I have an Ibanez RG120 will a Bill Lawrence USA l500xl in the bridge and im looking for a good neck pickup to match it. I run it through a randall satan head and a randall thrasher 4x12 cab. I normally would put a SD '59 in the neck but I took it out cause it didn't sound to good in my guitar. does anyone got a good suggestion? I do not like dimarzios btw. so there out of the question!
Last edited by musicisart3311 at Nov 24, 2014,
Personally I like the Jazz more. It's about the same output as the 59 but there is more treble to it, when I would put the pickup in a parallel mode (hum cancelling coiltap) it was an amazing clean pickup in the neck. However if there is too much of a contrast between the two I'd focus more on the resistance. Guys like Michael Romeo of Symphony X and so forth have two pickups designed for "bridge" in his guitar and he plays just fine.

but what kind of sound are you more after? more treble , bass, mids, power.
I would suggest for something that would clean up really good while keeping things pretty heavy is the Bare Knuckle Mule pickup. It seems to be a great choice for most applications but if cleaner stuff isn't your style just go take a look at the bare knuckle site, they have quite a range of pickups that should fit any style.
I would go for a Gibson 57 Classic, do not sell the current neck pickup, you can put that one back in and take out the Gibson PuP when you sell the Ibanez. If not you can sell the Gibson PuP on its own, cheapest option. Buy secondhand, lots of people shifting PuPs they do not like on E Bay.

Cheers
what did you not like about the '59?

(serious question, if you can tell us what sounded bad about it it might give us ideas about other options)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well the '59 sounded to bassy at low tunings. and i didn't like how the mids sounded even messing with the EQ on my stack. A band im joining tunes down to drop C# down to drop A for originals and plays covers from obituary to slayer. id like something that suits those tunings but still keeps that trebly bite.
Quote by Jock68
I would go for a Gibson 57 Classic, do not sell the current neck pickup, you can put that one back in and take out the Gibson PuP when you sell the Ibanez. If not you can sell the Gibson PuP on its own, cheapest option. Buy secondhand, lots of people shifting PuPs they do not like on E Bay.

Cheers

I got back from brighton yesterday mate and went to guitar center and tried a les paul with the classic '57s in it and they sounded really good but they don't fit my style of music to well. might have to buy that les paul tho.. lol
Quote by musicisart3311
Well the '59 sounded to bassy at low tunings. and i didn't like how the mids sounded even messing with the EQ on my stack. A band im joining tunes down to drop C# down to drop A for originals and plays covers from obituary to slayer. id like something that suits those tunings but still keeps that trebly bite.

Ah ok.

I don't really play much at lower tunings so I'm not sure how much I can help.

Just to clarify (so others can maybe help), the problem with the mids was that the '59 is too scooped, right?

A paf pro *might* work (though as I said, I don't tune down much, if at all).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I mean if you're playing rhythm on the neck... there's your problem.

I might try a BKP Blackhawk, possibly a set. I found those pretty bright, but not too sharp sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I mean if you're playing rhythm on the neck... there's your problem.

That's also what I was wondering. I'm using the bridge exclusively for that. Now, obviously you can do what you like, and maybe I'm too rigid in my ideas of what will work and what won't... but at the same time sometimes there's a pretty simple solution.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I decided to take out the bill Lawrence l500xl and put it in my dean '79 v with the SD '59 so I can shred some Pantera, but I just ordered the bareknuckle miracle man calibrated covered set in black. they sounded a lot like what im looking for. hopefully there worth the $250 lol
The set of BKPs I had were awesome. I have plans to get more for another guitar when I have th money.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.