Page 1 of 3
I'm gonna try to keep my question short and to the point.

I'm sitting on 2300 dollars for new guitar gear, and I really really need a new amp.

For me I really want an Axe Fx sor the easy of recording and the massive bank of tones I can get (mostly for my 7 string guitars tuned to drop G and drop A so any suggestions you may have please keep that in mind. I'm into metal so a blues amp isn't for me)

I wanted to know how you guys feel about the Axe FX (reliability, build quality, overall feel, ease of use ect) or if you feel I should just go with a high and head and a good 2x12 or 4x12.
For real amps I was considering an EVH 5153 or a Peavey 6505+ (Wanted an ENGL powerball but if I get that I won't have money for a good cabinet. Fireball maybe?)

GO!
Last edited by cheosamad at Nov 26, 2014,
I think the Axe is nice and really cool. But if your not going to use all that it has to offer a real amp may be a better choice.

Have you thought about a Kemper Profiling amp? They take an actual recording of amps and that is what you hear. I think I would rather have a Kemper than an Axe, but I don't need all of the extras that they have.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I blew an AxeFX off the stage with my RM100 the other night. RM100's can go pretty cheaply used and are as versatile as the modules you load into them.
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If its for recording, you want the Kemper, trust me. Axe is cool for live use but doesn't cut it in the studio IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If its for recording, you want the Kemper, trust me. Axe is cool for live use but doesn't cut it in the studio IMO.

90% of this is for home recording and jamming with friends. Is the Kemper really that good? (I have 0 experience with one hands on) I've heard its downfall is when you download presets others have made that its a preset made in their scenario with their guitar ect and it might not truly match up with yours (but that could just be crap for all I know. I definately like that you can get one for 200 less than an axe fx.

As for real Amps if I go that route and wanted to record how hard is it to mic up a cab with a mic like a shure sm57 and get a good tone? Idk anything about micing up cabs so I wouldn't wanna get all the gear and than come to find out I suck at recording with real amps.

Also thank you everyone for the responses.
It's not hard to mike up an amp at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's not hard to mike up an amp at all.

Quite true!!!

I'm doing a very good "profiling" job with Amplitube 3 and Studio One's impulse/response loader. Still can't beat a real amp though but I think I'm getting sounds close to what the kids are crapping their pants for on Youtube.

To me the best "profiling" preamp has been the Sansamp PSA-1. I still holding on to mine.
I have a couple of main points. i am a terrible modeling amp customer. i find one or two things i like or do what i need and i am satisfied. i have several decent amps, but they have their purposes.

but i think there are a lot of people like me who have fun for a while nail down two or three tones they like and don't bother to do more.

some may not be like me but thats what i do,

if you love messing around with effects and persets, its better for your kind.

also if you do go digital, go kemper over axe at least from demos and what i read.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So far I am not really digging the AXE in live situations. Neal Schon used one this summer and I thought he sounded awful. This is a guy who has had pretty excellent tone since the 70s. It might be ok for recording but so far it looks like lots of foam and little beer. Pod or Tonelab might be as good at 1/5 the price. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The one I heard the other night sounded like it was modeling a Randall RG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cajundaddy
So far I am not really digging the AXE in live situations. Neal Schon used one this summer and I thought he sounded awful. This is a guy who has had pretty excellent tone since the 70s. It might be ok for recording but so far it looks like lots of foam and little beer. Pod or Tonelab might be as good at 1/5 the price. YMMV

I currently own a Pod HD 500X so the point for me is to upgrade. As far as live situations I've seen several bands use Axe FX live and sound good to me. I saw Within The Ruin in NYC and they were using the Axe FX to great effect. Sounded extremely clear and really suited their live mix. 2 nights ago I saw the Acacia Strain and spent the entire night thinking they were using 6505's because I saw roadies moving some around all night for different bands. Met up with them after the show and talked to their guitarist. Turns out only 2 of the bands on the tour were using those 6505's the rest (The Acacia Strain, Emmure, and Fit For A King) were all using the Axe FX. I think it might just be from person to person but it can for sure stand with a real amp in a live situation if used properly.
one benefit of a regular guitar -> tube amp.

all you need is a combo or two things a combo and a head.

you can get wheels if they are too heavy for you to carry, and your done.

easy in/out.

and one other thing is if you were to pick up an amp used, typically if in the same condition after using if for a few years you won't lose much if selling to somebody else. when new software comes out, the old versions take a hit and aren't worth near what you payed. you lose some big bucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I blow modelers off the stage every other night. So far, I'm not impressed. Haven't heard a Kemper yet though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by cheosamad
I currently own a Pod HD 500X so the point for me is to upgrade... etc.

you have the most recent floor pedal unit on the market. sure it isn't axe, but i think the money would be better sunk into one something else. its not like you are outdated. if you would have said pod 2.0 i would say probably axe.

what do you NOT have that would would use in your current situation? pod v. axe
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you have the most recent floor pedal unit on the market. sure it isn't axe, but i think the money would be better sunk into one something else. its not like you are outdated. if you would have said pod 2.0 i would say probably axe.

what do you NOT have that would would use in your current situation? pod v. axe

To be frank I just DON'T like the sound I'm getting out of it. I feel like it was a bad buy but luckily I got it used at a good price so I don't feel like I lost a lot and I'm glad I've had the experience so I know this particular sound interface isn't for me. When I had other amps I couldn't go more than a few hours in my room before I felt the need to play and practice and learn but with this I feel like i'm walking into disappointment every time I hook up. To be honest I'd rather my old Bugera Trirec over the hd 500x. Plus I've never been in a situation where I've had this much to spend so I kinda feel like I can go big or go home.

The one thing about the 500X I DO like is the dozens of effects and their ease of use. I find myself experimenting with effects I didn't even know existed. For this and this alone I find myself playing with it every other day just to see what other little toys it has that I can discover.
Last edited by cheosamad at Nov 26, 2014,
Keep the Pod for the effects and buy a decent amp. The Pod sounds ok until somebody with a good amp plays directly before or after you. In isolation they sound ok but comparatively speaking, it's no contest.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Keep the Pod for the effects and buy a decent amp. The Pod sounds ok until somebody with a good amp plays directly before or after you. In isolation they sound ok but comparatively speaking, it's no contest.

Could I just buy an amp (lets just say a 5153) and run a line out of the fx loop through the pod hd and back into the amp and instead of having the channels on the pod be amps sims simply put a single effect on each channel and use it as a pedalboard?
Quote by Cathbard

+3.1415

look into the splawn nitro KT88. get it on a good cab (Splawn makes phenomenal cabs) or with their speakers. they do not like V30's though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by cheosamad
Could I just buy an amp (lets just say a 5153) and run a line out of the fx loop through the pod hd and back into the amp and instead of having the channels on the pod be amps sims simply put a single effect on each channel and use it as a pedalboard?
Yes, you just turn off the modeling. That's how I run my GT-100. And if you get a MIDI switchable amp like my RM100 you can line the amp channels up with the patches so everything changes at once.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ippon
Or you can get a Soldano SLO100 with what you already have, plus change depending ...

For the low low price of..... at the cheapest online thus far I've seen 2700 dollars. The next cheapest is so expensive I could have an Axe Fx a 5153 and a Mesa 4x12 and still not spend as much on that head.
Quote by Cathbard
Yes, you just turn off the modeling. That's how I run my GT-100. And if you get a MIDI switchable amp like my RM100 you can line the amp channels up with the patches so everything changes at once.

I do something similar, and it works great. Get yourself a top of the line amp and don't worry about digital gimmicks!
Exactly. For the price of an AxeFX you could buy an RM100 loaded with boutique preamp modules. Eat real steak, not tofu burgers. Tofu is for hippies and hipsters.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by cheosamad
For the low low price of..... at the cheapest online thus far I've seen 2700 dollars. The next cheapest is so expensive I could have an Axe Fx a 5153 and a Mesa 4x12 and still not spend as much on that head.

You have so many options, choose one. If you make a mistake, do it all over again.

Mesa.

Keep your Pod as a DME but run through a toneful amp. I don't see the AXE as much of an upgrade over your Pod.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
OH I forgot to mention one other thing and it makes a huge difference. My Pod hd500x doubles as a bass amp for me. THAT'S the other reason an AXE FX is useful to me. Otherwise I'll have to buy a new bass amp (which is fine but I really know jack squat about bass amps other than fender bassman combos are apparently okay and drive pedals are a must and even that is just youtube tech expert opinions that I've picked up on recently and probably aren't too accurate.)
MarkBass.

But nobody's suggesting that you ditch the Pod; mate it with a good amp is what we're saying. You'll still have it for bass.

Or to continue with the RM100 theme:
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/svp.html

Your cab would need something like EVM-12L speakers but it's doable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 27, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
MarkBass.

But nobody's suggesting that you ditch the Pod; mate it with a good amp is what we're saying. You'll still have it for bass.

Or to continue with the RM100 theme:
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/svp.html

Your cab would need something like EVM-12L speakers but it's doable.

I wonder if Aftershock would consider doing a cab with 2 sets of speakers, one set of V30s and the other with a pair of bass speaks and just have 2 sets of inputs on the back. I think that would be really cool honestly.
i would think that the two cabs be better separate than together, bass frequencies are stronger and would probably mess with the guitar speakers.

mark bass the church i run lights at has IIRC an 4x10 and a 1x15", and a guy lets me play his bass turn up and dammmmmn it sounds amazing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The MarkBass 6x10 is awesome too. And so light for what it is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by cheosamad
I wonder if Aftershock would consider doing a cab with 2 sets of speakers, one set of V30s and the other with a pair of bass speaks and just have 2 sets of inputs on the back. I think that would be really cool honestly.

I used to play a Markbass TTE 500 through a 412 with EVM-12Ls but the new lighter bass speakers with Neo magnets are very nice; for example, the Markbass cabs. I like the Genz Benz 412s with Neos or the EV 215s with EVM-15L and EVM-15B ... covers Motown to Metal if you're not going with the Ampeg fridge and SVT.
I dind't catch in what would be the AxeFX pluged into?

You could have a big difference in tone with the power and Cab used.

I'm running a Tonelab EX on a Peavey Stereo 50/50 with an ol' randall 412 and I don't feel the need to change anything in there. I was considering the AxeFX before I "upgraded" my setup but now, having tested this, I don't realy need it!

So, my point: If you plan on taking the "modded" route, you should start by getting a decent power/cab setup. You might find it plenty with your current pod.

BUT, keep in mind that, IMHO, the "mod" market is more oriented on reproducing tones of other people (IE: Covers). If you are doing original work, you are better of trying to "create" YOUR tone, meaning it's most likely waayyyy better to get a good head and fiddle with it to create a tone.
Need some clarification here... What are you currently running your HD500X into? Did I miss it?

I have an Axe-FX Ultra, a Pod XT, X3, HD (bean and foot pedal) and an XT Bass (and looking at an XT Bass Pro -- rack mount). I've also got a Two-Note Torpedo C.A.B. Pay attention to that last.

With any of these, you need to be willing to dive into it a bit. With the current Pod you want to go through this: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup

In part, you'll find some little tips and tricks that will be "Aha!" moments. The ToneGuide is a bible for the high-gain types, but because they emphasize some of the "fizzy" bits a Pod will exhibit, taming those changes a lot of things for everything else on the Pod.

You'll want to run any modeler into a GOOD set of full range flat frequency response speakers. If you're running them into a guitar cabinet, they'll sound ...uh...less than optimal. Or "like crap" as the case may be. I have a pair of fEARful 15/6/1's. You don't need two. This is a cabinet that uses very high end drivers, but the cabinet itself is a reasonable DIY project if you don't want to sling money around. If you're interested, ask (or google).

I've used the current Axe-FX II, and while it's "more" than the Ultra, I would find a good used Ultra before I'd pay an extra grand for the II. It's a good piece.

I use the Pod HD's live. Honestly, I use the bean version more than the floor version, and I use the bean in the backline (mounted on a mike stand up where I can see it) and an FBV Shortboard II out front. All I need is an ethernet cable from the Pod to the footboard. Most ties I'm using a Line 6 G90 (same as the G50, but racked), and that means there are no fifty buck Mogami's running back and forth across the stage. Just that ethernet cable. No AC Bricks out front, no power supplies, etc.

The Pod by itself is pretty good, but I recently picked up the Torpedo C.A.B., and this changes the game. As far as I'm concerned, the weak point between the Pods and the Axe/Kempers are the cabinet simulations. Like the Kemper, the Torpedo C.A.B. uses IRs, and in addition to the very good ones included, you can import aftermarket IRs and you can use the C.A.B. to profile other cabinets, same as the Kemper. The Axe-FX II now has something that will profile other amps/cabs as well, but honestly (with all three) doing that is a bit of a PIA and nowhere near the advantage you'd think. The other thing the C.A.B. does is provide sims of power amps. EL34s, 6L6's, EL84, 6V6, KT88, etc. This makes a surprising difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mn9116AxiE

The setup works very well, both live and for recording. And because the Torpedo C.A.B. can accept MIDI input, you can actually make any changes to the C.A.B. part of the user presets on the Pod.

If I were you, I'd...

1. Make sure you have a very neutral set of speakers into which to run your Pod.
2. Try out the Pod with the C.A.B. (runs about $550, BTW)
3. If you don't like the Pod plus C.A.B. for both recording and live performance, THEN find a used Axe-FX Ultra. Check it out with and without the C.A.B.
4. If you don't like 1-3, then check out the Axe-FX II or the Kemper, but be ready for the serious depreciation hit if you don't like either one.

Side note: I have 15 tube amps, about half a dozen of which are in my den. Love them. Also have two and a half flap-top bins full of various pedals. These days my most used rig is the Pod HD, the Torpedo C.A.B., a 1500W power amp and a pair of the 15/6/1s.
Regarding Bass!
The Bass Pod XT (available in all three form factors: rack, floor, bean) is a discontinued item that I think is almost a must for a bass player. It models maybe 22 different bass amps, 28 different bass cabs, and a whole potload of FX. You should be able to find the bean version for around $80, the rack will be just under $200 if its pristine, and the same shortboard works with it. I use the same power amp and 15/6/1's (which were actually designed as bass/keyboard cabinets, and which will easily handle a 5-string without farting out and they're about 50 lbs -- far lighter than any 4x12. The power amp weighs 9 pounds.
Maybe I should carry that link with me at gigs and hand it to people with Pods because they must all be driving them wrong. I'm yet to hear anybody using Pods into the desk sound any good. Well, not compared to the rest of us with good tube amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification