OK, Hi guys, this is my first post.
OK so I need some help. I've been trying to get the perfect tone for my guitar for the longest time. Ive only been playing 8 months with really cheap equipment (Epiphone SG Special and a Fender Champion 20) I really hated the sound I was getting. I knew Tom Delonge (My musical/philisophical inspiration, Guitarist for Blink 182/ Angels and AIrwaves) used Invaders back in the day so I thought they were nNo-Brainers. I was going for that heavy sound that has a strong defined Treble end but still with thick, chunky distortion. I got the pickup, and hated it even more. The bass end was way too out of control. My stock neck pickup was more of a trebly pickup than the Invader. I then decided before I change the pickup I should look at some more amps. The Champion 20 was obviously for Classic Rock. I looked at Vox Valvetronix, Fender Mustangs, and Line 6 Spiders, but The Peavey Vypyr VIP looked best for now. Nothing that could compete with a band with but I LOVED the distortion sounds. I fell In love with the amp as soon as I heard the Acoustic modeling Too. It was a great amp all around. But the pickup was still... lacking. So I'll get the new amp either way but I want to know if there is anything else I can do to find my tone or if you have a pickup idea please tell me.
The amp's the problem there.
The guitar isn't hella good but the amp really is the problem.

Follow the directions in this thread and give us these info so we can properly advise you - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Before you start blowing money on pickups, play your guitar through a number of amps. You're likely to find that one of those amps likes your pickups just fine.

Second bit of advice; never buy a pickup based on some guitar hero's use of it or on random Internet suggestions. Chances are good that 90% of those who chime in have never actually used the pickup in question, but are simply parroting someone else's recommendation.

Third, realize that modern recording often takes a clean guitar track and re-amps it (changing it entirely), sometimes more than once, to get the sound that you hear on a record.

Fourth, what you get in your bedroom, with small space and hard walls, is rarely going to be what you get when you're out somewhere.

And finally, pickups and string brands are probably the last thing you'll want to tweak in your sound chain, and they make the least amount of difference. Start at the speaker cabinet and work backwards.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 26, 2014,
try lots of highs, fair bit of mids and cut the bass a touch and Lowering the bass side of the pups (or raise the treble side). Don't worry too much about changing pups rn. Tom used Invades in a strat, which is quite different from a sg. Notice He doesnt use the SD's in his ES335's and he uses Gibson Dirty Fingers. he put these in his strat now to IIRC.

I'd focus more on getting a better amp, probably something higher gain, Tom used a rectifier of some sort for most of the big blink stuff and used AC30's with AVA. He DOES use AC30s and Fender Twins live with Blink now, but the Mesa sounded alot better IMHO. Id look into A JCM 800 or 900, a Rectifier or maybe a 6505 combo or something similar.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Nov 26, 2014,
^ early blink was Marshall JCM900 DR
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dont forget that those tracks are layered/double tracked and panned guitars. Like anything else, it makes a big difference in what youre hearing and perceiving as the guitar tone.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by dspellman
And the other issue is that the above is an oxymoron.
Very true. Pop and punk are antonyms.

JCM900 is what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A