Hi, I'm not exactly a beginner, as I've been playing guitar for years. I play lead guitar in a heavy metal band, and occasionally pick up the bass when we're screwing around. I have decided I'd like to play bass as well. Here are some of the things I'd like:

-I'd like to avoid squires, because if I decide I don't want to continue playing bass, I can get a decent amount of money back.

-I'd like something used, because I know, like with guitars, you tend to get a better price:value ratio- The used guitars that I've purchased have turned out to be better than the new ones I've purchased, compared to the price payed.

-I NEED tight string spacing- as a guitarist, when I pick up a bass with wide string spacing, I am unable to fret it properly.

-I played a one of these earlier today, and liked the string spacing, so anything close in comparison I'd like.

-I'd like to spend under $200, and I'm comfortable doing work to get it playing properly. I know how to do guitar set ups, fret leveling, pickup installation, etc, and I imagine it's not much different when working on a bass.

What would you guys recommend?
Last edited by guitar42697 at Nov 28, 2014,
Squire Vintage Modified jazz bass
Your aversion to Squires is justified, however the basses are not like the guitars, and the Vintage Modified series are excellent. The nut width on the bass you linked to is 1.6, and the Squire VM Jazz has a 1.5, so Im sure the string spacing is going to suit your needs. As for resale value, you can pick up a used VM Jazz and sell it a year later for the same price.

You might have to look around for a bit to find one in your price range, but it can be done.

Otherwise just look for an ibanez. Any used ibanez within your budget is going to be a decent bass as long as its in good shape.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
Squire Vintage Modified jazz bass
Your aversion to Squires is justified, however the basses are not like the guitars, and the Vintage Modified series are excellent. The nut width on the bass you linked to is 1.6, and the Squire VM Jazz has a 1.5, so Im sure the string spacing is going to suit your needs. As for resale value, you can pick up a used VM Jazz and sell it a year later for the same price.

You might have to look around for a bit to find one in your price range, but it can be done.

Otherwise just look for an ibanez. Any used ibanez within your budget is going to be a decent bass as long as its in good shape.

I'm digging the more expensive VM Jazz bass, the one with the block inlays. I'm definitely going to take that into consideration.

Are the low-mid range LTD basses any good? I've got an LTD guitar, and their guitars are excellent for the money
Quote by guitar42697
I'm digging the more expensive VM Jazz bass, the one with the block inlays. I'm definitely going to take that into consideration.

Are the low-mid range LTD basses any good? I've got an LTD guitar, and their guitars are excellent for the money

I used to play an LTD 6 string bass and it was pretty good. I'm not sure about the low end ones though. I would say that they would be okay, but not great.

+1 to the above^
I've only been playing bass for a few years, I'm a guitarist at heart. I don't have a whole lot of reccomendations. I have always been impressed by Fender and Squier basses. I don't reccomend getting am expensive one right off of the bat. Id go to your favorite guitar store and play around in the $200-$300 range. I can't even remember the name of the brand on mine, Regency I think (not home right now haha) but it slaps and is easy to play, sounds good through am amp. Who cares about brand names. My fav guitarist, Marty Friedman, became famous playing on budget guitars, so I'd say just have fun playing whatever you can get your hands on
I can give alittle insight to your problem as im a lead guitarist in a metal band too but wanted to try the bass. Id recommend either an Ibanez or a dean 5 string bass. I used to own a Dean edge 1 5 string bass and it was easy for me to pick up and play and its also on $250 or $200 used so you wont break the bank a can have a decent resale value.
Last edited by musicisart3311 at Nov 28, 2014,
If you tell me where you're located I might look around in your area's craigslist and pick some good looking options out for you.

Free of charge
Quote by c3powil
If you tell me where you're located I might look around in your area's craigslist and pick some good looking options out for you.

Free of charge

I'm in the NYC area. I was actually looking around on Craigslist recently for my bassist, as he was in need of a decent, cheep bass (found him an epi thunderbird silverburst) but a saw a good amount of nice basses that were reasonably priced. I saw one of those fender PJ specials without the pickguard... Think it was around $300. Saw a Fender P bass Ltd edition (natural with black pickguard, I think the thing that made it Ltd was the pickup, but don't quote me on that) for $275 ish. All of them appeared to be in good condition
Another thing: I don't mind buying something made by a brand not many people have heard of. I own an old samick from the mid 80s, so, I don't mind buying an old hondo, samick, or any other inconspicuous brand, so long as it hasn't been beaten to hell. I prefer to keep my guitars in relatively good condition.
As you're in the States, an old USA Peavey like a Fury or T40 would be a solid starter. Actually, even the modern Chinese Peavey's are decent, like the Milestone or Millennium (I have a millennium, which still gets used a lot even though I also own "higher end" basses).
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
I did what you're doing, but about two years ago. I walked into GC and pulled this off the used wall, and walked out with it (with a gig bag) for around $100. Excellent action, perfect condition, both Precision and Jazz pickups and if I walk into church with it, it makes the old people cackle.

And yes, it's a Squier, and it works just great. I've added a 5-string Carvin LB75, but that doesn't mean the Squier gets any less work. Nice piece!
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/4741189572.html

Great price on a cool bass if you think you can handle a 5 string

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/4728640949.html

This is a great starter bass. Those old peavey basses are built like tanks.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/4776574615.html

As a beginner, you cant go wrong with these ibanez models.
Quote by c3powil

Great price on a cool bass if you think you can handle a 5 string

The good news with a 5-string is that you can use the fifth string as a thumb rest and just play the usual four for most of what you're doing, and gradually incorporate the fifth string where appropriate.
Quote by dspellman
The good news with a 5-string is that you can use the fifth string as a thumb rest and just play the usual four for most of what you're doing, and gradually incorporate the fifth string where appropriate.

Yea, but its tricky learning slap because you have to train your thumb to be more accurate when slapping the E string.
Quote by c3powil
Yea, but its tricky learning slap because you have to train your thumb to be more accurate when slapping the E string.

I don't think I'd mind that, as a) I'm avoiding those cheap beginner basses (low end squire p and j basses, etc) because I'd like a bass that plays reasonably well, and as the bassist in my band has one of those squire P basses from the starter kit, I know they're horrendous to play. But one challenge won't kill it for me, as long as it plays well with minimal adjustments (minimal meaning a trust rod adjustment and action/intonation adjustment will get it playable and not a complete pain to do so) and b) The bassist in my band has only got two 4 string basses, no 5 or 6 strings. He wrote something for one of our songs, which we have agreed we like, but he needs a 5 string to be able to play it. So me getting a 5 string would resolve that issue. Maybe the Squire VM Jazz v would be a good choice- those seem to be more popular, thus meaning I've seen more on the used market compared to the 4 string model
The VM Jazz 5 string is a great bass
Alright, so I've decided to go with a Peavey Fury I found in the used section on Guitar Center's website. White with black pick guard, comes with case. Waiting for it to be shipped to my local guitar center. It's listed as being in "excellent condition" which, according to guitar center means:
"Excellent
Item is functional and playable, could include original case/box, case candy & manuals. This item has minor scratches if any, looks new and has been used in a smoke free studio environment. All surfaces are clean and free from blemishes & scratches. LCD screens are evenly lit, jacks, connectors, keys knobs and sliders function flawlessly.
"
I payed $USD150 for it.
Sounds like a good shout to me. Peavey + PBass = indestructible. Make sure you try it out first, just in case. In my experience, guitar shops don;t mind holding onto something for a customer so they can try it out in the shop. IIRC some, if not all, were MIA? Find out when you try it out but don't tell the shop, they might boost the price a li'l.

Also bear in mind that it will have a very chunky neck, the width won't be a problem for you but the string spacing may be.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Dec 7, 2014,
Quote by Spaz91
Sounds like a good shout to me. Peavey + PBass = indestructible. Make sure you try it out first, just in case. In my experience, guitar shops don;t mind holding onto something for a customer so they can try it out in the shop. IIRC some, if not all, were MIA? Find out when you try it out but don't tell the shop, they might boost the price a li'l.

Also bear in mind that it will have a very chunky neck, the width won't be a problem for you but the string spacing may be.

I've heard the Furys have fairly thin neck in comparison to a Fender P bass.
Did a little research. The Fury II, IV, V, and VI were made in Korea
So if its a Fury I, It's MIA

I don't mind if it's MIK though, The one guitar I've got out of Korea (an 80's Samick, though a relatively expensive one) is built quite well, and is beautiful.
Last edited by guitar42697 at Dec 7, 2014,
I currently play a Gear4music Lexington 5 string and the spacing between the strings is quite tight in my opinion, it's also quite light as well and only £120 so not tha expensive for a decent bass