Hi,
So I just learn the Diminished scale and I'm trying to use it over a backing track. I think I got this right. So if the backing tracking was in A minor I would use F Diminished scale or E minor I'd use C sharp Diminished scale? Also how would I use a augmented scale over a backing track?
Thanks!
Also how would you use a whole tone scale over a backing track😄 sorry for all the questions!
The F diminished scale leads back to Am. You can play it over an E7 chord and resolve to A. It won't sound that great over the Am chord though.

What you're doing it you're taking the V chord (E) and raising(altering) the root by a semitone to increase the dissonance before resolving to Am. It's borrowed from the Harmonic Minor scale.

In Em your V chord is B. If you alter the root you get the C diminished scale.
it's not diminished "scale". it's arpeggios.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
it's not diminished "scale". it's arpeggios.

You obviously aren't familiar with the dimished scale. You should really look things like this up before you go posting that it isn't a thing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Guitar137335
Hi,
So I just learn the Diminished scale and I'm trying to use it over a backing track. I think I got this right. So if the backing tracking was in A minor I would use F Diminished scale or E minor I'd use C sharp Diminished scale? Also how would I use a augmented scale over a backing track?
Thanks!
Also how would you use a whole tone scale over a backing track😄 sorry for all the questions!

If you're playing in minor key, the nearest dim scale is a semitone below the key note (so, G# dim is nearest to A minor, and sets up the A minor, D# dim sets up E minor).

Dim scales whose roots are 3 semitones apart all share same pitches. So, F, G#, B, D dim all share same. Just playing those four pitches (F, G#, B, D) then C over Am gives clear sense of resolution. As does (G#, B, D, F) then E over Am, or (B, D, F, G#) then A.

Suggest you try the whole tone scale for an augmented sound. (6 note scale, each pitch a tone away from its neighbour) This works like normal dominant-type scales, so , when functioning as expected, introduces the tonic a 4th higher. E.g. With C7#5 F, could play

C D E F# G# A# C D then C over the F.

cheers, Jerry