal will always make the speaker clip.

The reason why I made this thread was because I'm hoping that a solid amp will solve that problem.

if you have no issues if the fx aren't plugged into the amp then the problem lies in your fx chain. you may be using more gain than you should which causes the speaker to fart out.

oh and that just makes you sound "super" lame
Last edited by monwobobbo at Nov 25, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo
oh and that just makes you sound "super" lame

i am

Aside from my genre self-description, does anyone else have amp suggestions following my OP?
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 25, 2014,
^ Sorry, I'm not sure

Quote by Cathbard
Post post rock, huh? Well that didn't last long.
And meanwhile, rock is still going strong.

And Dave, post rock is basically Pink Floyd without the talent.

Flame shield raised.

Quote by Will Lane

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Will Lane
i am

Aside from my genre self-description, does anyone else have amp suggestions following my OP?

seems like figuring out where your problem really is might be a good first step. if it turns out to be your fx chain or another fx related issue then a new amp won't fix that.