Hi folks!

I am new to the forum. Here is my story. I played the piano most of my life, but my kid learned from me and one day I decided to play another instrument, so we were able to play together. I chose the bass guitar so he learns how to play root-less chords with his left hand.

Anyway, I bought a very old "musicman" long scale bass and renewed it completely (it has only one J pickup at the middle. I put a DiMarzio (noise cancellation) and it works very well. It is noiseless. I have played that bass for over 18 months now.

We like jazz and mostly 60's and 70's music.

The problem is that I decided to step up and buy a P/J bass. Since I was short on money I bought an used Yamaha RBX-350. Taiwan made.

The bass is in great shape and it is really comfortable to play. It has no fret wear nor fret noise. Neck is straight, finish is nice... the problem is the damned hum...

I took the bass apart and bough new Gotoh Japan made pots...

I made sure ground from bridge is solid and tried original wiring and Fender Jazz Bass wiring. With original wiring in the centre position of the balance knob I would noticeably loose volume, so I left the Jazz Bass wiring with a 500K pot to the P pickup and 250K to tone and the J pickup.

After doing all of this, sound opened up... but hum still remains.

Specially with a 5 meter cable... it is really noisy. Noise goes away if I turn the tone knob to make it sound fatter... it goes away in the last quarter only... all other settings are buzzing (120 Hz buzz I guess). When I touch the strings 60Hz hum goes away but 120Hz hum remains.

It is driving me crazy... I am an expert soldering and I have built several tube amps... so my soldering is flawless, I also cut the wires to make then as short as possible, and wiring is as clean and solid as it can be.

Now... this is my first experience with single coil pickups... is it normal? I did put the 0.047 uF cap (a new one).

Because I never had a single coil instrument (guitar or bass) I cannot say if there is a problem with my bass or if this is normal. I even tried unsoldering the red wire from each pickup and test if hum went away... nothing... even with the 2 pickups disconnected there is still hum.

I would really like to use the brighter setting on the bass as it sounds really cool sometimes... more rythmic... can that be done? Should I get a noise gate or probably buy and install a set of DiMarzio DP-126 pickups?

Please help!
Thanks!
Last edited by pastito2003 at Nov 27, 2014,
What's your amp? Does it have tweeter speakers in there? I managed to get rid of hum I was getting with one of my basses by just turning the tweeter off

I'm more of a guitar player than a bassist but I'd say really intrusive hum isn't normal, no.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Killing your tweeter is an effective way to kill high frequencies, but not what I want to do...
The amp is OK, as my other bass, the one with the DiMarzio pickpup that has noise cancellation, works like a charm. Also I have an Ibanez stratocaster-like guitar with humbuckers that does not have hum issues. And last but not least, if I connect the Yamaha bass to my M-Audio sound interface on my computer, it will still have hum... there also the other bass and the Ibanez are pretty much silent.

Anyone knows if DiMarzio's DP126 will fix this issue?
Quote by pastito2003
Killing your tweeter is an effective way to kill high frequencies, but not what I want to do...

Yeah absolutely it's kind of a half-assed fix. Just thought I'd suggest it as a temporary solution in case the hum was driving you nuts.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ground loop.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Ground loop.

You mean that if it was EMI it would not go away with a DI box?