I was initially thinking about getting a Peavey Vicious 7 string baritone guitar (with a scale of 28") in order to reach tunings such as open G (GCGCGCE) or F# standard, without it sounding like crap, but I found that the ESP Horizon NT7 baritone is cheaper and easier to get, plus I really like the playability of the Horizon series.
However, its scale is 27". Would I still be able to reach those tunings without the strings being too floppy? And if so, what string gauges would feel comfortable? (knowing that I usually play on 009s if tuned in standard)
Thanks in advance!
Depends on the gauge. I met a fella who put a very short scale guitar in B by means of .17 gauge strings. For f# standard on a fairly long scale you'll probably want .13s with heavy bottoms, but even then you might need 14s. You'll need the thickness to get a decent tone that doesn't sound like a fart: the number one problem 8 string players have with a flubby F#.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
With a set of D’Addario you could probably hit G. Not sure about F#; that might require drilling out the sixth tuner and using some crazy custom string set.
So the difference in scale (27" instead of 28") could easily be compensated by using thicker gauges?
If you do it hire someone with experience. The strings are gounna be like barbed wire unless you don't mind loose strings
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger