Hello Everyone. I'm planning to upgrade my generic 10 watt guitar amplifier into these kinds of amps. I can't choose what's the right amp for me though. These models fit my budget but I'm having a hard time to choose. I'm using a LTD EC-401 ( Seymour Duncan model ) and a LTD F-350 with my Zoom G5 FX unit.
Thanks in Advance. =))

Orange Crush 35

Blackstar ID 30TVP/60 TVP
Or a Blackstar HT-5R?
Last edited by technodestroyer at Nov 25, 2014,
I'd say Orange, just because Orange in general kicks way more ass than Blackstar. But I haven't personally used either of those Blackstars, and the Crush combo is great for what it is, but it certainly is not on the level of awesome of the Orange tube amps.
what kind of music do you play? some songs specifically or at least a band.
what is your TOP budget?
do you mind used gear?
where do you live?
are you gigging? do you need to be able to keep up a drummer?

without the above info it would impossible to tell what is best for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what kind of music do you play? some songs specifically or at least a band.
what is your TOP budget?
do you mind used gear?
where do you live?
are you gigging? do you need to be able to keep up a drummer?

without the above info it would impossible to tell what is best for you.

I play metal and punk rock. Like Metallica, System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Attack Attack, Mayday Parade. A little bit of blues and some JRock music like the Gazette and Alice Nine.

My top budget is 500-550$

I don't mind using 2nd hand gear. =)

I live in the Philippines. The budget is converted to US dollars.

Yes. I'm gigging. No I just need a new amp for home use. =D
Quote by the_bi99man
I'd say Orange, just because Orange in general kicks way more ass than Blackstar. But I haven't personally used either of those Blackstars, and the Crush combo is great for what it is, but it certainly is not on the level of awesome of the Orange tube amps.

Ohhh.. Thanks for the advice. =)
Blackstar - More versatile than any Orange amp I found personally. For what you're looking to play I'd say Backstar is closer to the sound you want
Quote by technodestroyer
I play metal and punk rock. Like Metallica, System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, Attack Attack, Mayday Parade. A little bit of blues and some JRock music like the Gazette and Alice Nine.

My top budget is 500-550$

I don't mind using 2nd hand gear. =)

I live in the Philippines. The budget is converted to US dollars.

Yes. I'm gigging. No I just need a new amp for home use. =D

I'd get a brand-new Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.
Or a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 if you can find one used.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Yeah, the best Vypyr you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Haven't tried any Peavey amp before. I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice.

About the Blackstar. I don't know which model I should get if it becomes my pick.
The HT-5R Model has 2 valves in it. While the ID 30TVP / 60TVP generates tone of different valve types even though it's solid state. Smh.. :/
Quote by technodestroyer
Haven't tried any Peavey amp before. I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice.

About the Blackstar. I don't know which model I should get if it becomes my pick.
The HT-5R Model has 2 valves in it. While the ID 30TVP / 60TVP generates tone of different valve types even though it's solid state. Smh.. :/

Dunno if this is a massive problem but the HT5 isn't all tube...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Dunno if this is a massive problem but the HT5 isn't all tube...

What do you mean by all tube? Sorry. Just a newbie..
^ it uses solid state stuff in it as well as the tubes
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, afaik people seem to like the sound of their blackstars, but there's been a lot of controversy over them advertising their amps as all-tube, when in fact they are not all-tube. Because of this false advertising, Blackstar is not well loved among regulars here. They are dodgy ****ers, as Cath would say
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Sounds like you'd be happy with a Roland Cube. Get one with a 12" speaker. Not sure which is the cheapest that has one.

Otherwise, Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 or 3.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 on the Peavey.

technodestroyer, do you have friends or relatives in the US who are planning to visit there around Christmas/New Year? I have a friend who brings amps and guitars almost every year when she flies home.
Quote by Ippon
+1 on the Peavey.

technodestroyer, do you have friends or relatives in the US who are planning to visit there around Christmas/New Year? I have a friend who brings amps and guitars almost every year when she flies home.

We have relatives who live there but they don't have any plans on going back home.
i will take this into a new direction.

could you pick up a powered monitor/wedge and just plug the MFX unit in? win win. extra monitor and something out there for home practice.

i see getting a modeling amp as a linear movement. you already have a decent MFX unit that would be wasted on a MFX amp.

the crush really isn't great
honestly never tried that particular blackstar, but i don't really trust them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Oh. I missed that he had a G5.

Yeah, definitely - get a powered wedge. No brainer. You can never have too many wedges if you are in a band. How could you lose? Maybe your band already has powered wedges? Store them at your place.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by diabolical
Vox Valvetronix VT20 should be right along your alley and probably better than the other offerings.

I also planned putting this into the list.
Saw a Valvetronix VT40 here, asked how much and it was in the budget so it's now in the list.

Now the VT40 and VIP-3 is what I'm torned about. Since they're so close in the price here at our country. Difference of 50 US$ (2,000 pesos) VIP 3 being the higher one.
Quote by technodestroyer
Now the VT40 and VIP-3 is what I'm torned about. Since they're so close in the price here at our country. Difference of 50 US$ (2,000 pesos) VIP 3 being the higher one.

For the kind of music you want to play (metal, punk, j-rock), I'd get the VIP 3, no doubt.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I guess VIP 3 is what I'll get next week based on the replies here. I won't be getting the footswitch though since I'm gonna run my G5 through it. The powered wedge is a good idea too. But I don't have any mixers here at home. Thanks for the replies. Keep replying on what amp I could pick that could change my mind since I have 1 week to have a final decision.
Quote by technodestroyer
I guess VIP 3 is what I'll get next week based on the replies here. I won't be getting the footswitch though since I'm gonna run my G5 through it. The powered wedge is a good idea too. But I don't have any mixers here at home. Thanks for the replies. Keep replying on what amp I could pick that could change my mind since I have 1 week to have a final decision.

Modelling amps such as the Peavey Vypyr, Vox VT, Roland Cube, etc., usually don't take external effects units very well. Usually one gets better results using their built-in effects and amp simulations than throwing pedals/multi-fx units in front of them.

If you want to keep using the G5, a powered wedge would definitely be a better option.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I wouldn't get an orange unless it was a high end head/cab. For a combo Id get a blackstar.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
The G5 is better than a Vypyr. All you need is a powered wedge to go with it. Why are we still talking about entry level modelers? He already has one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well said Cath, I guess if he wants to ditch the fx processor he can get a modeler, otherwise some kind of power setup, I like the Tech21 Power Engine:
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/powerengine/powerengine60.html

but I guess any PA-type powered stage monitor will do.
Quote by Cathbard
The G5 is better than a Vypyr. All you need is a powered wedge to go with it. Why are we still talking about entry level modelers? He already has one.

Yeah... This. TC, as it seems you were concerned about it in your last post, you don't need a mixer to use a powered wedge. Your G5 will plug directly into it, and the two together will act like a modeling amp. And a better one than you're likely going to get in your budget. Also yeah, I know from experience, you don't want to run an amp modeling multi-fx unit into a modeling amp with built in effects.
Quote by technodestroyer
Ok I get it.
Guess I'll canvass some powered wedge around here. Thanks

THAT is what you should do. its really a great setup. and if you gig and there is a PA you can plug your MFX unit right into the board.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!