quick question for those with ESP matt finish guitars (or other brands as well probably).

I really dig the look of the matt finish on a ltd ec-1000 model but one shop online had a big warning about how the matt finish will mark really easily and may not even arrive pristine. So basically just had three questions about the durability of that type of finish:

1. Does the finish really mark and scratch that easily or are they just covering their arse?
2. How has your guitar worn over time? does it wear in a cool 'relic' style or look a bit shabby?
3. do you regret buying matt over gloss?

cheers!
I'm not a fan of matte finishes.

1. It really does mark and scratch that easily. And while you can polish a scratch out of a glossy finish, how do you polish a scratch out of a matte finish and have the area match?

2. Matte finishes develop shiny spots over time, oddly enough. Think of an old car from the '50's with both matte and shiny spots on its finish. If you like that look, you'll like that guitar. If you don't like that look, you won't. I don't. YMMV, de gustibus est non disputandum and all that.

3. I would never buy a matte finish over gloss. Ever. It's a current fashion statement, however, so it's your deal. I'm not fond of beater 1995 Honda Civics painted flat black, either. Heck, BMW has a matte gold-ish finish that runs several thousand MORE than their standard finishes, and a friend of mine has it on his 6-series. He SO regrets doing that and I think he's either going to trade it in or repaint it.

Oh, and "matte" is spelled with the final "e".
I don't like matte finishes and I'd only have a matte finish for the back of a neck.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I have a non-ESP guitar with a matte finish, the only finish available for that guitar.

It is more delicate than a poly coat, but while it will show wear, it will probably protect better and longer than an old nitro finish. Mine has yet to show any serious glossy spots, bu I know they will come with time. This doesn't bug me, since I like the guitar.

HOWEVER, if given an option, I would probably not choose a matte finish over a glossy one, when both are available on the same guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
My LTD that I had in Matte black rubbed shiny very quickly, but it didn't stop it being a killer guitar.

It doesn't affect how they play, as to how it looks is a personal thing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't like matte finishes and I'd only have a matte finish for the back of a neck.

It's totally useless on the back of a neck too. I had it on three Fenders. Had it. They're now all very shiny. Totally useless feature.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
It's totally useless on the back of a neck too. I had it on three Fenders. Had it. They're now all very shiny. Totally useless feature.

Not really, you can just re-satin it.

It's a feature I kind of like stock on the guitar because it saves me from needing to do it myself.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 29, 2014,
Quote by HomerSGR

Honestly, I'm just fine with a glossy finish for two reasons:

One, I don't have high action on most of my guitars, don't use the "meat" of my palm on the back of the neck all that much and my thumb really doesn't stick all that much

Two, over time even the glossy finish necks develop "micro-scratches" that speed up the neck and eliminate the sticking (it seems to be the same thing that geckos use to stick to a ceiling <G>.

That said, starting with a satin finish (I've got a Variax JTV-89F that has a polysomethingorother satin finish neck) doesn't hurt at all.
thanks for the comments everyone, i'd never really considered that matte wears to shiny, i can see that can spoil the look somewhat. will keep that in mind for the future
Personally, I love the look. Especially a matte finish over a flame or quilted top. ****ing gorgeous. But yeah, it'll most certainly wear and get shiny over time. Might last longer depending on how gentle you are with your guitar, but it will happen.