Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to Ultimate Guitar (I posted a tab a while back but that's about it). I've been playing bass for a couple of years now but only just discovered the existence of pedals! As a result I've put together a simple setup that I'd like to buy to start off with, from which I can expand later on, but I'm not entirely sure if it will all work. I've researched the orders that pedals should be put in, and was hoping for a little verification from users here.

Basically, having listened to Royal Blood recently and been inspired, I wanted to split my bass guitar into two separate channels which are separately modified, then combined again into the amp. This way I can simulate having two different instruments at once.

The setup I've come up with is:
Bass -> Tuner -> Amp Selector -> Overdrive -> Noise Reducer -> Amp Selector -> Amp
\-> Pitch Shift -> Noise Reducer -/

I've created a little diagram to try and illustrate the setup:

I wondered, would this work okay? Also I should probably note, I have a small budget for the initial pedals, cables and amp (I'd like a new one as my current one is very old), and therefore have gone with Behringer pedals. Upon reading reviews I've seen mixed responses, but the overbearing opinion is that they're cheaper but not too shabby compared to big brands. As a starter I figured this was suitable.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I look forward to any help you can give.
Last edited by JimbobJeffers at Nov 25, 2014,
Quote by JimbobJeffers
Basically, having listened to Royal Blood recently and been inspired, I wanted to split my bass guitar into two separate channels which are separately modified, then combined again into the amp.
Not a hell of a bad idea, it'd work nice.
Quote by JimbobJeffers
This way I can simulate having two different instruments at once.
You won't obtain that effect though, at all.

It may sound fuller to an extent, but it'll sound like a bit of a mess if you use the same amp and pedals of such quality and you don't differentiate your sound enough or you want your sounds to stand out equally.

I'm not sure how the amp selector is designed and the last one in your chain may well work pretty bad, so you may need a simple summing box if you hear the volume dropping as soon as you engage both chains.

Also if you're low on money you may as well use a Y cable in place of the first amp selector.

If you haven't bought the pedals already, don't get behringer's.
Joyo and affiliates make hella better pedals for around the same price.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Behringer bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Consider checking out used pedals on craigslist, Reverb.com, and eBay. You might end up spending more money on your pedal setup, but you can get much nicer pedals. Check out Boss and Mooer. If you're gigging, you'll definitely want pedals that will be reliable. If you're not gigging, it's not as big of a deal.

In addition, you will want to check out a power supply rather than running each of the pedals with a 9V battery. They are also expensive, but in retrospect, you are looking at 7 pedals and a 4 pack of 9V batteries is like $15 + tax. You'll have to replace the batteries monthly, depending how much you play.

Voltage starts to go down from the moment you turn the pedal on, so eventually your tone will suffer. Some people are into that sound. I'd rather not have to worry about my pedals dying on stage.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at Nov 25, 2014,
Great idea...

Only issue is the reliability on those Behringers... I've had ones that broke before I opened the box...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Thanks for the quick responses! I wasn't sure if using two Y-cables would work straight from the guitar, but if it does then that'll save me a nice amount of money, which I could put towards better pedals instead I guess. I appreciate the heads-up on that note, and I'll check out Joyo too.

I'll definitely be using a power supply, forking out a ton of money on 9V batteries is definitely not ideal.

I only plan to use this stuff for home use though, is behringer okay for such purposes? If not, as I said I'll check out other makes. I like the look of Boss, but not the price.

EDIT: I forgot to add, would using two smaller amps be better then? I was planning on making both channels very different in sound, but if it won't be clear when it comes through the amp, I'll go for two separate ones.
Quote by JimbobJeffers
Thanks for the quick responses! I wasn't sure if using two Y-cables would work straight from the guitar, but if it does then that'll save me a nice amount of money, which I could put towards better pedals instead I guess.
No wait you can't use two Y cables, you can only use one.

Using Y cables works for splitting signals.
Using Y cables is not how you wanna sum signals.
Quote by JimbobJeffers
I only plan to use this stuff for home use though, is behringer okay for such purposes?
Problem's not only reliability - behringer pedals sound bad in general.
Quote by JimbobJeffers
I forgot to add, would using two smaller amps be better then? I was planning on making both channels very different in sound, but if it won't be clear when it comes through the amp, I'll go for two separate ones.
Yeah they would be better but smaller amps are usually worse than a single bigger amp for bass.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
No wait you can't use two Y cables, you can only use one.

Using Y cables works for splitting signals.
Using Y cables is not how you wanna sum signals.

Ah, well I actually did some more research and found out that decent tuners can be used to split signals too, and that the Boss TU3 is great at doing this with little/no loss in quality, so I'll switch out the tuner and amp selector for that instead.

Quote by Spambot_2
Yeah they would be better but smaller amps are usually worse than a single bigger amp for bass.

So would two Lindo amps be better than a single one of the following (assuming I'll be modifying the bass channels enough to make them distinctly separate)?
- Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
- Marshall MG15CF
Again I'm only using this at home. I'm somewhat inclined toward toward the Marshall amp, but I have no idea how I'd join the two separate leads back up into one for the input.

Also I couldn't find a decent replacement for the Behringer Ultra Shifter pedal (well, one less than £60 anyway), but the Boss distortion pedal seems like a good replacement for the Behringer one I had before.

Quote by diabolical
Why two noise gates? You can run one in front after the tuner if it is even needed for bass, I'd venture to guess that it isn't.

Oh, I didn't realise it wasn't so important for bass. I guess I'll leave it out for now then, thanks. And if I do need one, I'll probably go with the Boss model instead.

Thanks all again for your input, sorry that I have so many questions!

EDIT: Meh, regarding having one amps or two... I think I'll get myself the Marshall amp and then add the other Peavey one later (hey, Christmas is coming up). I discovered the a Morley AB/Y Selector can be used to combine the two lines together, but given its price, I may as well spend a little more on a second amp.

I'll get this all purchased and hopefully I'll have something to show in the not-too-distant future.
Marshall MG bad, Behringer bad.
It's not just a reliability issue - they sound bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Wait are you planning on running your bass and the pedals into guitar combos?

I don't think that's a good Idea. You'll need like a full range speaker to do that (or a bass combo/head)
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Cheap bass amps can be had by Peavey and Fender, I think Fender had one that was 60 watt under $300. For line switching get the Boss Line Selector, it'll take care of all your needs and you can blend even the two channels together, or use each separately.

I'd hate to ask but why not a multifx unit at this point? The Boss GT-10B or some of the older ones like the GT-6B used might be a great choice and it'll do the blending for you.
I hadn't realised they were guitar amps, thank you for pointing that out.

How's this Peavey amp?
Peavey Max110 MkII

It claims to be 100W, although it's the only amp in that price range I can find that is greater than 60W so perhaps I should be sceptical. But it seems okay, plus it has two inputs, although seeing as they're Active/Passive I'm unsure if they can be used at the same time?

EDIT: Sorry, I have one last question... I think I'm sold on the Peavey as it's a bass amp with decent wattage, even if it's less than the 100W they claim. However, I'm curious - instead of splitting my bass through the tuner and plugging both outputs into the Peavey amp, could I use the Boss LS-2? My idea being to run the bass into the Input, then setting it to A + B Mix and running outputs from Send A and Send B to my separate pedal setups, joining them back together in the Return A and Return B before finally outputting to the amp through the Output. Would that work, or would the blend of both channels through the same amp not work through this pedal?
Last edited by JimbobJeffers at Nov 26, 2014,
It's a bit of a toy. I was quite impressed by my bass player's old Fender Rumble (300w 4x10 I think). Sure it aint a pinch of shit on his new Mark Bass Liitle Mark Tube 800W 6x10 but it was pretty acceptable for what it was.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
And forget Behringers, they suck in all levels...

Fish the classified for your needs and get decent set to begin with. No matter how much you fiddle with the sound, you won't be able to acheive anything god with this brand!
Go with the 15 inch speaker for bass, 10 inch is just too small, won't project the lows well.
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Peavey-MAX115-MKII-Bass-Combo-Amplifier/U6S

Fender Rumble is the one I was referring to. BTW, these can be picked up for next to nothing used, as can Line6 line of bass gear.
Quote by diabolical
Go with the 15 inch speaker for bass, 10 inch is just too small, won't project the lows well.
Only at higher volumes if you don't have enough of them.
Come on man it's acoustics 101.

That is, if you mean frequency response.
If by projection you meant directionality then a couple 10" will still be better.

Don't get me wrong I hella prefer the result of one or two 15" + an 8" or 6", though it's absolutely not like
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
It's just that I've been there, done that. Single 10 in speaker on bass is no bueno any way you look at it. It doesn't move enough to generate the thump. Best solution is 4x10 and a 1x15 combo cab but now we're talking touing levels. I think for the extra pounds he should at least go with the 12 inch speaker. My 2 pence.
The Fender Rumble 4x10 isn't very big. It's adequate.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I recently came into a little money and am able to spend a bit more on this. As I intend to record and play at the same time, I did a little research into home setups. I'm still keeping with the split outputs idea with my bass (using a Boss TU3 tuner), but to record them separately while hearing myself play I thought about using the AudioBox . I would output each side of my pedal setup to the 1st and 2nd inputs of the box, then output to my PC via USB for recording while also outputting to a Peavey Max 115 Bass Amp for listening. An illustration of this for better understanding is below:

Would this work? One of my concerns is that the Channel 1 input of the AudioBox is labelled 'Mic', I'm not sure if that will have an effect on its recording? Another is the quality of the headphone output compared to the Main outputs (which are L/R and hence I'd need two amps for).

If anyone can confirm that this would be alright as a setup, that'd be great.
Yes this would work but you would ideally need a reamping box.

The mic input works with mic's, lines and instruments, so that part's fine.
The headphones output is stereo, with both channels (left and right) on a single jack.
The line outputs are mono but it's not like you couldn't route everything to one output and connect that to your amp.

Some amps work with line inputs, so the thing may work as it is, though I've never managed to get any sound out of it running a line signal into its input, so if that's the case with your amp you will need a reamping box.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I think both are combination inputs, ie mic and line level.

Not sure why you'd want to do this though, you can record to one channel, and then either copy that to second track and apply fx or split into two busses in the DAW and apply fx.

I'd record dual or more bass signals only if I was capturing an amp with a mic. I use to do 3 back in the studio, one dynamic kick drum mic to capture lows, one big diaphragm condenser and a direct signal. Honestly, I would do the effects in the DAW, much more options and you get to redo. You could also reamp if you really want to use outboard.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 19, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
Yes this would work but you would ideally need a reamping box.

The mic input works with mic's, lines and instruments, so that part's fine.
The headphones output is stereo, with both channels (left and right) on a single jack.
The line outputs are mono but it's not like you couldn't route everything to one output and connect that to your amp.

Some amps work with line inputs, so the thing may work as it is, though I've never managed to get any sound out of it running a line signal into its input, so if that's the case with your amp you will need a reamping box.

Thanks for the clarification on those questions.

I was thinking though, perhaps instead of wiring the output to an amp (and rather than invest in a reamp I could just use the aux in anyway, right?), I could just output to some decent speakers? Seeing as the music would be edited and listened to through speakers anyway, and I'm only going to playing in my room. I've found a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers which seem pretty highly regarded, and they could be connected to the PC through a Denon PMA 720AE*. I do still have a practice amp for when that's needed.

Quote by diabolical
I think both are combination inputs, ie mic and line level.

Not sure why you'd want to do this though, you can record to one channel, and then either copy that to second track and apply fx or split into two busses in the DAW and apply fx.

I'd record dual or more bass signals only if I was capturing an amp with a mic. I use to do 3 back in the studio, one dynamic kick drum mic to capture lows, one big diaphragm condenser and a direct signal. Honestly, I would do the effects in the DAW, much more options and you get to redo. You could also reamp if you really want to use outboard.

I've split it into two outputs from my bass because I'd like to apply different pedal effects to each line, e.g. synth to one and distortion to another. It could be done through software but I'd just prefer to have the physical pedals at hand.

*Hopefully the Denon amp would support my 5kg monitor on top... Seeing as they're designed for stacks I don't see why not.
Last edited by JimbobJeffers at Dec 19, 2014,