I got this USA fender stratocaster for $600. Looked like a great deal to me. Anyone have an idea of the value? It has a few cosmetic flaws, as can be seen in the pictures. Frets are nice, they have just been dressed by a shop.

I wanted to try a strat, and couldn't say no for this price.

Pics here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110639091981200938878/93Strat?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJPLkv6EjY3J9AE&feat=directlink
Last edited by Raccoon1400 at Nov 26, 2014,
There's no vintage value in a 90's Fender Strat. In fact, I would guess they come up short to current ones in reputation, and that doesn't do anything good to the value. I don't know what used ones go for where you live, but considering the condition I wouldn't bet that it is that good of a deal. Locally, I've seen used but new mint condition ones sell for equal to around $800, and I'm in Sweden where a new one costs $1600 and upwards (American Standard). Looking at Sweetwater, they're $1300 new in the US, and half that would be fair used value to start with, dropping with each flaw.

For next time, do research before you buy. It's even more important when buying used. If you're happy with the guitar, it's what matters for now.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
There's no vintage value in a 90's Fender Strat. In fact, I would guess they come up short to current ones in reputation, and that doesn't do anything good to the value. I don't know what used ones go for where you live, but considering the condition I wouldn't bet that it is that good of a deal. Locally, I've seen used but new mint condition ones sell for equal to around $800, and I'm in Sweden where a new one costs $1600 and upwards (American Standard). Looking at Sweetwater, they're $1300 new in the US, and half that would be fair used value to start with, dropping with each flaw.

For next time, do research before you buy. It's even more important when buying used. If you're happy with the guitar, it's what matters for now.

The 90's was the B Schultz era and Fender was doing some great stuff then. That model has the 2 point trem with machined solid saddles which was an upgrade back then. The only real issue is the finish but some scratch remover may bring that finish up nicely if you're up to trying. I don't think I've ever seen an MIA Fender go for less than $600 ever.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The 90's was the B Schultz era and Fender was doing some great stuff then. That model has the 2 point trem with machined solid saddles which was an upgrade back then. The only real issue is the finish but some scratch remover may bring that finish up nicely if you're up to trying. I don't think I've ever seen an MIA Fender go for less than $600 ever.

I couldn't find any cheaper USA strats, I kijiji for all of ontario to compare. There were are few others around $750. This one hadn't been up for long, and it was just down the street. Figured at worst I wouldn't lose, though it doesn't look like its worth a whole lot more. The 90s strats on ebay are around $1000. I don't know if I'll keep it, but I wanted to try a real strat.

I've got a super find sanding kit that might help the finish. I use it for removing scratches from turntable lids.

The neck plays nice, and the neck is in great shape.
Last edited by Raccoon1400 at Nov 27, 2014,