Please forgive me if there are a million threads on this already, but i just can't quite find the answer I'm looking for anywhere.

So I want a tube amplifier for under £400, presumably a combo at this price. The amp will mostly be used at a fairly low volume, however it does need to be able to handle a band situation too. It needs to be versatile, and be able to take pedals well; im basically looking for an all-rounder. I saw a Jet City 50 watt combo on eBay, however after watching a few videos it seems to lack some of the higher gain that im after. This amp will be used mostly for heavier rock genres and a little metal (eg. Metallica, Guns N Roses), so it's gonna be used for a lot of different tone.

Could anyone give me any advice?

If it helps, I currently own a Roland Cube 40xl solid state amp, a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender MiM Stratocaster, Epiphone SG Goth and a Boss MT-2 distortion.

Thankyou for your time
Jet city is the goto combo for heavier guitar tones on the cheap. If you need more gain just put a pedal in front. Peavey Vypyr 60 Valve is another lo budget hi gain option. Good luck!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
+1 to Jet City.

With your budget you could actually go on the Thomann site & get the 50w head and the Harley Benton Vintage cab that's fitted with Celestions that also gets recommended a lot - and you'd still have plenty of change for a decent pedal.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
+1 to Jet City.

With your budget you could actually go on the Thomann site & get the 50w head and the Harley Benton Vintage cab that's fitted with Celestions that also gets recommended a lot - and you'd still have plenty of change for a decent pedal.

Thankyou! I know nothing about cabs, this is my first tube amp.
Trust me, the Jet City should have enough gain on tap for what you're looking for. I play a lot of Gun's, and I rarely push the pre-gain on the OD channel past 3.

The V30's sound really nice with this amp. I'm running my 50H through my Mesa 212. I have some tunes that I recorded with it on my bands FB page, if you're interested (link in sig).
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Nov 24, 2014,
Quote by red.guitar
Trust me, the Jet City should have enough gain on tap for what you're looking for. I play a lot of Gun's, and I rarely push the pre-gain on the OD channel past 3.

The V30's sound really nice with this amp. I'm running my 50H through my Mesa 212. I have some tunes that I recorded with it on my bands FB page, if you're interested (link in sig).

Awesome, thanks for your advice!
Do you run any pedals through it? If so how does it handle them? I'm looking to run a zw44 overdrive and a few modulation pedals through it probably.
I used to use a zw-44 with it. I replaced it with the bad monkey tho. It had wayy more bottom end the the ZW. I run: TC Alter ego delay, MXR 10-band EQ, BM, ZW wah, holy grail nano, flash back mini dealy. All work fine. I've used phasers and chorus with good results. The tunes on my page have the alter ego delay on all of the cleans.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOhLUQGjByI

Using my 22H with a 1X12 (with a V30) from Thomman with a bad monkey boosting it, The 50W should be more than enough gain for Metallica GNR
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Nov 24, 2014,
which jet city combo did you listen to? there's a lower gain 50 watter and a higher gain. you want the higher gain one (the 1x12 combo).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
which jet city combo did you listen to? there's a lower gain 50 watter and a higher gain. you want the higher gain one (the 1x12 combo).

I believe it was a 5212rc
that's the lower gain one. the 1x12 (5012C) is the combo version of the high gain heads. It seems to be out of stock a lot, though.

as GB said, you have enough to get the separate head and HB g212 vintage cab, which might be worth considering if you have room for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's the lower gain one. the 1x12 (5012C) is the combo version of the high gain heads. It seems to be out of stock a lot, though.

as GB said, you have enough to get the separate head and HB g212 vintage cab, which might be worth considering if you have room for it.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/other-guitar-accessories/trace-elliot-speed-twin-c50-rare-all-tube-vintage-classic-amplifier/1089750028

What do you think to this? Struggling to find demos/reviews of it on the internet, but seems like a decent amp? Then again, i know nothing about amps, just guitars.
never tried it, it's a bit before my time i think
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by red.guitar

yes, for what you can spend it is the best option.

Eminence V12's sound the best with Soldano amps though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have the v12's in my randall cab. I really like them as well, I just like the V30's a little better.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H