Got a gibson lpj 2013 model it sounds cool by itself but lacks some chug, when i palm mute it sounds kind of thin? not as beefy or ballsy or full , as my schecter with a jb and my prs with a Dimarzio super distortion, im running the guitar through a bugera 333xl and a egnator Armageddon cab, should I change out the pickup? and if so what would be a good versatile pickup that would sound good for hard rock or metal? or should i just go up in gauge with my strings? im using 10s right now
I dont thinks its your strings (unless theyre old and worn out). And as much as I want to blame the pickup because i dont really like the concept of p90s, i did some searching and plenty of people use them for heavier tones (not death metal heavy necessarily, but heavy). So i would keep the pickup for now.
My first 3 recommendations would be:
1. Raise the pickup height (or try different heights)
2. Add a tubescreamer in front of your amp
3. Use more mids on the amp when youre using the p90.

Try all three of those individually, or altogether, and see if it helps.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

My LPJ sounds very "in your face" but definitely different than a HB guitar. More urgent and with more midrange bite I guess. Closer to Angus Young tone than Petrucci. If you think it sounds thin, adjust your amp for ideal P90 tone or just roll off the guitar treble some. A good LPJ has a pretty unique singing voice like no other Les Paul.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Watterboy
I dont thinks its your strings (unless theyre old and worn out). And as much as I want to blame the pickup because i dont really like the concept of p90s, i did some searching and plenty of people use them for heavier tones (not death metal heavy necessarily, but heavy). So i would keep the pickup for now.

There are no p90s I think it's a 490 and 498 in there
This isnt a Jr guys.

LPJ is a stupid name, everyone gets confused ahah
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by Watterboy

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
That particular pickup set can be a bit thin sounding. The best thing to do is really just readjust for the LPJ with the amp. I like the 490/498 combo in my SG, but they definitely don't have as much chunk as a lot of other pickups.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by boblittle
This isnt a Jr guys.

LPJ is a stupid name, everyone gets confused ahah

Oops, sorry. What does the J standfor, anyways? Or is that literally a name, not an acronym?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Watterboy
Oops, sorry. What does the J standfor, anyways? Or is that literally a name, not an acronym?

I've offered that it stands for Junque, but I get a bit of flack for that from LPJ owners.
Others have suggested that it stands for Henry's last name.

In any case, it's "J" and not Junior.
Quote by Watterboy
And as much as I want to blame the pickup because i dont really like the concept of p90s,

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're saying about the "concept" of P90s.

I've got three old Customs with P90's, a '49 ES-175 with a single P90 in the neck position and a couple of other guitars with P90s here and there (mostly original vintage P90's).

The P90, more than any other pickup, is the original voice of the Les Paul. Still a lot of folks put a P90 in their neck position even if they've got a humbucker in the bridge of their guitars. It cleans up the neck position a LOT. And on a hollowbody guitar it's a gorgeous jazz pickup.

If it's noise you don't like, the best noiseless P90 out there is the Kinman Noiseless. More than any other P90, it still sounds like a real P90. Fralins and others don't.

I'm not a fan of the offerings from pickup winders who've jumped on the P90 bandwagon over the last 5-10 years. Many of them have emasculated the P90 by offering underwound pickups in an attempt to reduce noise a bit. Most of the best vintage guitars have the same P90 in both the bridge and neck positions. It wasn't until well after 1980, after all, that manufacturers began to put humbuckers with different outputs in their guitars, calling them a "volume balanced" (or usually just a "balanced") set. Original LPs didn't come with such nonesense, and one of the reasons that the older Ibanez AR and Yamaha guitars sound MORE like an original LP than what Gibson currently cranks out is that they were built with both pickups identical.
Quote by Cajundaddy
My LPJ sounds very "in your face" but definitely different than a HB guitar. More urgent and with more midrange bite I guess. Closer to Angus Young tone than Petrucci. If you think it sounds thin, adjust your amp for ideal P90 tone or just roll off the guitar treble some. A good LPJ has a pretty unique singing voice like no other Les Paul.

I think a P90 guitar (is your LPJ a P90 guitar or an HB guitar? Most are humbuckers) would be closer to Malcolm Young's ancient Gretsch Jet Firebird than Angus' SG.
Quote by JazzyJaymes
There are no p90s I think it's a 490 and 498 in there

thanks. if so, they're lower in output than your JB. That's just par for the course with lower output pickups- plenty of people like them, but some people think they're a bit weak.

do you have an overdrive pedal? a tubescreamer (digitech bad monkey is good on the cheap) or boss sd1 set up as a boost (drive at or near minimum, level/volume up full, tone at ~2 o'clock) will make your pickups feel a bit more like hotter pickups without having to go to the bother or expense of swapping pickups. plus it'll let you keep your current pickups which will suit lower gain tones better (if you ever play lower gain stuff).

Might be worth considering.

Just bear in mind, only use those pedal settings with an already-distorted amp tone or you'll get a massive volume boost which'll kill your ears.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?