Hey guys,

I'm a decent guitarist but I'm very simple. I don't need to get all crazy with solos and such, but I would like to mature my rhythm playing to be more intricate and interesting rather than just straight strumming with the occasional hammer on.

Any advice or known good resources to embellish and spice up my playing?
Find Al di Meola instructional material on Youtube. His rhythm playing is a delight - tight as a fishes anus, and that's watertight!
Hard kind of question to answer.. I would just say to play some more intricate acoustic songs, and play LOTS of them. If it were me I'd start looking at artists like John Butler, Tommy Emmanuel or maybe if you're after some more popular mainstream songs to jam on try learning some of Igor Presnyakov / Sungha Jung's renditions. That's the road I'd take at least..
Last edited by vayne92 at Nov 27, 2014,
Quote by JamieShields
Hey guys,

I'm a decent guitarist but I'm very simple. I don't need to get all crazy with solos and such, but I would like to mature my rhythm playing to be more intricate and interesting rather than just straight strumming with the occasional hammer on.

Any advice or known good resources to embellish and spice up my playing?

Here's a couple suggestions to bring up your rhythm playing:

Jimi Hendrix - learn little wing, castles made of sand, Bold as Love, Wind Cries Mary , Angel etc. he's the absolute master rhythm player and you should be able to play most of the rhythm parts on acoustic. If you can get a few of these Hendrix tunes under your belt with all the embellishments, it will drastically open up your playing. Much of what he does can be used in other contexts, so it really helps add some variety to your approach. There's really no better rhythm player that I can think of.

Bruce Cockburn - if you're a fingerstyle player check out his solo live album "Slice of Life" - he's basically what Don Ross, Tommy Emmanuel or Andy McKee would be if they were singer-songwriters instead of instrumentalists. Amazing player and it's pretty accessible ( some of it anyway).

Neil Young - if you're a pick player you should really dive into his playing. He has a great attack and really lets loose on the dynamics on acoustic.
Quote by bloodandsoil
Find Al di Meola instructional material on Youtube. His rhythm playing is a delight - tight as a fishes anus, and that's watertight!

hahaha, thanks! I'll look it up!
Quote by reverb66
Here's a couple suggestions to bring up your rhythm playing:

Jimi Hendrix - learn little wing, castles made of sand, Bold as Love, Wind Cries Mary , Angel etc. he's the absolute master rhythm player and you should be able to play most of the rhythm parts on acoustic. If you can get a few of these Hendrix tunes under your belt with all the embellishments, it will drastically open up your playing. Much of what he does can be used in other contexts, so it really helps add some variety to your approach. There's really no better rhythm player that I can think of.

Bruce Cockburn - if you're a fingerstyle player check out his solo live album "Slice of Life" - he's basically what Don Ross, Tommy Emmanuel or Andy McKee would be if they were singer-songwriters instead of instrumentalists. Amazing player and it's pretty accessible ( some of it anyway).

Neil Young - if you're a pick player you should really dive into his playing. He has a great attack and really lets loose on the dynamics on acoustic.

Awesome suggestions! I will probably try to learn a song a week or so, like a homework assignment and see where that takes me. Thank you!
Quote by vayne92
Hard kind of question to answer.. I would just say to play some more intricate acoustic songs, and play LOTS of them. If it were me I'd start looking at artists like John Butler, Tommy Emmanuel or maybe if you're after some more popular mainstream songs to jam on try learning some of Igor Presnyakov / Sungha Jung's renditions. That's the road I'd take at least..

I supposed this really is the best approach. Thanks guys!