Can the Engl powerball II be used to power the Axe-Fx II? How do I go about doing this? I don't own an Axe-Fx II yet but am playing on buying one around February.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So let me get this straight - you have the Engl and you'd rather forego that to use Axe-fx, or you want to use Axe-fx to add effects to the tone?

First is basically pluggingthe Axe into the fx return of the amp, thus bypassing all that expensive tube goodness that you paid for in the Powerball.

Second one would be using 4 cable method to wrap the Axe around the amp, so you can line up effects before the preamp and after the preamp. Just look up 4 cable method for adding digital processor to amp.
Last edited by diabolical at Nov 28, 2014,
First, WHY are you buying an Axe-FX II?

If you're feeding it into an Engl, you're eliminating two of the reasons to buy the Axe-FX in the first place (the amp and cabs simulations). You're going to be left with it as a very expensive FX organizer, and I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense.
There are two reasons for myself purchasing an axefx to be used with the engl

1. Setting and saving tones while switching between said tones is easier.
2. I am trying to get as close to Jason richardsons tone as possible. He uses a powerball I with an organge cab and axe fx. I figured that the best place to start is to mimic his rig.

Maybe I just sound like an idiot. Would it be better to trade in the powerball for a power amp?
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by amonamarthmetal
There are two reasons for myself purchasing an axefx to be used with the engl

1. Setting and saving tones while switching between said tones is easier.
2. I am trying to get as close to Jason richardsons tone as possible. He uses a powerball I with an organge cab and axe fx. I figured that the best place to start is to mimic his rig.

Maybe I just sound like an idiot. Would it be better to trade in the powerball for a power amp?

Pretty sure if you run an Axe FX into a head and than into a cabinet, you just use to power section of the head, so it basically will be a power amp. Personally if you're going to be the Axe FX anyway than I'd keep the powerball around as an amp for when you're not trying to match Jason's tone (because the powerball is an incredible amp head)
You'll have to find out what he's using each for. My guess is that he got the sweet endorsement $$$ from both and is just chaining crap together like Dave Mustaine did, so he can get preamp, fx, amp endorsements.

I'd keep the powerball and try to find my own sound, but that's just me.

These days the magic buzzword seems to be Axe-fx, just as when I was younger it was Rocktron Prophecy and before that was something else, whatever the DigiTech rackmount unit was at the time. They all cost your left nut and are gone in a few years, while the good old USA and UK made amps go up in price.