Hello friends.

Last May we posted a in regarding a possible app my and my friend was thinking of building. This was certainly not a scam.
We received lots of feedback. Before that, we weren't sure whether we should develop it or not, but after reading the comments we decided to go for it. The technological problem that we tried to solve, polyphonic guitar transcription, was a tough one. As enthusiastic digital signal processing students, we believed we could crack it. We struggled through 6 months of intensive R&D and academic duties, and achieved only a partial, non-satisfactory result.

We ran out of time and money. We sought funding, but mostly we were told that our business prospects weren’t big enough to justify it. Because we weren’t fully satisfied with the app, we weren’t sure whether we should publish it. But we promised we would, so we’re releasing what we have completed so far.

You are welcome to .
We appreciate any feedback or support. This will encourage us to keep improving the app.

Regards,
Guy & Michael
support@tabify.info
Is the app supposed to be able to listen to a song, isolate the guitar from the mix, and then tab the guitar parts? If so, I dont know if thats even possible. Especially since most songs have at least two guitars, one left and right. And then the whole polyphonic issue, as you mentioned, is another huge hurdle.

Or is the app supposed to just be able to tab the stuff that you play on your own guitar? So if youre sitting there just jamming out alone, everything you play will be tabbed when youre done? Then you only have the polyphonic issue as you mentioned.

If youre pursuing the latter, maybe you would have to develop a special pickup that can be slapped onto the guitar easily, and has individual receivers/magnets per string, so the signal could be split up. Dont the variax guitars do something like that? And then an adapter to plug it into your phone.

Idk thats all i have to offer. In general, your concept is cool and would be great if it worked.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

It actually works reasonably well. The difficulty arises with chords and the fact that you can play one note in multiple positions. The app seems to default to the highest string to play a note. Quite impressive what you have managed to do so far though.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Edison/fl studio has had something similar for years, it takes sound/music and turns it into midi.
I believe this is probably posible, but for full songs I think it'd catch some noise off other instruments/vocals.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 28, 2014,
That sounds impossible to me because of the possibility of the same pitch on multiple strings. I mean, with sophisticated enough AI you could theoretically have the program pick the best placement for notes based on shape/position, but I doubt we have any tech that advanced at the consumer level, let alone one small enough to fit within an app.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Nifty, but you know what'd be cooler? An app that if you input the key you're working in and it'll write out musical notation by ear. I'd buy that in a second.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I will be trying it later and I will tell you guys what I think of it stay tuned sub4sub fav/retweet tell your friends
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by Watterboy
Is the app supposed to be able to listen to a song, isolate the guitar from the mix, and then tab the guitar parts? If so, I dont know if thats even possible. Especially since most songs have at least two guitars, one left and right. And then the whole polyphonic issue, as you mentioned, is another huge hurdle.

I think you have him confused with someone else. I know that somebody posted about a thread with a similar project that was meant to isolate instruments from a sound file and notate it, such that it could identify pitches and chords even with the vocals, the percussion and the what-have-yous.

I did the same thing clicking this thread, but as far as I can tell, OP is only trying to achieve the part you identified as the "latter" in your post.

If so, the demo seems to suggest it works all right, and this is a useful idea, so I'll give it a go some time this week.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by necrosis1193
Nifty, but you know what'd be cooler? An app that if you input the key you're working in and it'll write out musical notation by ear. I'd buy that in a second.

This would be of far greater use to me and would make me pay more
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Well I DO think it is possible, beacuse I am working on similiar project for my bachelors thesis Fourier transform is the key, but I don't know if it will work in "LIVE" ... analysing the MP3 a then transcribing is much more easier for the recognisition of notes, because of the constantly background noise.

But .... For the record I Am not that guy
(And sorry for my bad english, i am from Czech Rep.)
Quote by Pastafarian96
This would be of far greater use to me and would make me pay more

Same thing for me.
Thanks for the great comments guys.
We are still trying to get a critical mass of downloads because only 100+ people installed it by now, which is surely not enough to get any community response.

If you have any friends or any other community you are involved in, please spread the word.

You can contact us at:
tabifyapp@gmail.com

Thanks guys!
I gave it a go and it doesn't really work that well. Of course, what I expected would have been a very impressive task to say the least, so I'm not having a go, it just didn't work all that well.
Free Ali
Free Lard