My 9 year old nephew has been watching me play guitar and he came to me and asked me if I could teach him. I have two problems. 1. I myself have only been playing for a year, I can share with him with what I know right now n hopefully it will be enough to get him kick started on it. 2. I need a recommendation on a decent guitar for someone his age just starting. I already have a battery powered amp he can practice on when he gets started. Thank you for any help
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."- Bob Marley
You imply electric, which is fine if that is what interests him. I would go for a short scale, that is 22-23", something like this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/laguna-le50-short-scale-electric-guitar

Inexpensive, hardtail and reasonably attractive.

Be sure to have it set up properly, this is more important than the guitar, IMO.
Some sort of Yamaha pacifica would probably be ideal. I wouldnt buy short scale guitars for a 9 year old, since they arent really that small anymore (i think, i cant say i deal with many 9 year olds beside my cousin, but he seemed big enough for a normal sized electric at 9). And a pacifica is a nice versatile and quality guitar, so it will probably serve him well for quite a few years. And im always up for buying a decent guitar instead of some cheap thing, since that would only discourage him from playing. If he quits you can always sell it, and you will probably loose less money than if you buy a cheap piece of crap that nobody will buy from you afterwards. Just dont get him a huge dreadnought acoustic
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
A squire strat would be good for him.teach him chrods and atuff
I would much rather look at a Yamaha Pacifica then a Squier Strat. Don't get me wrong, I love Squier's recent offerings but the Bullet and the Affinity is not as good as a Pacifica in the low end.

I second going for a full-scale guitar. It will probably be a bit big, sure, but kids grow fast and an electric really isn't that big. As long as you don't go for a Dreadnaught or a Jumbo acoustic and he'll most likely be fine.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I got my daughter an Ibanez Micro nicely put together guitar with some of the worst pickups on the planet. The short scale is easy on the smaller hands and the hardware on it is solid. If he quits take the guitar change the pickups and you can then play some crazy stuff on it.
I started playing piano when I was five or six years old. Can't get a "short scale" piano, so I sat on phone books. Where there's a will...

There are some inexpensive guitars out there: http://www.rondomusic.com/eg462mrd1.html at full scale and http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkmn34car.html at what they call 3/4 scale (24" scale, slightly downsized body). Under $100. The strat-alike and tele-ish guitars you find on this site for over $100 can actually be set up well enough and are of reasonable enough quality that people can and do use them professionally.
Age 9 brings him close to puberty and he'll grow like a weed once he reaches age 12 or 13, so I'd recommend a full-scale guitar instead of those micro ones. If you know how to look around, you'll realize that there are plenty of decent guitars out there that aren't necessarily branded.

Make sure the guitar's fretboard is smooth. I tried an Indonesian Epiphone years ago and the fretboard was so rough; even as a beginner, I found the guitar a turn-off. Instead, I got a Korean Squier Strat for around the same price but with a much smoother and more playable fretboard.

I would avoid fancy whammy bars for beginners; fixed bridges help beginners to focus on the fretting hand to learn vibrato, chords and scales, instead of dive-bombing and effects with the picking (tremolo) hand.

Why do Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend, Gary Moore and millions of bedroom guitar players the world over play till their 50s, 60s, 70s or the day they die?

Fun. It's THE most important factor for longevity. How do you inspire your nephew to have fun? Teach him his favorite song as soon as he knows a few basic chords. He can play songs using power chords too; being able to play the melody is more important than being able to play chord for chord.

Lastly, train his ear. Leave the digital tuner alone. Save tabs for really difficult songs or guitar parts. Even*after more than 20 years, I'm still having lots of fun playing, and it's largely due to being able to play almost anything I hear, on the spot.

I hope I've been of help. I wish you and your nephew all the best in your musical endeavors.