Hi,
So is their a program that can translate say c open g open etc tuning to standard for free? Can't be bothered tuning my guitar and break more string!!
Sorry is this is the wrong sub forum.
most songs that are tuned to an open tune are tuned that way for a reason.

learn to tune and you won't break strings doing so.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Put your guitar in Drop D and learn it that way. Then you'll know how to play it should you ever get a guitar for that tuning.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
and make sure you are tuning it lower not higher, you probably already know this but the only reason why a string would break by tuning is because you were tuning it higher or the string is not setup right.
Quote by lolmnt
I love to have my vag pounded by guys who make lame threads on the internet!

Quote by snipelfritz
This thread topic is gold. I've been on this website for 8 years and I've never come up with anything like this. So yeah. Great job TS[457undead].
Quote by Guitar137335
The songs I wanna learn are in drop c so I can play that in standard without crazy stretches?

notes are notes dude you can figure it out yourself with a little effort. won't sound the same though regardless of what you do. the pitch in standard will be much higher than written in a tab.
A drop C song can be played quite easily in drop D, it'll just sound a step higher. As for "open" tunings, such as Open G... those tuning are used to achieve chord formations and voicings that simply are not possible (or would require finger-breaking stretches) in standard tuning. Just learn to tune. If your strings are breaking, you're not doing it right. Like Undead said, you won't break a string by tuning down, only by tuning up. And E Standard is pretty much the highest tuning used in popular music. Drop D, Drop C, and Open G all require tuning DOWN from standard, not up.
Quote by Guitar137335
The songs I wanna learn are in drop c so I can play that in standard without crazy stretches?

No. That's exactly what drop tunings are for, besides hitting lower notes. Playing chords that would require crazy stretches in standard. For example, a common chord I've seen in a lot of drop D/C music is fretted as 5-5-7-9-x-x. In order to play the same chord in standard tuning, it would be fretted 3-5-7-9-x-x. Not many people can nail that stretch. And most who can would rather tune to drop D and not have to.

If the drop C songs that you want to learn are literally nothing but one-finger power chords, then yeah, you could play that in standard. Except that any song like that would almost certainly include some chugging on the open low string, and you won't have the right note for that in standard. You could transpose it, but that's really more work than it's worth. Just use the right tuning for the songs you want to play.
you can get nice slide on the top strings by tuning the high e to d. hit it with a slide and go. and everything else is the same. and plus you can change it mid song too in a second or two.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Guitar137335
Hi,
So is their a program that can translate say c open g open etc tuning to standard for free? Can't be bothered tuning my guitar and break more string!!

I use a Variax. They're on sale and there's a $150 mail-rebate from Line 6 as well.

This is all so easy with a Variax guitar, seriously. Tune the guitar to E standard. There's a dial on the Variax that will give you a selection of alternate tunings using pitch replacement technology for each individual string. Want Open G? Dial it up, and play the guitar as if you'd just picked up a guitar tuned to Open G. What comes out of the amp is Open G. Want Baritone tuning? Rotate the dial to Baritone. Blues G? Same deal. The tension on the string NEVER CHANGES, which means that you can UP tune to mandolin tuning and bend strings.

All of the Variax guitars can be flipped into "virtual capo" mode, which will allow you to tell the guitar what tuning you want within a few seconds, and then save it to one of the presets.

Note that you'll want to have the volume up on the amp just high enough to drown out whatever's coming acoustically from the fretboard; otherwise it'll sound a little weird.
Learn how to tune a guitar. No way open C or G should break strings. I'm a slide guitarist and use open tunings all the time. You're only talking about small changes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dspellman
I use a Variax. They're on sale and there's a $150 mail-rebate from Line 6 as well.

This is all so easy with a Variax guitar, seriously. Tune the guitar to E standard. There's a dial on the Variax that will give you a selection of alternate tunings using pitch replacement technology for each individual string. Want Open G? Dial it up, and play the guitar as if you'd just picked up a guitar tuned to Open G. What comes out of the amp is Open G. Want Baritone tuning? Rotate the dial to Baritone. Blues G? Same deal. The tension on the string NEVER CHANGES, which means that you can UP tune to mandolin tuning and bend strings.

All of the Variax guitars can be flipped into "virtual capo" mode, which will allow you to tell the guitar what tuning you want within a few seconds, and then save it to one of the presets.

Note that you'll want to have the volume up on the amp just high enough to drown out whatever's coming acoustically from the fretboard; otherwise it'll sound a little weird.

i haven't done the variax thing at all, but i imagine i would go crazy playing in EADGBE and actually hearing another note coming through. what is that like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i haven't done the variax thing at all, but i imagine i would go crazy playing in EADGBE and actually hearing another note coming through. what is that like.

Either play loud or use headphones.
Can you change the pups in the Variax or are you stuck with whatever they come with and have to rely on pup modeling? Most of us tend to be pretty finicky with pup choices.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jpnyc
Either play loud or use headphones.

i understsand that it could be audibly blocked out, you still feel the different vibrations on the guitar.

i know it would drive me nuts if there were any differences.

you cant tell me that E chord would be different than all of the strings sounding like than an open G, the string vibration would be just hitting the strings open and hearing a chord?

hell if it does it for you good, but i don't think its for me.

if i were to get a midi guitar it be a EBMM JP with piezio.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Can it model a boutique pup? It may be able to simulate a different type of pup (ie s/c, humbucker, etc) but can it do Rio Grande, or Lollar, or BKP, etc? Some of us aren't satisfied with generic pups and spend a lot of time and money finding just the right pup.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification