Thinking about buying one of these. What's the general consensus on here...nice guitars? I know they're not USA made but still seem nice. How does the playability and sound compRe to the originals? Good bang for buck? Gigable?

I'm currently playing with a Marshall DSL40c and Ampeg triax tv-60 (probably getting a Blackstar in the near future)
Last edited by Mole351 at Nov 27, 2014,
Great guitars for the money used.

But when buying new I'd always look to try and find a used CE22/24.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah they are a good value used $250-$350 typically
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Excellent guitars from one of the best factories in East Asia, if not the world. Some people find the electronics unimpressive, but that’s easy to fix.
I paid $550 new w/gig bag for my SE 245 and it's worth every penny. Especially considering an Epi Standard is 599 new here with a cardboard box.
Solid mahogany body (1 piece I believe)
1 piece mahogany neck with long neck tenon!
Solid Maple cap with veneer flame maple.
Hardware is fine.
Lacquer not poly finish.
The PUs are modern and unstellar but that's my only observation.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Nov 27, 2014,
Quote by KenG
I paid $550 new w/gig bag for my SE 245…
Lacquer not poly finish…

That’s an acrylic urethane finish, not lacquer.
When i got mine i tried out an SE,an S2 and a US made PRS.The US was f'king amazing but i could'nt justify paying the price so it was between the SE and the S2.The SE's playability was no different from either the S2 or the US so i went for the SE,When playing them i could'nt find a reason to get the S2 over the SE.
After a while of playing my SE though at home i was'nt to impressed with the puckups,They lacked clarity imo so i changed them,It also had tuning issues with the trem so i blocked it and got some Grover locking machines.Also sanded the neck.Now it is an awesome guitar,Excellent for the price,Really nice to play!
Last edited by EyeballPaul at Nov 29, 2014,
^ the S2 is deff a better guitar than the SE, but I do think they are a bit overpriced. If they were $1000 Vs $1300 I think they would sell better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sweetwater is blowing out SE 245's for $348 and SE Custom 24's I believe for $398. Alot of guitar for those prices.
Quote by miketar
Sweetwater is blowing out SE 245's for $348 and SE Custom 24's I believe for $398. Alot of guitar for those prices.

$348 is a ridiculous price, the cheapest price i can find online in europe is the equivalent of $860. why can't we come up with some random reason for a thursday holiday?
Thats an amazing price for that guitar. The only bad thing ive heard was that the tuners kinda suck but for this price upgrade to locking tuners. That blue and tobacco burst ones look amazing!!
Every time Ive played PRS SE guitars at guitarcenter they have always felt and sounded great. Ive wanted to just buy them on the spot, but i already have a bunch of guitars as it is. I love the davr navarro and sanata signatures, but i hate that theyre signature guitars haha. The SE series are awesome
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Going to GC now and if I like either going to grab one through sweetwater. Looking at the custom 24 as I already have a les paul so looking for something a little different
They are excellent guitars. Everyone I've touched has played themselves with how they feel. I have a Tremonti SE I upgraded the pickups to the USA Tremonti set and it is still the clearest sounding guitar I've owned (which is a lot of $800+ guitars). Throw some straplocks on them and they're good to go. If you want to go the extra mile like I did and upgrade the cosmetics they'll end up looking really close to the USA models besides how the top is carved. The guy who recorded/produced my band's EP has the American big brother to mine and besides a small difference in the neck shape they both have a solid quality feel to them.

$450 +$200 for the USA pickups (optional)...I'd say I found a heck of a deal.
Quote by Mole351
Thinking about buying one of these. What's the general consensus on here...nice guitars? I know they're not USA made but still seem nice.

Yes, they are really nice guitars.

Quote by Mole351
How does the playability and sound compRe to the originals?

The neck profiles have slight differences, but their playability is fantastic to me.
Keep in mind that SE Singlecuts have wide fat necks and SE Customs have wide thin necks, they feel and play very differently. I love both anyway.

Soundwise, they're not as good as a PRS with the high-grade pickups, but the SE pickups still sound awesome.

Quote by Mole351
Good bang for buck?

Yes. They're among the best guitars in their price range, IMHO.

Quote by Mole351
Gigable?

Absolutely. I've been gigging my Singlecut for 5 years now, without any problems.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have owned a PRS SE Custom 24 for about a year now and I have gigged with it. Really nice guitars, nothing to complain about really.

For us Europeans however, they are much more expensive, and they don't stand out as the obvious choice in their pricerange. Here, PRS SE is competing with the Ibanez Premium-series among other.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by jecooper86
$348 is a ridiculous price, the cheapest price i can find online in europe is the equivalent of $860. why can't we come up with some random reason for a thursday holiday?

Because Europe sucks.........
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just place an order for the custom 24 sapphire blue. Stoked!

Side note - funny - they show you the exact guitar you're getting and I didn't like the wood pattern on the first few I saw...but noticed every time I'd go back they would keep showing me the same serial numbers. Also figured out if I logged on in one instance that serial number would be held and a new one offered in the new instance. So had 5 simultaneous instances going, holding 5 different guitars/serial numbers for the one color until I got a pattern i liked - pretty comical
Congratulations, you just got a very nice guitar for a great price. GC probably would have price matched if they had one in stock. Enjoy.
that's a lot of guitar for under $400. congrats!

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Mole351
Just place an order for the custom 24 sapphire blue. Stoked!

Side note - funny - they show you the exact guitar you're getting and I didn't like the wood pattern on the first few I saw...but noticed every time I'd go back they would keep showing me the same serial numbers. Also figured out if I logged on in one instance that serial number would be held and a new one offered in the new instance. So had 5 simultaneous instances going, holding 5 different guitars/serial numbers for the one color until I got a pattern i liked - pretty comical

I got one too. Also sapphire. $398 grand total and it will arrive at my door this Tuesday. An amazing deal if you ask me.
I picked up one from Sweetwater as well; also in sapphire. It's arriving today and I'll post back soon to give my opinion. $398 and free shipping = sweeeeet! I almost bought one earlier for $700 on sale. At that price, it won't bother me if it needs new pickups and locking tuners or not.
Yeah, I was fully prepared to pay $719 for it (eventually) since it was the exact guitar I've had my eye on for a year. So I couldn't pass up $398. And Sweetwater's service was SUPERB!
Quote by strat-O-matic92
If you guys did upgrade the pickups,what would put in?

It really depends on what sound you're after. I'm want PAF style so mine are either getting DiMArzio 36th Ann PAFs or Gibson BB1 & BB2 from my R7 if it get's the 36th Models.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Dec 10, 2014,