Hey Everyone.

So I just picked my bass up after several years of it laying around.

Basically I picked up a bass several years ago and just learned some very basic stuff (triads, a few scales) and joined a band where I just created music. Never actually bothered to learn anyone elses music.

So this time around I'm picking it up to learn it for fun rather than from what was necessity back in the day, and with that I want to learn some songs too.

So here's where I am. Literally day 2 of practice. Learned 3 simple songs (One Arm Scissor, Teenage Kicks, Sic Transit Gloria) and I've been also trying to find a few books to show me the real fundamentals so that over time I can just improvise/write my own songs/whatever)

NB: Are there any books with tabs rather than sheet music? I've not found any 'Learn Bass' books that are, thus far!

So yeah here's my question. Lets say you are a beginner and have an hour a day to practice and you wanna get better at a) learning songs and b) the fundamentals (theory, I guess) how do you break down your practice time?

Cheers.

-sc00t
Gear:
Vintage Bass
Laney G300 Amp Head
Laney RB410 4x10" speaker
practice amp: Trace Elliot Commando 10

Fender Stratocaster (Korean model, early 1990's)
CUBE amp

Harmonica (Key: C)
I'm usually running a bit over an hour, but I'd divide it into rough 20-minute segments. I've got a couple of DVDs that run through some things I haven't done before. I spend another segment just doing exercises with a metronome. Another segment practicing songs I already know. and another segment learning a new song.

Learn to read music and *definitely* learn chords.
What kind of exercises? Scales and whatnot?

Yeah chords I do need to learn. I literally never learned chords back in the day when I was in a band (I was absolutely the weak link in that band, let me point that out lest it even need mentioning!)

Thanks mate. Good to know what other people tend to spend their time doing rather than crawling around in the dark.

-sc00t
Gear:
Vintage Bass
Laney G300 Amp Head
Laney RB410 4x10" speaker
practice amp: Trace Elliot Commando 10

Fender Stratocaster (Korean model, early 1990's)
CUBE amp

Harmonica (Key: C)