Hi Folks

I'm owner of a Hot Rod Deluxe V2 for about 7 years and upgraded tubes already. I play from blues rock, punkrock towards stonerrock/hard rock (no hard metal required). Mainly playing and recording at home, sometimes jamming in a garage with drummer and rarely in a bar. I use a Fender Custom telecaster and a Gibson LPJ 2014 (the last one for the heavier things, drop c for stoner rock). I use the hot rod clean only and try to get my higher gain tones with few pedals (TS9, Musket Fuzz, Joyo Us Dream (lf replacement), dyna comp (and soon hopefully a clean booster and a fulltone ocd).

As i have a spare €100 i was considering putting an eminence Cannabis Rex in the HRD for smoother tone and thicker body. Any experience or better ideas ? I dont hav ethe technical experience to start doing big mods (speaker should be doable).

This situation makes me also considering a new amp , as i don't really need all the volume of the hot rod, + its sometimes little too bright, noisey (filtered out a little bit with tubes). selling the hot rod + 100 would bring me at around 550-600 price range. I like a good clean, but definitely need to get a good warm gainy tone (can be achieved with my pedals).

on the other hand switching the speaker, and get a good clean boost + OCD would cover my lower gain overdrive needs (musket fuzz has balls for the heavy parts). i dont mind buying second hand btw

whats do ya guys think ?
Last edited by LeanderTh at Nov 27, 2014,
i haven't tried the CR but it has the rep of being darker and smoother. I think the stock HRD speaker is (more or less) a legend 1258? If so, the 1258 is quite bright, so I'm guessing the CR would help in that respect. a texas heat might also work (but check with eminence and online that it'd actually sound good in there, if everyone is putting a CR in instead, maybe there's a reason for that ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?