I made a patchbay for my pedalboard with 8 mono jacks, using a Hammond 1950B enclosure.
I thought I might have issues with grounding before making it, as four grounds are on one enclosure.
It's a simple jack to jack wiring, to make set-up time at gigs easier.
At low volumes, it induces an easily noticeable noise. I haven't tried it at loud volumes (but i'm guessing it'll be loads worse).

So my question is, how do I cure this?
I've looked at the possibility of a plastic (ABS) enclosure and I've found a few with close dimensions.

But that creates another issue, RF interference. How would I counteract this, without inducing noise again?

I've also came across an ABS enclosure which is shielded here:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/general-purpose-enclosures/0501553/

Could anyone see any issues with this one?
Or are there any other ways around the issue i'm having?

Cheers.
A shielded plastic box is really no different than a metal box.

Try insulating 7 of the 8 jacks from the box and running the grounds back to the one that isn't isolated. This will make a star-grounding scheme that may help. Use shielded cable, of course, if you haven't already (doing the star-grounding as I described will probably require new cable, as the shields will be much longer than the signal leads).
Last edited by Invader Jim at Nov 27, 2014,
Quote by Invader Jim
A shielded plastic box is really no different than a metal box.

Try insulating 7 of the 8 jacks from the box and running the grounds back to the one that isn't isolated. This will make a star-grounding scheme that may help. Use shielded cable, of course, if you haven't already (doing the star-grounding as I described will probably require new cable, as the shields will be much longer than the signal leads).

That's what I thought.
I'm guessing i'll need to order some plastic washers, to replace the metal ones and also wrap some PTFE or electrical tape around a small part of the jack threads, to prevent them from touching the enclosure to do this.
1/4" is the size of the hole that the plug goes into, so you need a slightly bigger diameter to fit the threaded sleeve that the jack mounts to the panel with. 3/8" ought to be perfect.
Quote by Invader Jim
1/4" is the size of the hole that the plug goes into, so you need a slightly bigger diameter to fit the threaded sleeve that the jack mounts to the panel with. 3/8" ought to be perfect.

Thanks. I'll get some ordered