Ok so I recently placed a Fender hot rod deluxe 40 watt (8 ohm) and a marshall 1960b cab(4,16 or 8 ohm stereo) into layaway and will probably have it in January sometime.
I am currently playing a marshall Tsl60 watt head(4,6,8 optional ohm) into a 1960ax cab(16 ohms mono)
Here is where it gets interesting
I am wondering if I will be able to run my TSL head (set to 8 ohms)first into the 16 ohm cab, then the second out put going into one half of the stereo 1960b cab(8 ohms) then have the second output from the Fender combo going into the other half of the stereo input of my b cab?
It sounds complicated and my experience running multiple amps into one cab tells me that somewhere in this mix it won't work properly and start popping but I am still not that great at multiple amp set ups like this
Any thoughts?
As long as you verify the correct speaker load in ohms it will work but why would anyone want to engage this science experiment? Tonal nirvana? I suspect it will not be "all that".
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm funny like that I guess 😜 ,for a while I had 3 half stacks wired together with A/b/y boxes and and stereo chorus pedals. It was complete madness and I never got it dialed in the way I wanted
So I to answer you question why?
Because I can hahahahaha!
No but seriously that is why I'm asking
To review 8 ohm combo bein sit between its own speaker and half of a marshall 1960b cab set to 8 ohms and the other half going to a tsl set to 8 ohms that is also pushing a 2nd 16 watt 4x12
Does this compute?
Yep. If you let the smoke out you missed something.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Quote by vegetaof9
I am wondering if I will be able to run my TSL head (set to 8 ohms)first into the 16 ohm cab, then the second out put going into one half of the stereo 1960b cab(8 ohms) then have the second output from the Fender combo going into the other half of the stereo input of my b cab?

you won't be running optimal impedances, but you can do all of that without too much concern.

you should run the TSL head at 8 ohms and run two 16 ohm cabinets with it, rather than a 16 and an 8 ohm. the TSL would be running at

1/Rtot = 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/16 + 2/16 = 3/16

Rtot = 16/3 = 5.333 ohms

so the amp would be seeing about 5 ohms. not an optimal match but it shouldn't blow anything out.

the fender hot rod should run an 8 ohm native speaker (according to the manual). if you plug into the aux speaker jack then the amp runs at 4 ohms. so running the fender as you have listed would be just fine.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Cajundaddy
Yep. If you let the smoke out you missed something.

I'm voting that he have the GoPro running the first time he tries this, whaddya think?
Ok, my TSL already has a few issues and it sounds like it would be a little flaky to run an oddball impededence so I will just rock the stack, when I'm feeling Marshall and rock the Combo when I'm feeling Fender
Thanks for setting it straight for me
Quote by vegetaof9
Ok, my TSL already has a few issues and it sounds like it would be a little flaky to run an oddball impededence so I will just rock the stack, when I'm feeling Marshall and rock the Combo when I'm feeling Fender
Thanks for setting it straight for me

Good call. The risk/reward ratio was about 100/1. I sorta favor a 1/4 ratio for science experiments that might involve the fire dept.

What gumbi said, switch the TSL to 4 ohms. It may not do what you hope though. The two speakers in the 1960B will be receiving 2/3 of the total power. It may balance out ok, (double the power, half the speakers) but it's sub-optimal. Worth a try though.

And what's wrong with oddball impedances? As long as it's close enough, it's close enough. I ran a 10 ohm 3/4 stack for years. You're all pussies with no imagination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 28, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
And what's wrong with oddball impedances? As long as it's close enough, it's close enough. I ran a 10 ohm 3/4 stack for years. You're all pussies with no imagination.

agreed. i am not too concerned about a small mismatch, i had a 6 ohm 6x10 cab for a while. no big deal, especially when you look at impedance curves for speakers

i believe that is for an 8 ohm eminence wizard, as you can see you are going to be seeing some impedances that are going to be quite different from the nominal 8 ohm rating.

i don't try to do mismatches, and i don't do any big mismatches, but if it is within a couple ohms then i am not overly concerned about things. it is really up to the person running the equipment though, they should at least be aware of the mismatch and then they can decide for themselves.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae