Hi all!

Lately I've been thinking a lot about doing some YouTube Reviews. Reviews of Effect pedals, Guitars, Amp and other stuff. There're a couple of things I'm not sure of though, and therefore I hope you can help me!

1. I've read that for pedals like Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz, and Boost, you'll have to place them in front of the amp, with the amp mic'd up. Because these pedals are made to push the amp, and by doing so in Cubase, through an interface, wouldn't give the same result. Am I right here?
2. With pedals like Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay and Reverb it doesn't matter, right? You could do that through an interface, and just go with an amp model from Cubase?
3. I know that good mics does a whole lot for the sound quality, so, can any one recommend one or two good mics?? I've seen a lot of YouTubers use Shure SM57 and Senheisers.
4. Would it be good to have two (2) mics on the amp? If so, where would be the best place to set them up??

Thanks, I hope you van help me!

Cheers!
Well, you've just given me the idea to record a video showing the effect of stompbox placement, so thanks for that, but I'll explain here in case the video takes ages

1. Correct. Putting a distortion/drive/boost/fuzz etc. here tends to sound buzzy and unpleasant, but I'm sure someone could come up with a use for such a sound.

2. Kind of correct. It makes a huge difference to the sound, but both options have purposes. If you had it guitar>pedal>interface>amp sim it would be the same as putting the effect in front of the amp.You can't really put it after the amp sim unless you use a plugin effect rather than a pedal.

Here's an example of a delay in the front and the loop of an amp (1. clean, 2. front, 3. loop. The front delay sounds very reggae/dubby but makes it messy. In the loop, the original guitar comes through more but the delay is less pronounced.)

3. A good standby is the Shure SM57. It's affordable, sounds good and has been used on guitar amps for decades. If even that's too expensive, Shure make an affordable variant; the PG57. I've tested it and it's very close to the SM.
The only downside to a Dynamic mic like the '57 is that you have to be pretty loud if you want the signal at the other end to be louder than a whispering rodent, so a powered condenser like the Rode NT1-A is a good alternative.
The only downside to that is that you would need a mic preamp capable of supplying 48v Phantom Power.
If on a budget, the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 is a great value interface for that.

4. That's your call. If you want the ability to blend different mics and positions, you can do that, but if you're fine with just one, that's fine too. Here's a good video showing the differences between a variety of positions

Hope I've been of assistance in some way!