Hy,
I've been trying to improve my playing speed for several months. I'm talking about alternatie picking. At first it went wel. I went from 16ths at 70bpm to 75, 80 to 85. Now (after maybe two or three monts) i can't seem to break the barrier of 85/90bpm. It seems tot be too fast for both right and left hand.
I've been training this mainly with minor pentatonic scale. So i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other exercises with the same goal? Any experiences anyone would like tot schare?
Have you practised the right skills in order for the job?

It seems to me you did not practise the ex enough to where they sit firmly in your subconscious part of your mind. That's where it becames natural without thinking like a habit and good practise habits to great/amazing should be your goal so take your time to get them down.

Cross string picking? How good are you at single string picking? Or legato? If you don't master the legato then single string you will find cross picking to be difficult like you are having right now. You will need the right skills in order to pull if of. It did for me!

As for the right skills go for Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina and get serious from ex 1 and forward as you get it down.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Nov 28, 2014,
Yeah it sounds like you've got a bit of a case of tunnel vision - rather than getting bogged down on one thing you'd be far better off focussing on improving your alternate picking across the board. Look at all the stuff you can already play and ask yourself "Can I improve on that?", the answer will usually be yes. Focus on minimising your movements, keeping things efficient and gettign your hands working together in perfect sync.

The problem is likely to be that you've been trying to play faster which won't work. What you need to focus on is playing better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn a fast solo/song that you like. Also keep practicing a few simple scale sequences.

Get the solo up to speed. Work on that solo/song.

Don't spend all your time playing 1-2-3-4.
Hang on, you said your training this with the minor pentatonic scale!!! How are you doing that? Are you doing 2 notes per string!!!
If you are, I would advice you to learn the proper minor scale with all the 7 notes. This is because with the minor scale you can get 3 notes per string which will feel more natural because 2 notes per string is harder as it requires you to skip a string before moving on to the next string. 4 notes per string is even easier for your picking hand as every time you change string, your pick will always be going in the same direction. But I wouldn't recommend this for now as 4 notes scale runs require decent stretches.
Yes I agree with the other guy here, you need to have decent legato skills and also be able to tremolo pick. Tremolo picking is just going up and down and up and down on one string. Practice that with the bottom E string it will be easier. That shouldn't be too hard, and probably after a week you will prob be able to tremolo pick at 150bpm or faster!
legato will take longer if you haven't already practiced it well.
For legato practice 3 notes a string as well, use 7 note scales not any less, pentatonic scale runs again require really big stretches, and is very hard as every time you go down a string, your hand needs to move up to pick the next note of the scale other wise you will be picking 2 notes twice which sounds awful most times.
Good luck and don't get frustrated, everything takes time, and practice properly, and remember to mute so you sound clean, and remember you can't play fast what you can't play slow.
Last edited by inchindar at Dec 4, 2014,
Quote by verstraetem93
Hy,
I've been trying to improve my playing speed for several months. I'm talking about alternatie picking. At first it went wel. I went from 16ths at 70bpm to 75, 80 to 85. Now (after maybe two or three monts) i can't seem to break the barrier of 85/90bpm. It seems tot be too fast for both right and left hand.
I've been training this mainly with minor pentatonic scale. So i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other exercises with the same goal? Any experiences anyone would like tot schare?

Play the G string alternate picking it, 4 notes per beat (16th).

Tell me when you reach the maximum speed you CAN play without error.
If you feel you are tensing up too much or you are doing any mistakes, that's not your maximum speed. (Or potential picking speed).
You will not be able to play faster than that in 16th notes using alternate picking.

Let me know