Hello everyone, I am buying a new guitar (max budget is 520$). I have been searching for like 3 months and I finally narrowed the search down to Gibson SGJ, PRS SE singlecut , Epiphone les paul limited edition pro (with coil split), fender stratocaster MIM (but I hate the 3 coils and the lone star with humbucker costs 600$+)
Okay so I have been playing for lots of years , I am an intermediate and I had an LTD F-10 which is holding up till now pretty good.
from the previously mentioned brands I do really prefer either an sgj or prs se singlue (there is alot of bluffing about the epi's hardware and material on the internet) but the thing is I am a small handed man my hands are really small and something like SGJ would offer me alot of access on the neck more than a singlecut SE
Is this true ? would it really differ from an LP style or an sg style guitar for a small handed man like me ?
One more thing I have a Roland Micro Cube amp
P.S: I am buying from the internet so trying them is not an option.
Thank you in advance ^_^
Last edited by mohamed al gaml at Nov 26, 2014,
"Small-handed" is kind of ambiguous. A few months ago, someone started a thread about needing a guitar for someone with small hands, and, as it turned out, their hands were virtually identical in size to mine...and I play standard guitars in 24.75" and 25.5" scales.

It may be an issue with neck shape more than the size of your hands. How comfy do you find the neck of your current guitar? What kinds of problems are you having?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 26, 2014,
not comfy at all. The LTD F serious is known for it's not very comfortable rosewood neck. The bends really hurts specially on the 1st four frets I guess that's because that guitar costs 100$
Do you know the guitar's neck shape?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Do you know the guitar's neck shape?

love this pic...it's really useful...
aha it's a thin U shaped one. sry I got u wrong. well I do prefer a thin neck my objection is on the neck material and not the style. I did try an oval c shaped neck (stratocaster) couple of months ago and it wasn't a problem also.
I am having problems with accessing the last octave on my guitar (24 fret style)
Last edited by mohamed al gaml at Nov 26, 2014,
Yeah as DannyAlcatraz said,rather than size I think neck shape plays the most important role.I have small chunky hands.I used to think it put me at a disadvantage on 25.5 scale guitars.My dilema was that i love a C shape Fender neck,It fits perfect in my hand but because i have short fingers i thought the scale length hampered my lead guitar,Stretching etc.Anyway it turned out,I just needed to practice more and get my fingers more supple.I can play fine on a Strat with a modern C now.The only issue that my short fingers present now are playing Hendrix chords the way he did(wrapping my thumb over the low E) but that's not a major problem,It can be worked around.If you know what neck shape feels right for you then go for that and your small hands should'nt cause you a problem in the long run with practice.
Edit:A PRS SE neck should be fine btw,Mine is.They're really thin.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Nov 26, 2014,
Quote by EyeballPaul
Edit:A PRS SE neck should be fine btw,Mine is.They're really thin.

No.

The PRS CU24 (your guitar) has a wide thin neck, while the PRS SE Singlecut has a wide fat neck. They are, play and feel very different.
PRS's wide fat necks are often called "baseball bats" for a reason.

To TS: if neck profile and higher fret access are concerns, your best bet is to try them for yourself -- what feels comfortable to one person may not be comfortable for you.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I surfed the internet a little bit and eventually I ordered the SE Singlecut as the material and hardware including pick-ups are much better, I couldn't find anything that would compare the SE at that price. As for the asymmetrical cutaway it will not be a big problem hopefully. Thanks for your time guys
Quote by Linkerman
No.

The PRS CU24 (your guitar) has a wide thin neck, while the PRS SE Singlecut has a wide fat neck. They are, play and feel very different.

To TS: if neck profile and higher fret access are concerns, your best bet is to try them for yourself -- what feels comfortable to one person may not be comfortable for you.

I never knew that.Cheers
I thought most PRS SE's came with either fat or thin necks? Just the other day I played an SE Singlecut that felt rather slim.
Quote by OroborosYinYang
I thought most PRS SE's came with either fat or thin necks? Just the other day I played an SE Singlecut that felt rather slim.

In the SE series guitars, usually the Singlecut models have the wide fat profile necks while the Custom models' necks are wide thin.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
No.

PRS wide fat neck is not that big.it is smaller than the typical Strat, Tele and LP. It is actually a very comfortable neck profile
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS wide fat neck is not that big.it is smaller than the typical Strat, Tele and LP. It is actually a very comfortable neck profile

Even so, I know plenty of people for whom it's too big.

And I agree that it's a very comfortable neck profile, but don't forget that many players don't feel comfortable with anything thicker than an Ibanez "toothpick neck", for example. It's purely a matter of personal preference, and one of the most important reasons to try a guitar before buying it.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112