Anyone else has been struggling with his vocal range? and by struggling I am utterly disappointed. I am a Baritone and I have been basically fighting with my Larynx over them high notes to no avail, the only thing I got from that Is a lot of pain both in the chest and the throat.

I do want to extend my range over to the high notes but I have little information on how to do it, I was just wondering If I was not alone on this topic because it really frustrates me.

On another note, what separates a mediocre singer from a virtuoso ? (Professional singers ofc)
Is it range? Is it how they control their voice?
There are a lot of singers out there, but only few that we actually go on and remember through out our lives, so what touched your soul and what didn't ?
Share!
it's not pretty.
1. ensure you have both pharyngeal and laryngeal functions
2. master your pharyngeal/head voice first.
3.bring back in laryngeal/belt to fill in the extra space you made
4. balance your tone till you find a tonal approach appropriate for your muscles.

I'd have to say what seperates normal from virtuoso, is the natural ability of having both 1 and 2 already working. myself starting horribly with only 1 usable octave, step 1 and 2 were the hardest.

and once you get to a pro level, you sorta realize that each voice can potentially sound amazing. the best singers can still only sing in one main style, while there's a lot of illusionary things/vocal effects to make them seem capable of multiple voicings/styles.
Last edited by Eisa_Kashu at Nov 26, 2014,
Very interesting and technical answer !
How did you accomplish these steps ? Daily solfege ?

Also, what is your treatment for strained/overused vocal cords ?
Apart from the usual hot beverage and lots of water.

I apply a lotion around the base of the neck to heat
the whole area and keep it warm - done amazing things
to the muscles around.. do recommand to try
a good singer is someone who doesnt get out of pitch, and never get out of breath. thats it. the vocal range doesnt make you more of a good singer than another. yeah it gives you more resources as a singer, but even when you can stretch your range to pretty much any field, the human voice have its limits, you cant make barry white sings zeppelin and you cant make steve perry sounds like screaming trees, and all these are great singers. there are a couple of exceptions who can make a lot of range tough. a virtuoso to me is someone who can make whatever he/she wants WITHIN his/her range. shit there's ppl like steven tyler who have an awful voice sound but i've never heard a bad note, and that makes them to me virtuosos.
vocal strain is interesting. if you vocal cords are outta wack but not inflammed, aloe vera drink and a day of rest. if you actually have trouble talking normally, it indicates severe inflammation which needs 2 weeks to recover.

if you suck like I did, you really need a good vocal coach. Phil Moufarrege is a great teacher. I also consider myself one but I haven't gotten around to doing anything about formal teaching.
Last edited by Eisa_Kashu at Nov 26, 2014,
Quote by 3Mb-Ry
a good singer is someone who doesnt get out of pitch, and never get out of breath. thats it. the vocal range doesnt make you more of a good singer than another. yeah it gives you more resources as a singer, but even when you can stretch your range to pretty much any field, the human voice have its limits, you cant make barry white sings zeppelin and you cant make steve perry sounds like screaming trees, and all these are great singers. there are a couple of exceptions who can make a lot of range tough. a virtuoso to me is someone who can make whatever he/she wants WITHIN his/her range. shit there's ppl like steven tyler who have an awful voice sound but i've never heard a bad note, and that makes them to me virtuosos.

Totally agree!
Quote by 3Mb-Ry

Yep. A virtuoso is someone who really makes the most of the gifts they were given. If you are a baritone, trying to cover Steve Perry or Robert Plant in their original keys will always end badly. Change keys or sing stuff that YOU can make amazing and just appreciate those stratospheric tenors for their very different gifts.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY