I'm looking for an amp that I can keep for a few years that can play a wide variety of music that costs $150 or less. I play anywhere from softer pop rock to hard rock and metal, as well as some punk. I will mostly be playing classic rock. Clean sounds and overdriven sounds are both very important to me, but more distortion than anything. $150 is my price limit currently, but if I wait a while I could get a more expensive amp. I've been looking at the Fender Mustangs. I think Fender FUSE would be important to me, since I don't have a pedal and I don't plan on buying one. I need one that gets somewhat loud, as I do plan on gigging in the future--if it doesn't get loud enough for that, it's fine. But I want one that gets much louder than my $20 Honeytone Mini Amp which is relatively loud. This is why I'm wondering if I should wait it out and get the Mustang II over the Mustang I, but I would really hate to spend $80 more. I'm playing a Squier Affinity Strat, and I'm considering converting it into a Fat Strat (H/S/S). I would prefer a more humbucker-esque
tone for the hard rock I will play.

Bands I will play mostly: Cheap Trick, Big Star, Raspberries, The Who, Led Zeppelin, KISS, Pearl Jam, and also SOME Todd Rundgren stuff.

I'd like to know what amp I should get.
Last edited by johnherthop at Nov 27, 2014,
If your in the USA you can't beat this Line 6 Flextone for your budget. It absolutely destroys the Mustang and it is only $125
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-FLEXTONE-PLUS-1X12-109936915-i3689212.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe you should check for some used items. You can get some nice things for $150 used.
Keep an eye out for a used Peavey Classic 20.. They make a 30, 50 and 100.. But $150 won't get you there for them.. Unless you want a Solid State amp.. I can't really recommend any of them as I don't know much about them.. Except maybe a small Vox..
Laney AOR if they're that much over the water...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
used Peavey Valveking. honestly $150 won't get you much new. you can get a Peavey Vypyr new for that price and that would be my other recommendation (all contingent on your being in the US)
Quote by monwobobbo
used Peavey Valveking. honestly $150 won't get you much new. you can get a Peavey Vypyr new for that price and that would be my other recommendation (all contingent on your being in the US)

Better suggestion
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Maybe a used Cube.

Honestly any amp you buy new for $150 won't come close to filling your extensive wish list. Scrape together $300 and get a real amp that will carry you for years instead of a rock-bottom cheapie that is gonna disappoint.

Cube, Super Champ, Flextone, Vypyr are some of the best low cost amps that offer decent tone and useable onboard effects. All are $250-$350.

Flextone demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8TGAdUIcjE
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Wouturr
Maybe you should check for some used items. You can get some nice things for $150 used.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but I ended up buying a Fender Mustang III for $160 used in excellent condition! It was a steal.