Page 1 of 2
Hey all!

I'm performing a study for one of my university courses and I'm investigating the link between Internet and personal identity.

For my class paper, I want to take a look at Ultimate-guitar's fantastic community on the forums! If you guys want, I was hoping to get your two cents on these questions:

Why do you post on the community boards of this site? How do you feel this contributes to your identity as a guitar player? How does posting benefit you and your guitar playing? Does it at all? and don't worry, I won't use any of your usernames or names in the paper.

These questions are just some guidelines to get a discussion going! I know that I haven't ever made any real contribution to the site, but I have been using its resources for at least the last 5 years and would not be as developed of a guitar player as i am today. Let me know your thoughts on the matter!
Welp. two questions in and we've already hit a major road block.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I post to tell people who ask for help on their homework that gathering statistics this way makes for a flawed sample.

:-)
I post here cause I want to do the sex with the people here
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Maybe you should ask the dorks in musician talk
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
they would ban him for not jacking off to shitty dad rock
I use it as a diuretic.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Hello My Sweet Dear,
How are you?hope fine. My name is Ramatu. I am single girl,never married. I pick interest to communicate with you for purpose.I have something important i want to discuss with you private. Please i will like you to reply me to my private email address(ramatutata@hotmail.com)for easy communication and to tell you reason i contacted you together with my pictures,and details about me. I am waiting to hear from you soon. Remain blessed.
banned
^y were u banned lol
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Theory as a whole tries to describe and define the relationships between intervals heard in music. Read that sentence again. The intervals heard in music.

Theory describes what is heard, it does not prescribe what is to be played. Some people are auditory learners. They learn best by having something told to them, or by hearing audio playback of the subject matter. It is no surprise that many of these auditory learners become musicians. If you can figure out how to make sense compositionally of 6 strings and 22 frets just by listening to the tones for a little while, you'll be miles ahead of the game when your physical technique comes into its own.

The evidence that theory can be learned and understood by ear alone is right in front of us. Any famous musician who was not formally trained in music was still able to play with just about anyone. Music theory is a universal language of music that all proper musicians understand. Whether they know the language by ear or by book, the proof is in the pudding and they can play, and play well. They can communicate effectively with their instrument and are able to do so in a group setting with other musicians who do know theory.

Jimi Hendrix had no formal education in music theory, but he was still one of the most brilliant and innovative musicians of all time. This little tidbit of information is what fuels most of the "I don't need to know theory to play incredible music" movement. The problem with this movement is that Jimi Hendrix did know theory. He just knew it by ear, and by practice and observation. Though he may have never known about modes and how to describe key modulation, he understood the concepts.

1. Why do you post on the community boards of this site?
I get bored and I enjoy talking to other people with similar interests as me.

2. How do you feel this contributes to your identity as a guitar player?
I don't really know what you mean. It does help me to find new music.

3. How does posting benefit you and your guitar playing?
If I have problems with a technique or something along those lines, I can make a thread about it and fellow guitarists help me.

4. Does it at all?
see above
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
Quote by GuitarGod_92
cuz I'm a loser lol

was going to say this almost verbatim
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by GuitarGod_92
You were going to say I was a loser? ;_;

that's the 'almost' part

but nah I have no life so this is pretty much the only way I pass the time
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by dicaireeric
Why do you post on the community boards of this site?

because i'm bored and i want a place to say whatever pops into my brain first

basically a place where i give no fucks

How do you feel this contributes to your identity as a guitar player?

it doesn't

How does posting benefit you and your guitar playing?

it doesn't

Does it at all?

no

and don't worry, I won't use any of your usernames or names in the paper.

don't care lol
Last edited by Dregen at Nov 27, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface
Hello My Sweet Dear,
How are you?hope fine. My name is Ramatu. I am single girl,never married. I pick interest to communicate with you for purpose.I have something important i want to discuss with you private. Please i will like you to reply me to my private email address(ramatutata@hotmail.com)for easy communication and to tell you reason i contacted you together with my pictures,and details about me. I am waiting to hear from you soon. Remain blessed.

:,)
Why do you post on the community boards of this site? to pass the time when bored or putting off dealing with more important issues.
How do you feel this contributes to your identity as a guitar player? it doesn't really, maybe like 7 or 8 years ago when i first joined the punk forum was pretty important in my discovering music &c., but now all those cats died or something.

How does posting benefit you and your guitar playing? Does it at all? I don't think it does, I never really post in the forums actually dedicated to guitar/technique, I am mostly just shooting the shit about bands i like or something not even related to music.
I like to shit all over you with my mental diarrhea.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Why do you post on the community boards of this site? To talk about hockey and why people who don't like corsi are dorks with like-minded friends.

How do you feel this contributes to your identity as a guitar player? Since it results in me not playing guitar it contributes nicely to my identity as someone who does not consider himself a guitar player!
I am a communist, this is a community.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I don't know, habit. I probably shouldn't. It's weird.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
To piss people off. which worked
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by dicaireeric

Why do you post on the community boards of this site?

Yes, why indeed. Notwithstanding the fluctuations in the general consensus, it would seem that the uncertainty is such that any inquiry will in itself bring the subject on par with the secondary query that would follow swiftly. At most.
How do you feel this contributes to your identity as a guitar player?

What even is an identity?
How does posting benefit you and your guitar playing?

Yes.
Does it at all?

Not in that sense.
and don't worry, I won't use any of your usernames or names in the paper.

Please do. I urge you to use my username as the title of your paper.
Some suggestions:

'ultimate-slash: a paper'
'ultimate-slash: how does he do it?'
'ultimate-slash: guitarist or punctuation mark?
'ultimate-slash: sorry ladies, he's taken...

...taken a liking to your friend over there!'

I feel that the blank lines are important in the last suggestion. You could use more (please be my guest, I don't want to tell you how to write your paper), but two lines has to be the minimum I think.
You could also change 'your friend over there' to 'your mom', but it depends on the crowd really. You're a better judge of that than I am.
i post for teh laydeez
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by behind_you
i use my profile views as a measure of my self worth

I've got 15k+ views

Bow to my privilege.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 27, 2014,
Quote by ultimate-slash

Please do. I urge you to use my username as the title of your paper.
Some suggestions:

'ultimate-slash: a paper'
'ultimate-slash: how does he do it?'
'ultimate-slash: guitarist or punctuation mark?
'ultimate-slash: sorry ladies, he's taken...

...taken a liking to your friend over there!'

I feel that the blank lines are important in the last suggestion. You could use more (please be my guest, I don't want to tell you how to write your paper), but two lines has to be the minimum I think.
You could also change 'your friend over there' to 'your mom', but it depends on the crowd really. You're a better judge of that than I am.

I come here for things like this. Taking a break at work just to read the poop that some people type is always amusing.
social experiment

I'm trying to accustom to humanity
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Because someone quoted my post once and put a laughing smiley underneath it, and now I'm forever chasing that high.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Because someone quoted my post once and put a laughing smiley underneath it, and now I'm forever chasing that high.

Quote by Jackintehbox

Does that help?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by ultimate-slash

oh no, now I've got two different highs to chase

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Does that help?

HHHHNNNNNGGGGGGGGG
Page 1 of 2