Hey guys!

As the title mentions, I have been looking at some of those Martins. The "budget" Martins, if you could call them that. Anyways, are they any good? The DX1AE?
Agreed with Tony. Try out some 100 series Taylors. Pretty close to the price of the DX Martins and, in my opinion, a better guitar.
In my opinion, you can find "better" guitars, across the range of styles and preferences, for the price when compared to the Martin DX series.

I also have a general lack of appreciation for Martin guitars, so take that for what it's worth
My God, it's full of stars!
I think the sweet spot for Martin starts around $1600-$3k. I am less enthusiastic about the entry level ones and I think Seagull, Breedlove, and Yamaha have more to offer there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Nov 29, 2014,
Yes, the Martin DX1 is a great guitar!

I have a DX1RAE (the only distinction is that it has a rosewood neck and top, rather than spruce)- I've had it for almost three years, and I love it.

Just yesterday I played a couple of Taylors, because I've always been a Martin snob, and wanted to try something different. The six-string I played was a 320, I think, and I didn't like it as much. It definitely had a nice, crisp sound, but the action was too low for my tastes, and I found it more difficult to play. I like my Martin the best.

Since I was trying out guitars that weren't mine, hahaha...I also played a D18 for a little bit while I was in the store. That is my dream instrument. Someday, you know.

Anyway, yes- I highly recommend the DX1. I hope you get it!
i'm not a huge fan of the X series martins, but they aren't bad. on the other hand, for the same money you can get an all solid recording king, which is a quite decent martin clone.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i'm not a huge fan of the X series martins, but they aren't bad. on the other hand, for the same money you can get an all solid recording king, which is a quite decent martin clone.

The RKs also have resettable (at a price!) neck joints, which is a big plus for me. It indicates attention to detail and very long term durability.
Quote by patticake

Yes, I agree. The more I'm playing Recording Kings, the more I'm liking them. Excellent quality, great value-for-money instruments.
my husband's ROS-626 isn't just great value - it's a wonderful sounding guitar. i actually heard it across a crowded and noisy GC acoustic room and thought "wow, that's the sweetest sounding guitar in the room".
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!