I've heard probably 90% of people saying this amp is terrible. But why? Does it have versatility issues when compared to other SS amps? Or tone problems? Just curious why not a lot of people like this amp
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
The sounds it makes are kinda like farts. There's lots of different types, but you don't really want to hear any of them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
It sounds bad.
'cause of the speaker especially, but the amp doesn't sound much good itself.

It has options and funny fx and stuff, but it sounds plain bad.

It's not like you couldn't find anything worse sounding than that, but for the price of an MG there's nothing worse sounding than an MG.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It sounds bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yep, it is.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Cathbard
It sounds bad.

That's what everybody says. Can you explain why it sounds bad? I'm not convinced until someone gives me a valid reason.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Beta Aivin BM6
Quote by Sol1061
That's what everybody says. Can you explain why it sounds bad? I'm not convinced until someone gives me a valid reason.

fyi, what is a valid reason to me isn't necessarily a valid reason to you.

Almost everything about them is crap. MG's get muddy and fizzy with gain very quickly, which makes it very difficult to get an acceptable tone out of them. The crunch tones are brittle and muddy as well, almost exactly like what the higher gain tones are like, just with less gain, so the crunch is pretty redundant. MG's don't sound very much like what what one would expect from a Marshall at all. You don't have much control over the effects that are there either.

And when you look at the alternatives such as the Peavey Vypyr and the Roland Cube that execute those sorts of sounds so much better for the same price, it makes no sense to get an MG.

That's a valid enough reason for me to not like them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 25, 2014,
Quote by Sol1061

ok had one for a while my main tube amp was in the shop and it was a loaner. first off is that if you have played through an actual tube marshall you will be very disappointed in the distortion tones from the MG. they just don't cut it when you are playing at band volume. this is the heart of the problem with that amp series. at low volumes they can sound ok especially to newer players. turn them up and you get mud and it really doesn't sound much like they are supposed to. instead of a full roar you get a fizzy thin sounding mess. with a fair amount of time and effort you can dial in an ok tone but why get an amp that requires that much effort when others will yield a better tone far easier. the fx on them are ok but very limited. once again with say a modeling amp you will get more and better quality fx. last but not least there are better bang for the buck amps out there.
The thing with the MG series isn't so much that they're as bad as people make out, there are worse cheap practice amps. The trouble is, they say Marshall on them so they're expensive. Compare them to a similarly priced amp & they're always going to be the worse option.

I always figure Marshall should revive the old 'Park' band & use it like Fender use the Squier brand, a cheaper product for the beginner guitarist.

It still wouldn't be recommended as a great amp, but it would be more respected as an acceptable starter amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I played an MG15 for quite a while and personally I don't have some grudge against it since I got it for really cheap, but it indeed doesn't sound great.

Generally adding to what was said above, I'd say the basic idea is: on low gain settings it's already too dirty, on higher gain settings it sounds too messy, and I'm into playing metal, and there's just no way to make it sound heavy. The clean channel is... ok, but can get muddy on lower notes.

Although personally I found the reverb and delay to be very simple but decent - I came up with a lot of cool stuff using those, they're not amazing but very usable and sound pretty ok.
not as bad as the original was, but still not decent.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
They sound bad. But that's not the biggest issue. Plenty of $80 practice amps sound bad. But they're $80 starter amps. MGs cost many, many X more than that $80 practice amp, yet sound no better. Part of what riles people up about them is that Marshall is trying to rely on its name to sell utter dogshit product. If they charged only $150 for an MG halfstack, it might be worth it to some people.

I'm ashamed to admit I actually bought an MG 100hdfx halfstack a long time ago, thinking that it would keep up with my band. Found out pretty quickly that it flubbed out /sounded like a herd of elephants farting if I pushed the volume past 5 (which could still not be heard over my drummer -- I guess that was an advantage, lol.) What's worse, the Valvestate I traded in for it actually sounded a lot better. And that's not saying a whole lot...
What they said. They're just a terrible sounding amp trading on the reputation of the brand while delivering none of the tone associated with that brand. They are an atrocity.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
f...
And when you look at the alternatives such as the Peavey Vypyr and the Roland Cube that execute those sorts of sounds so much better for the same price, it makes no sense to get an MG....

Hey now, Don't forget the Vox Valvetronix series.

An MG will make a rat vomit.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Nov 25, 2014,
Since everyone has already said everything else I was going to say I only have one thing left to contribute:

Has anyone else ever noticed the garbled low end in the more recent MGs? Sounds like some kind of DSP glitch or something even though they are apparently analogue.

Honestly... There's a subtle but strange "glitchy" character in the low end of the "MG4" series models, that's much more pronounced the more gain you use - especially when you use less bass and/or single coils - It's like there's something inside the amp trying to re-insert missing bass frequencies artificially or something - I would describe the sound as "Like a low quality mp3".

Once you hear it you cannot unhear it. People rarely seem to comment on this specific issue, but I can't be the only person who has noticed it...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
When someone mentions MG, the sound my wife's food processor makes when she chops veggies for salad somes to mind...and I've recorded quite a few of these MGs and they're all godawful, ghastly...don't even get me started on the quality!
The Valvestate series on the other hand was quite decent, they even made the mistake of sticking real Celestions in quite a few of these!
I am not a fan of MG amps. I had to use one when my amp broke on stage and it literally made me cry I did not like the sound that much.

My friends band used 2 MG100's for years and they actually sounded good, but it was not modern high-gain stuff either. This song is all MG100's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNSJTCakLmU&feature=player_detailpage
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 26, 2014,
At the end of the day, there are far better amps for the same money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
I am not a fan of MG amps. I had to use one when my amp broke on stage and it literally made me cry I did not like the sound that much.

My friends band used 2 MG100's for years and they actually sounded good, but it was not modern high-gain stuff either. This song is all MG100's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNSJTCakLmU&feature=player_detailpage

Band's pretty good!
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Yep, it is.

Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Ippon
Band's pretty good!

Yeah they are pretty good, and they are great live. My band used to tour with them all the time, they called me a few weeks ago and asked if I could fill in for their winter tour but I just don't have the free time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 26, 2014,