If i put a locking nut on a strat with a vintage bridge, will it keep its tuning even if i use the trem arm quite alot? Or would it still slip out of tune? And if not, how would i go about installing a floyd stylr trem on it?
Thanks
You sure? Would the trem not be streching the strings and all making it go out
yeah the strings would stretch over time and it would need retuning every now and then but that's pretty much the same for any kind of floating trem
If you put a locking nut on a guitar you'll also need to replace the bridge with one that has fine tuners. When you lock the strings, the nut is pressing down on them hard enough to to slightly raise the pitch. You need fine tuners to re-tune after you've locked the nut.

Putting a Floyd Rose style trem into a vintage style trem route will require some woodwork, routing and such.

Check out this website . Their product might be something you could use.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Nov 26, 2014,
Quote by biga29
If you put a locking nut on a guitar you'll also need to replace the bridge with one that has fine tuners. When you lock the strings, the nut is pressing down on them hard enough to to slightly raise the pitch. You need fine tuners to re-tune after you've locked the nut.

couldn't you counteract this by undertuning slightly and then tightening
Quote by So-Cal
couldn't you counteract this by undertuning slightly and then tightening

You could, but it's not very practical. Fine tuners or bust.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i would argue it's about as practical as trying to keep a floyd rose in tune but then again i've never owned a decent one
Quote by So-Cal
i would argue it's about as practical as trying to keep a floyd rose in tune but then again i've never owned a decent one

I kind of understated it when I said 'not very practical'. It would make tuning the guitar even more of a pain in the ass as it already is.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by BMO123
Thanks dudes , ill just stick to a vintage trem

If you stick with a vintage trem just be sure to stay with a standard nut to. With a locking nut and standard trem with no fine tuners, it will be a never ending battle getting it in tune and keeping it that way once the nut is locked. IMO fine tuners on the bridge are absolutely essential with a locking nut.