I am a former acoustic player for 12 years and plan to buy a Fender Deluxe Lonestar Strat at the end of the year. I have looked at a lot of potential places to purchase it from. I know that I want the Ocean Turquoise color. I found a company online that inspects all guitars and equipment before shipping and I'm thinking about going with them.

They have 4 different serial numbers for the same Ocean Turquoise color.

MX14516847 - 8lbs 10oz
MX14502726 - 8 lbs 2 oz
MX14525025 - 8 lbs 2 oz
MX14525020 - 8 lbs.

I'm curious about this. They're all the same guitar. Unless they used different cameras, it looks like they each have a varying degree of color, too. Some look a little lighter and some look a little darker. Some look like they have a more shiny finish, too. Unless it is just the angles/camera. Obviously, the weights vary per serial number, too. Why would this be? Even if made in different years...I don't understand why the weights would be different.

In this case, which is "better"? It is my understanding that these were discontinued from production years ago. Is newer better or how should I go about determining which model is better?
Every guitar usually has some differences even in the same model
in terms of weight and feel, my two EP Deans are totally different
to each other in terms of weight and feel and they're six months to
a year apart in terms of production. Even the two neck profiles are
ever so slightly different too!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Implying that the guitar's weight is in relation to its serial number is like saying that the quality of the guitars pots determines how thick the finish is. It's nonsense.

The reason they all weigh slightly different is because wood is naturally an inconsistent material. Two pieces of wood of the same size and species usually have variations in weight. It's nothing unusual whatsoever. And there's no strict rule dictating how much a guitar should weigh.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 28, 2014,
Many companies that ship guitars will have to weigh them, because shipping costs are usually calculated by weight, there's nothing particularly odd about that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It is completely normal and means nothing. Like said wood is not something that grows the exact same so there will ne slight variations.

The color looks varied because the lighting angle is not 100% the same. In person it will look the same.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Implying that the guitar's weight is in relation to its serial number is like saying that the quality of the guitars pots determines how thick the finish is. It's nonsense.

The reason they all weigh slightly different is because wood is naturally an inconsistent material. Two pieces of wood of the same size and species usually have variations in weight.

All what I wanted to say.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Differing weights can usually be traced to variations in the density of the wood used.

Different colors can usually be ascribed to differences in the photography (pull up ten photographs of yourself and check out the variations in skin tone that they display).

If the finish is nitrocellulose lacquer however, you need to know that finish yellows, fades, cracks, checks, flakes, "chalks up", etc. as it deteriorates. And that it will do that to varying degrees (there's no set timetable). Guitars that have a blue base coat with a nitrocellulose lacquer clear coat will eventually end up looking like green guitars, except where the lacquer gets worn through, and then the base coat will show through. You should be able to find images of that happening on Google.
The bigger numbers in the serial # weigh more. An 8 weighs more than a 7, a 6 more than a 5, etc. So if you look at your list, you can see the pattern:

MX14516847 - 8lbs 10oz
MX14502726 - 8 lbs 2 oz
MX14525025 - 8 lbs 2 oz
MX14525020 - 8 lbs.

JUST KIDDING!
Yeah, it doesn't matter. It's just because wood is a natural material, not man-made. It varies. And the serial number has absolutely nothing to do with it, in any way. As unrelated as any two things can possibly be.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I get the feeling he didn't mean to imply that the serial number is connected with weight, and worded the post like that to make it clear that he was referring to different examples of the same model of guitar.

But yeah, wood varies, and with mass produced guitars there's almost no quality control with regards to the weight of the wood so the differences can end up being pretty extreme in some cases, but even with guitars that are made in small quantities where the manufacturer can select lighter or heavier pieces of wood there's still going to be some variation.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
some people prefer a heavier or lighter guitar. the company is just giving you the weight of a specific guitar by associating the weight with the serial number. just another tool so people can order a guitar over the net that they will be happier with. the weight isn't part of the serial number.