Lately I've been interested in two guitar playing styles. That kind of a fast, staccato-y funk comping and country/rockabilly chicken picking and hybrid picking. I like a vast variety of different genres, but funk and country have never really been my thing, so I really have no reference point with these techniques, and when I want to learn something new I have no idea where to look.

So, on the other hand, I'd like to know who are some of the most influential and/or technically impressive funk guitarists out there. I'm looking for the kind of style that has fast comping with a lot of muting to create interesting rhythm patterns.

On the other hand, I'm also looking for guitarists who are important in the chicken and hybrid picking techniques. I'm looking to work on my fingerstyle, and I'd also like to learn those fast, snappy country licks.

I'd like to learn some songs by ear, and it is kind of a necessity that i could find the music on youtube. I'd like to know at least a few examples from both styles, and I'm okay with both the pioneering, generally most popular guitarists and your own personal sleeper favourites. As long as it's interesting music
For country players, check out the following: Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, Danny Gatton, Jerry Reed, Joe Maphis, Chet Atkins and Johnny Hiland.

As for funk, check out these groups: Soulive, Papa Grows Funk, Dumpstaphunk, Cookin' on 3 burners, Breakestra, Shaolin Temple Defenders, All Good Funk Alliance, Speedometer, Deep street soul, Phat Phunktion, Ridin Thumb, Strokeland Superband, Doctorfunk, Nils Landgren Funk Unit, James Brown, Tower of Power, The Brothers Johnson, Earth Wind & Fire, Chic, The Haggis Horns. All these groups have ballads, medium tempo and high tempo tunes, so you'll have to do some diggin'.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Country, rockabilly chicken-picking? Albert Lee is one of the all-time greats.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks a bunch for all the replies, I do recognize some names and I might start with those. But I don't play banjo
For chicken playing, guitarist Greg Koch comes in mind. I saw him in a kind-of Master class tour in music shops when Fender introduced the road worn series and Vintage Modified amplifiers. During one hour, he gave an intro on chicken picking, some examples of riff to start with, different techniques to use to achieve certain timbers, etc. Maybe one of the presentations were recorded and is on youtube. I found this one, seems like a part of the presentation is in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBa2XaRlzA

I don't know if he is the best, but at least I learned something that day.
AGEGBand
Guitar / Bass / Keyboard / Back Vocals

Sterling JP50, Fender CP Jazzmaster, Danelectro Danoblaster 12 strings, Aria 5102T, Epiphone LP STD 7 string => Carvin V3M

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5 => Trace Elliot GP7SM250

Korg X50
I'm mainly looking for music to learn and analyze by ear, but that might be an interesting watch Thanks.
Quote by Sickz
For country players, check out the following: Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, Danny Gatton, Jerry Reed, Joe Maphis, Chet Atkins and Johnny Hiland.

As for funk, check out these groups: Soulive, Papa Grows Funk, Dumpstaphunk, Cookin' on 3 burners, Breakestra, Shaolin Temple Defenders, All Good Funk Alliance, Speedometer, Deep street soul, Phat Phunktion, Ridin Thumb, Strokeland Superband, Doctorfunk, Nils Landgren Funk Unit, James Brown, Tower of Power, The Brothers Johnson, Earth Wind & Fire, Chic, The Haggis Horns. All these groups have ballads, medium tempo and high tempo tunes, so you'll have to do some diggin'.

Quite a few I haven't heard here, but I'm sure to check them out! Thanks, Sickz. Nile Rodgers deserves a mention too for funk.

cheers, Jerry
Great suggestions here. I would also have to add :

1)John Scofield - start with the album A Go Go - he's the best soloist by far and his rhythm playing is fantastic. Most tunes are at a pretty slow tempo so they should be accessible by ear.

2) Grant Green - listen to Sookie Sookie - the solo has great phrasing and if you need to begin soloing in funk I would suggest that as a great starting point - very accessible.
I listen to some Scofield every now and then, but to me he's more of a jazz influence. I'll certainly look into Grant Green too.

And thanks for the Rockabilly recs too, Tony, it's much appreciated
Well, you just linked my favourite prog metal song ever, so I guess you have a good taste in music :P That is what got me interested in country in the first place.
Quote by Sickz

Then Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7mqDYTLGzI

Youtube dump
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ